: Number of grease nipples on STS

02-03-07, 11:30 PM
Just for curiosity, how many grease nipples on a STS, if any and if there are, where are they? My friend who owns a STS asked me who only own a 95 SDV... I know mine has 4. But there is a 10 year gap and lay-out difference (FF vs FR).

Anyway, thank you!

robert
02-04-07, 09:43 AM
The 2005/06/07 STS's, Do not have any grease fittings. That was the first thing I did when I had my first service and oil change on my 05 STS, was to check for grease fittings, the service man and I did a thorough check and there are no grease fittings on the STS.

Onalaska
02-04-07, 10:36 PM
Much to my disappointment I can find no grease fittings on my STS. I'm not impressed with the "lubed for life" design. On the other hand I have already had to replace the idler and pitman arms on a 2003 GMC van with only 55,000 miles and they were lubed regularly at every oil change.

02-05-07, 12:37 AM
Thanks for replies!

I agree with Onalaska... "lubed for life" is not good for someone who is planning to keep the car for long time (beyond warranty, I think). But you are also right that even if you grease-up, one with a nipple may not last much longer than one that is sealed for life... Unless grease-loss is attributed to those nipples (which I don't think), having those nipples should not do any harm, then why not to put them. Maybe cost saving?

Oh well, again thank you very much!

ewill3rd
02-05-07, 06:58 AM
They are called "zerks", (for clarity) and there are zero on most new Cadillacs.
Pre-07 Escalade has several on the steering components, I haven't looked at an '07 yet.

malcolm
02-06-07, 09:02 PM
I recall years ago the fitting holes were plugged in many cars and could be removed and replaced with zerks. Might this be the case here?