: NO HEAT!?!? Any suggestions? HELP! BRRR...

blackcadmatt
02-03-07, 05:44 PM
The perp:

'89 Fleetwood Brougham :cool:

The victim/s:

My wife and I :cloud9:

Here's what I have done.

*Cooling system flush with all new anti-freeze.

*New stat and radiator cap.

*Back-flushed the heater core with no surprises or restriction.

*Sheet O' cardboard ahead of the radiator (it werked on my '68 Polara...:p ).

The climate control is functioning properly and all vents and doors are seemingly working as you can hear them open and shut. Occaisionally the car WILL throw heat on LOW, however it's NOT frequent enough for me! I'm at wit's end and Sissy is threatening to quit cooking for me. I can roast marshmallows over the defroster vents in my '83 Coupe DeVille! (They MAY be my next hot meal if I can't figure this Fridgewood Brougham out...)

Any ideas????

Old Fleetwood
02-03-07, 08:53 PM
I have no idea past the "flush and/or backflush the heater core" thing. But unless you have a Factory Service manual for the car, one thing which popped into my mind was what happened to me with my '79 Cordoba:
The vacuum operated door for heat control slipped off the cable controlling it.
I Have no idea if your year Cadillac operates the same way, but with my Cordoba it baffled me until I looked at the book and saw that stupid coil of wire at the end of the cable and saw how it should have been over that crank-like thing that opened and closed a damper leading to the heater core.
It had simply popped off.
The climate control was working just fine, but I was going nuts thinking it was some huge problem :bonkers:

Abadox
02-03-07, 10:00 PM
Sounds like your heater core is shot to me.
It's an easy fix for a Brougham...all on the firewall.

The Ape Man
02-04-07, 09:20 AM
OK so it blows OK except for the temperature? For some reson I have not been into this part of an 86'7'8'9 so take this with a grain of salt. The older cars used a little DC motor with a worm gear to actuate the air mix door. The gears would strip and the door would get stranded somewhere in it's range. All this stuff is housed in a good sized black plastic box that screws down to the HVAC box. It has a linkage which sticks out the top and can be seen. It lives roughly behind the glovebox and down to the left a few inches. Cycle the climate control from max heat to max cool and the linkage should move a whole lot. If it starts clicking like a stripped out little plastic gear would then you have found your problem . Maybe they went back to vacuum with your model. Dunno. If this fixes your problem then take pictures and contact a board moderator to put your repair description somewhere where anyone can find it on this site.

blackcadmatt
02-04-07, 03:57 PM
Well, here's an update. We drove it to Altoona today and upon returning home I smelled the tell-tale anti-freeze leak. There was a small amount of coolant sprayed on and around the heater box, the farthest it reached was the back of the air cleaner. I couldn't pin point the source though.

It IS starting to lean towards the heater core, but why would the leak not appear with the advent of the problem?:suspect:

Any more ideas?

davidrap
02-05-07, 03:07 PM
I vote heater core. The core could have been leaking for a while before you noticed. Check the hoses going in and out of the core. Both the delivery and return hoses should be hot. I bet the return hose is cool or cold and your core is bad. They're easy to change and not too expensive. Good luck!

blackcadmatt
02-07-07, 05:13 PM
Well we have a winner! DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING!

T'was the heater core! It's being swapped-out tomorrow. My mechanic checked the entire system and everything else is good to go! I threw in some new hoses too for GP (like the original hoses would EVER cause a problem... My '83 still has the OEM hoses... tick-tick-tick...)

Thanks Gang!

blackcadmatt
02-12-07, 08:32 PM
We HAD a winner... LOL!

The heater core was fine. I know about the 307's water-pump lethargicness so a new one is going in. If this doesn't fix this car's heater problem I'm at the end of my rope. Sissy's cousin owns the garage where the car's at and he's STUMPED! I've owned several GMs and I've NEVER had this problem. This is Cadillac No.5 for me and the biggest iceberg I've ever rode in!

Any other ideas? My '83 wasn't supposed to see snow this year, and guess what! We drove it Sunday and coulda' made Smores over the defroster vents. As I said in another thread, I put the snow tires on the wrong car...

Is the heater core air-locked? Could the water pump's impeller be that worn? Where's Perry Mason or Ben Matlock when you need them? Ol' Ben drove a Crown Vic! My '78 Town Car had a KILLER heater too!

Now WHAT? Sissy's chompin' on my butt to get her car back and I have NO answers...

elk9300`
02-13-07, 08:10 AM
Where the heater hoses go into the core, there is a vacuum operated devise that runs in-line with the hose that goes into the heater core.

I have this on my 85 FWB and it has auto climate control, it just controls heat going into the core

carnut
02-13-07, 07:05 PM
Did your mechanic pull the glove box and verify the blend door rod was swinging from full cold to full hot? Are both heater hoses the same temperature with the temp setting at 90 degrees? What was the source of the coolant leak? If a water pump impeller was slipping or worn, it would affect engine temperature long before the heater would act up.

The Ape Man
02-13-07, 07:34 PM
We HAD a winner... LOL!

Some of us saw this coming. Re-read my previous post.

Old Fleetwood
02-13-07, 07:58 PM
What about that BLEND-AIR DOOR?
Apparently Cadillacs have something very damn close to what my Cordoba had and what ApeMan noted as well with the motor. But unless the door is connected, noting happens.
On my Cordoba, it was vacuum operated via a cable. As I understand it from the posts above, an electric motor drives such a door. Either way, there's a door involved. Right?:confused:
If so, if the door won't open, you ain't gonna get no heat!:tisk:

Abadox
02-14-07, 01:56 PM
He's prolly froze to death by now.

Old Fleetwood
02-14-07, 02:22 PM
You're likely right.
Haven't we got a member on this BB who drives hearses?
And can't he get up there to take care of the "situation?" :bouncy:

dkozloski
02-14-07, 02:31 PM
Another guy and I drove an old Ford pickup about 200 miles in -40F weather taking turns holding a gasoline blowtorch and driving. We didn't lose any fingers or toes.

blackcadmatt
02-18-07, 07:09 PM
I haven't frozen YET! After a new water pump, heater core and the rest it's still the same. The WP was weak but the new one didn't fix it. I guess we're taking the dash apart, LOL!

After the car came back from the shop it won't even idle down, so a NEW problem... I'll look for loose vacuum lines tomorrow.

What's funny is if you turned the heater OFF... It threw heat just by speed ambience. I don't get it! Blend door???

Thanks guys!

Old Fleetwood
02-18-07, 09:54 PM
WHOA!
Heat varying by speed is EXACTLY what my old Cordoba did! But Mopars ran the blend-air door by vacuum and I gather that Cadillac runs the things by electric motors.
In fact, with the fancy automatic temp control, on a smooth road at a normal speed, the car was so quiet that when all the vacuum-operated stuff was doing it's thing, a buddy riding with me said it sounded like some virgin was sighing as she was being deflowered 'way down inside the dashboard. :bigroll:
Anyhow, to serious-up, once more, could it be that the electric motor that controls the blend-air door varies with the speed of the alternator?:confused:

blackcadmatt
02-20-07, 05:30 PM
Problem solved!

Twas the aqua oscillator after all. The issue was a forgetful mechanic:thepan: , the upper clamp on the NEW lower radiator hose was NEVER tightened. It finally blew off when wifey went to werk yesterday. What's real scary is the car went to Altoona and back on Sunday, US 22/70-mph both ways:confused:

I talked to the owner of the repair shoppe (Sissy's cousin) and he made a substantial adjustment to the repair bill. Since wifey tightened the clamp and refilled the cooling system it was warranted (how many of YOOS have a wife like that?). The cooling system is burping itself and the Ol' Brougham is once again a comfy ride in February and getting better heat by the mile:worship:

It still has to go back due to a new "won't come down from a fast idle issue" but the forgetful monkey-boy mechanic has been informed NOT to touch HER car again.

You guys are great:thumbsup: Thanks for all your help!

As far as the "wifey fixin' the car" thing, that is a topic for a new thread...