: horn sound?

digitalbow
02-03-07, 05:46 PM
hey all, I haven't been around this site much since I traded in my '93 DeVille, but I was wondering what the horn tone is like on the new STS? I'm thinking about putting in a set of Cadillac horns and I came across a pair on eBay. My favorite tones would have to be from the mid-90s Cadillacs (95-99), but I can't find any around.

vBPicGallery: digitalbow's 2003 Altima 3.5SE[/b][/URL][/font][/center]

dkozloski
02-03-07, 06:37 PM
Yes and No!

digitalbow
02-03-07, 09:31 PM
^dkozloski, is there any reason why you erased my post? How is anyone else supposed to provide feedback when you wrote your response over the 1st post in the thread? I know my post count doesn't reflect my being on this forum, but I've been a member for quite some time (over a year)... and I asked a legitimate question.

I'm a former '93 DeVille owner.
Question is - have the horn tones changed much since the mid 90s models? I came across a deal on a new STS hi/low horn set and am wondering if it has the traditional Cadillac sound (mid 90s DeVilles?) I plan on changing out the horns on my new ride

Thanks

Cajonkev
02-04-07, 12:31 PM
The 05 and beyond STS's no longer feature the dual-tone "Caddy" horn that used to be a signature item.

Nowadays it is just a typical single note vanilla horn...

dkozloski
02-04-07, 01:34 PM
^dkozloski, is there any reason why you erased my post? How is anyone else supposed to provide feedback when you wrote your response over the 1st post in the thread? I know my post count doesn't reflect my being on this forum, but I've been a member for quite some time (over a year)... and I asked a legitimate question.

I'm a former '93 DeVille owner.
Question is - have the horn tones changed much since the mid 90s models? I came across a deal on a new STS hi/low horn set and am wondering if it has the traditional Cadillac sound (mid 90s DeVilles?) I plan on changing out the horns on my new ride

Thanks
There is no way for an ordinary member to overwrite or erase another members post. I stand falsely accused. It must be a forum glitch.

Cajonkev
02-04-07, 02:08 PM
There is no way for an ordinary member to overwrite or erase another members post. I stand falsely accused. It must be a forum glitch.

There was definitely a glitch and it was certainly not your fault. I would chalk it up to being one of those things and digitalbow made an incorrect assumption probably in the heat of the moment without any true malice towards you.

I took a look at this thread when it first appeared and yours (not digitalbow's) post was at the top and the only one listed. I thought it was weird that someone would create the topic, not have a post; and then someone else have a post that seemed to make no sense.

It wasn't until digitalbow posted again (his accusation) that his original posting appeared, I then replied to the OP and then your response this morning.

Like I try and train my staff. Always "assume innocence" until the facts come out!

bigdog9586
02-04-07, 03:59 PM
My 07 Caddy horn sounds just like the horn on my 04 Trailblazer did before I turned it in (lease) on the STS so my best guess is GM now uses the same horn on all their vehicles except maybe the super cheap ones if there is such a thing.

digitalbow
02-05-07, 06:06 PM
Thanks all.
Sorry about that. I thought you were a mod and had erased my post.

CADDYBLACK99
02-27-10, 06:51 PM
While we are talking about horns, where is it located? On my Concours it was located behind the battery in the right frint fender. Where is it on the 2006 STS? Any idea if I could add the two other note horns for the classic cadillac horn sound?

jimmbo
02-27-10, 09:26 PM
Ther horn on my STS is rather wimpish. When you sound it, you feel you are meekly pleading/begging "please can you move?" Now with the REAL Cadillacs of yester year, with the four seperate tones, when you leaned it it said GET the F OUT of MY WAY

skippydts
02-27-10, 09:42 PM
The sound of the horn is very important. When I was first starting to drive, I vowed to never purchase a car with a wimpy horn, i.e., Toyota, Honda...etc...

STE_6000
02-27-10, 09:57 PM
haha here ya go

YouTube- Train Horn on Cadillac

z06bigbird
02-28-10, 03:26 AM
Thanks all.
Sorry about that. I thought you were a mod and had erased my post.

I too need to stand up for Koz.
He would not erase your post.
On the other hand, he is one who would know exactly how to do it.
Others here have said the same as what I have said all along:

Koz ain't nearly as dumb as he looks. (His wife likely volunteered that info.) Look at some of his posts/threads.

z06bigbird
02-28-10, 03:31 AM
haha here ya go

YouTube- Train Horn on Cadillac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwhn1w4Pa90)

I bought one of these set ups for a friend. Installer told him/me to put it under rear of his truck. When someone behind you beeps you, blast the hell out of him. 152 decibels.

Unfortunately, not much room under the Caddy to install it, although the guy in the pic/video did it. I suspect he installed the tank and compressor in trunk of car. One of the best systems has about 4 horns, and they take up significant room.

jasii912
05-31-10, 05:30 PM
I too, miss the classic Cadillac sound. I have wanted a Cadillac ever since I saw my Dad's friend's 1953 convertible - and the horn was pure music. I finally was able to buy my own 2006 DTS and the first time I hit the horn I thought there was a malfunction with the system. I was heartbroken to find out GM had decided to remove what had been such a distinctive part of automotive history - the Cadillac sound. I'm still trying to find a horn I can get a mechanic to put in for me. I've got to have the total experience.

kadiLacDaddy
06-01-10, 05:49 AM
my horn sucks I have lost my car in parking lots and set off the panic and it snot till i come 10 feet fromt he car and i can hear the alarm horn
booooo hooo

BaTu
06-01-10, 10:46 AM
Back in 1984, when I was ordering an '85 Riviera, I kind of frivolously checked off the "Four Note Horn" from the order sheet.....

I've always tried to reproduce those horns without luck ;)

GM did know how horns should sound!

corvette00
06-01-10, 11:48 AM
My mother had an 85 Riv with the same horn, it really sounded awsome. I think it was the same horn Cadillac's use to have. I would love to have this on my Escalade. I am not really interested in one of the horns that require a separate compressor.

guitarocker420
06-01-10, 12:41 PM
my grandpas 93 fleetwood kinda sounds like that train horn but not as intense I love it

Lifer
06-02-10, 12:39 PM
Ya'all realize that we are talking about four horns, each with a different note sound, A, C, D, and F. If you buy a set, like on eBay, you will need 14 gauge wire and a new relay, as they puppies take some electricity. But, they will make the dead sit up and take notice. HONK HONK!

turnne
06-04-10, 08:36 AM
Back in 1984, when I was ordering an '85 Riviera, I kind of frivolously checked off the "Four Note Horn" from the order sheet.....

I've always tried to reproduce those horns without luck ;)

GM did know how horns should sound!

I was thinking the same thing
As I recall growing up I remember hearing some Buicks( and perhaps some Oldsmobiles) with the same horn the Caddys had. I figured it must have been an option on them

Warren

corvette00
06-04-10, 11:00 AM
What notes are the stock horns, and how do I buy the others

8.2liter
06-07-10, 11:20 PM
Check ebay for a 4 note Cadillac set and possibly add a relay and some heavy gauge wire.

8.2liter
06-07-10, 11:27 PM
What notes are the stock horns, and how do I buy the others

Your stock horns if you have two are notes A and C. I would recommend replacing all 4 as "they don't make 'em like they used to" and one of your current pair may already be out. Plus on a good day a stock A note or C will not be as loud as the older A,C,D or F. You may also need to add a relay. I am not sure what the horn micro relay amp rating is in your fuse box, but judging from other posts it maybe too small. It also "sounds" like there is only one horn it later model STS's.

STE_6000
06-08-10, 02:23 AM
wait it is 4 horn not 2? im late to this post, but i thought i only saw 2 horns with the bumper off.