: 100% true speculation on 08' CTS V

estatesatty
02-03-07, 04:12 PM
I can't say much because I will cause some nice people trouble. I am from Daytona Beach and grew up in and around racing. I currently own a 2005 CTS-v. My family has been in Daytona for the last 20 years. In that time, we have become friendly with the France family. As a result, I have basically carte blanch access to the track. I say this only to serve some legitimacy to my post...

Last weekend, during the 24 hours, I was speaking with one of the drivers (who will remain nameless). This driver is connected to the GM racing teams and the CTS-V racing program (in ALMS). He told me that he was headed to Michigan in the next few weeks to do some final testing of the new V spec. I asked him, "So are we going to see the LS 7 in a V-spec?" He smiled and said, "it's going to be an interesting set-up." I pressed on "so it'll be the northstar?" He said, "I really can't say, but it is going to be an "interesting" setup." So the last thing I said was, "so you are basically saying no LS 7." To me, while he never answered in the affirmative out loud, he clearly indicated through his gestures and again saying only that it would be "interesting," that the LS 7 is a no go. However, he did not seem to be agreeable to the northstar option either....He also commented the new interior is awsome, while the new exterior is far less edgy in person than the current model.

Any news on what, if there is one, option 3 could be? If I had to roll the dice after my conversation, I say northstar...

rand49er
02-03-07, 04:17 PM
Didn't you have a vise with you to put his nuts in? :bomb:

StealthCTSVJJL
02-03-07, 04:42 PM
How about a supercharged version of the direct injection 300 hp 3.6L V6?
With say 425 hp and less weight? I just sat in the new CTS at the Super Bowl NFL experience in the Caddy area. The interior is an improvement, but now looks more luxury than sport, and the exterior especially in the orangy color they had there looked a little on the blingy side with the fake ports and heavy chrome treatment in front, it was a little to Escalade for me. But it was a six speed manual 300 hp 3.6 direct injection which is probably going to be a pretty decent performer.

urbanski
02-03-07, 04:47 PM
Ls42

rand49er
02-03-07, 04:56 PM
Ls42:yeah:

Urby's on the "vise" squad. :D

V-Max
02-03-07, 05:01 PM
The source probably didn't know as they have not submitted the proposed V to accounting department. :)

Norm

ctsvflorida
02-03-07, 05:16 PM
The attempt to find something out is applauded but the actual info. appears worthless! NEXT!

04CTSVFLA
02-03-07, 05:21 PM
IMO....theyll get rid of the LS powerplant....think about it....cadillac has to spend lots of money to get techs trained on the LS engines JUST FOR OUR CARS!!!! No other car Cadillac sells uses an ls based engine....I feel like switching to a northstar powerplant in the cts-v...while not desireable IMO will probably happen.....maybe an improved version of whats in the xlr-v/sts-v???? But I will hope and pray for something LS based....

urbanski
02-03-07, 05:30 PM
i need to change the title to 100% true speculation....

dqw1
02-03-07, 05:53 PM
i need to change the title to 100% true speculation....
True that Urb.
I thought there was some info in this thread. Kill it fast, nothing new here.

Caderac
02-03-07, 07:21 PM
Sez me . .

rand49er
02-03-07, 08:27 PM
florian should see that. :yup:

CIWS
02-03-07, 08:27 PM
Flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion.

mdc
02-03-07, 08:50 PM
Most disappointing thread ever?

So basically it may or may not be a LS or Northstar motor ... interesting

You know what would make an "interesting" motor ... 300 wheels powered by 300 gerbels

Richard Gere would buy it just for the powerplant ...

austin
02-03-07, 09:14 PM
I'm sure everyone by now has seen these photos of a regular 2008 cts... They look nice. Seems that caddy is going the corvette route, you know, spliting up the years as the torch gets passed on the new body style, like the C1 to the current C6 corvette... But what about the 2008 "V", what will the front end grille setup look like, as well as the badging?

http://www.velocityjournal.com/journal/2008/cadillac/13994ml.html

HushH
02-03-07, 09:27 PM
IMO....theyll get rid of the LS powerplant....think about it....cadillac has to spend lots of money to get techs trained on the LS engines JUST FOR OUR CARS!!!! No other car Cadillac sells uses an ls based engine....I feel like switching to a northstar powerplant in the cts-v...while not desireable IMO will probably happen.....maybe an improved version of whats in the xlr-v/sts-v???? But I will hope and pray for something LS based....

Not quite true. The new Escalade uses the 6.2 liter L92 engine which is the basis for the LS3. I'm guessing we get a supercharged version of this engine in the next V.

Florian
02-03-07, 10:15 PM
florian should see that. :yup:

Oh I see it! Im hungry for some Dinty Moore Chili all of a sudden.

F

estatesatty
02-03-07, 10:36 PM
Sorry you guys don't think this is useful. However, I think confirmation of no LS 7 is quite interesting. My only point was to let everyone know that issue can be laid to rest. As far what the engine will be, I know we have one less issue to deal with since there is no LS 7 in the V's future...

nxlr8
02-04-07, 01:43 AM
Well.. it's true... we know 100% of nothing!

LOL... I'll believe "it" when I see "it"...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-04-07, 02:49 AM
it will be an LS engine, nt LS& itll be

LSD

CIWS
02-04-07, 08:49 AM
Sorry you guys don't think this is useful. However, I think confirmation of no LS 7 is quite interesting. My only point was to let everyone know that issue can be laid to rest. As far what the engine will be, I know we have one less issue to deal with since there is no LS 7 in the V's future...

Maybe you could have just said your source inferred there would be no LS7 engine, but something else ?

CVP33
02-04-07, 09:10 AM
I was frankly not going to get into this thread, but with all the misinformation and conjecture floating around, I thought it only appropriate that I added to it. My father worked for GM for over 30 years. We consistently saw, heard or actually drove vehicles far in advance of the general public. On many occassions we even got to drive "evaluation" vehicles on the weekend. AND I TOO HAVE SOURCES!

On a recent trip back to Michigan for the Detroit Auto Show, I ran into one of my dad's old friends. I couldn't believe it! It's been roughly 10 years but I immediately recognized him and he, me. I explained to him that I was still a "car nut" and have owned a 2004 and 2005 CTS-V. He said, ME TOO! I shared with him that I was VERY interested in the 2008/09 CTS-V. He replied, ME TOO! I leaned a little closer and asked, do you have any insider info? He wispered, YUP, but I can't tell you everything.

So now we began the dance. I asked LS7? He said the F word and shook. I asked LS2? He replied with bull$hit! Then I asked LS3? He started rocking back and forth and said, WITH?........ I blurted out supercharger?! His eye started twitching and he stuttered, I, I, c-can't tell you. We talked for another 5 minutes or so and he confirmed Quaife rear diff, with heavily modified rear suspension. Completely revised. A beefier 6 speed with an auto option.

I can't tell you guys how excited I was after this exchange of information. The worst part was at the end when I realized I was talking to a homeless man with tourrete's syndrome and not one of my father's old friends. Now if you read this entire post, you have some understanding of how I felt after rushing in here for the "100% true info'."

rand49er
02-04-07, 09:18 AM
The suspense is killing me! :bonkers:

Staying pushrod keeps it very so-called "American" and keeps the same demographic market. Going 4V OHC NA or FI goes RIGHT AT the Germans and goes for the toysnot market.

The "very interesting" statement could be interpreted in a million ways.

If FI, would it involve Eaton ... do they have the capacity for another few thousand SC's? On an LS2?

If NA and not LS7 or LS2, then what? A scaled up version of the N*? We would've heard something.

Anyway, all we've got is "very interesting" from someone who's perspective is, for the most part, unknown. Sorta sounds like Caddy/GM is deviating from what would normally be expected, but we really just don't know anything new.

EDIT: I just read CVP's post!!! 500 HP HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

estatesatty
02-04-07, 09:53 AM
You guys are completely missing the point...if you want you want to act like the info's worthless, do so...there was one fact gleaned from the conversation that no one else has been able to report with anu certainty...

NO LS 7...

if anyone else knew that before, I have not read it...furthremore, one can clearly infer that the package is not the "standard" one we all expect. Which for a forum, does the proper thing...stimulates new and interesting discussion.

Therefore, stop complaining and be happy that I was able to get something that no one else new before and let me know how right I was about the LS 7 when the details are actually released...

rand49er
02-04-07, 09:55 AM
... stop complaining and be happy ...:D <-- me

HiTechRV
02-04-07, 09:56 AM
The logic is pretty simple:

The manual CTS-V is not going away.

GM is NOT going to invest in making a manual for the Northstar.

Therefore: Small block V forever.

I think anyone who thinks it will be a Northstar will be BLOWN away by the small block V.

That's the word on the street.

dannystang
02-04-07, 10:09 AM
I was frankly not going to get into this thread, but with all the misinformation and conjecture floating around, I thought it only appropriate that I added to it. My father worked for GM for over 30 years. We consistently saw, heard or actually drove vehicles far in advance of the general public. On many occassions we even got to drive "evaluation" vehicles on the weekend. AND I TOO HAVE SOURCES!

On a recent trip back to Michigan for the Detroit Auto Show, I ran into one of my dad's old friends. I couldn't believe it! It's been roughly 10 years but I immediately recognized him and he, me. I explained to him that I was still a "car nut" and have owned a 2004 and 2005 CTS-V. He said, ME TOO! I shared with him that I was VERY interested in the 2008/09 CTS-V. He replied, ME TOO! I leaned a little closer and asked, do you have any insider info? He wispered, YUP, but I can't tell you everything.

So now we began the dance. I asked LS7? He said the F word and shook. I asked LS2? He replied with bull$hit! Then I asked LS3? He started rocking back and forth and said, WITH?........ I blurted out supercharger?! His eye started twitching and he stuttered, I, I, c-can't tell you. We talked for another 5 minutes or so and he confirmed Quaife rear diff, with heavily modified rear suspension. Completely revised. A beefier 6 speed with an auto option.

I can't tell you guys how excited I was after this exchange of information. The worst part was at the end when I realized I was talking to a homeless man with tourrete's syndrome and not one of my father's old friends. Now if you read this entire post, you have some understanding of how I felt after rushing in here for the "100% true info'."

Your best post ever.

HushH
02-04-07, 11:00 AM
estatesatty,

I think we're all happy for most any info that can be provided here. However, I think your post could have been titled better - something like "No LS7 in the next V", or something like that. Also, his quote, "it's going to be an interesting set-up", doesn't really indicate anything one way or the other to me, so you're 100% true statement doesn't seem to make sense either.

Florian
02-04-07, 11:34 AM
its all bullshit.

F

ctsvflorida
02-04-07, 12:12 PM
You guys are completely missing the point...if you want you want to act like the info's worthless, do so...there was one fact gleaned from the conversation that no one else has been able to report with anu certainty...

NO LS 7...

if anyone else knew that before, I have not read it...furthremore, one can clearly infer that the package is not the "standard" one we all expect. Which for a forum, does the proper thing...stimulates new and interesting discussion.

Therefore, stop complaining and be happy that I was able to get something that no one else new before and let me know how right I was about the LS 7 when the details are actually released...

I indeed reported this a couple of months back in a post! I am not one to search 40 threads to find it, but you sure can!
I stated that one of the higher ups from Caddy was at the dealer and started talking to me and I asked some questions, that he too would not confirm, but gave me some round about (Is that one word?) answers. One of those answers was no LS7 but 500hp and an auto! Does anyone remember this? Anyway, your news is old news and I know that it seems like you're taking a lot of flak for it, but I am sure it is appreciated that you tried...by some of us!

It is just the way you chose to post it I am sure.

CVP: Need I say anything? :histeric:

rand49er
02-04-07, 12:31 PM
its all bullshit.

F:histeric: There it is ... I knew it was coming!

CVP33
02-04-07, 12:32 PM
its all bullshit.

F

That's what the homeless man said! I mean dwelling impaired. Didn't mean to offend anyone. :duck:

BadCad
02-04-07, 02:16 PM
all these posts about what might, what could be, what's been heard.......

mental masturbations! :helpless:

rand49er
02-04-07, 02:52 PM
... mental masturbations! :helpless:Can he say that?

Jpjr
02-05-07, 04:20 AM
Actually I believe I was the first person on here to claim no LS7. I didn't have inside info though, just common sense. That is a hand built niche motor that would cost mega bucks to build and warranty in even a mid production model such as a V. It's fine for an extremely low volume rocket ship like a 75k Z06.

GM is back in the business of making money. The most logical option for the next V is a small block pushrod LS3 with around 500hp. I would guess it will continue to mirror the output of the base '09 Corvette. Six months ago I would not have thought 500 was even a goal, until I heard more than one rumor that GM execs would like the V to give the M5 a run for its money in performance.

ctsvflorida
02-05-07, 11:13 AM
Actually I believe I was the first person on here to claim no LS7. I didn't have inside info though, just common sense. That is a hand built niche motor that would cost mega bucks to build and warranty in even a mid production model such as a V. It's fine for an extremely low volume rocket ship like a 75k Z06.

GM is back in the business of making money. The most logical option for the next V is a small block pushrod LS3 with around 500hp. I would guess it will continue to mirror the output of the base '09 Corvette. Six months ago I would not have thought 500 was even a goal, until I heard more than one rumor that GM execs would like the V to give the M5 a run for its money in performance.

Well, many of us had an idea of no LS7 and who was first isn't a concern but not doing it because of cost is not the issue IMO. I have heard that the price of an LS7 is coming down already and beside that, the car will cost in the $62-$70k range anyway. This price would give them $10k extra (at $63k list!) so, I rule cost out. Someone will find out the reason for no LS7 sooner or later.

The Tony Show
02-05-07, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I recall talking to someone who knew a guy who went to college with a person who thinks he remembers an acquaintance at General Motors telling him that a person he talked to in the cafeteria sneaked a peek at a memo from someone talking about a rumor that they heard that the CTS-V would have over 500hp.

That's confirmed, people. He told me himself.

lawfive
02-11-07, 01:57 PM
Ahahaha Chris :histeric:

I didn't even know Chrysler owners could have a sense of humor.

rand49er
02-11-07, 02:55 PM
Ahahaha Chris :histeric:

I didn't even know Chrysler owners could have a sense of humor.They have no choice. :D