: Looking at an 04 with a 6 cyl

EAS1
02-03-07, 11:40 AM
I am going to look at a 2004 SRX at a Jag. dealership. The car has 25K+ miles on the engine, the view roof, and nav. It is being offered under $27000.
Is the six ok?Or should I put this car off and wait for an N*8. I sure could use some help!
EAS1

c5 rv
02-03-07, 12:12 PM
Price is too high. Do a quick search here on the forum, there are a bunch of theads about V6 v. V8. To me, if you are getting RWD, a V6 is fine. If you are getting AWD and want to do more than just putt around town, I'd prefer the V8.

I'd either get something at a good price from a private party or Certified Pre-Owned from a Cadillac dealer. I just did an Autotrader search. Here's a private party car in metro Detroit - $25,500 for an AWD V8 with 22k miles:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=193987016&dealer_id=57303995&car_year=2004&model=SRX&num_records=&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=100&make=CAD&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48843&advanced=&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=30

Here's a 2005 V6 certified pre-owned from Scott (on this site) just down the road from me with 23K miles for $25,500:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=213797891&dealer_id=72332&car_year=2005&model=SRX&num_records=&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=y&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=certified&distance=100&make=CAD&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48843&advanced=&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=8

Make sure you get a full service report for the VIN from a Cadillac dealer. Some cars had more than their share of problems. Some are just fine.

Good luck and :welcome:

EAS1
02-03-07, 01:01 PM
Thank you for your advice. I think I will continue to look.
EAS1

billjesnen
02-03-07, 03:41 PM
Just amplifying what C5 rv said, going to a certified pre-owned car from a Caddy dealer will give you the 6 year 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty. That is worth a lot of money to you. In addition, depending on where you are located, you may actually find some brand new '05 SRXs RWD still around. I did when visiting my mom during the holidays, and they wanted about $28K for them.
Best of luck shopping!

b4z
02-03-07, 04:58 PM
Go certified. You are going to need the extended warranty.

GMJim
02-04-07, 12:55 PM
I owned a 04 V6 RWD. Just got an 06 V8 AWD. No comparision. I would not own a V6 again. Look around. There are still quite a few 06's on the lot, and
are full of rebates. You could probally get a new vehicle pretty close to what you were going to pay for used. GM employee discount helps alot also.

c5 rv
02-04-07, 03:32 PM
GMJim is making me covet extra cylinders.

billjesnen
02-04-07, 04:29 PM
Wait until gas hits $3+ again, then those of us with 8 cylinders will covet your cars ;-)

TSS
02-04-07, 08:17 PM
honestly who cares about two or three miles per gallon when you already spent the dough on a late model cadillac .

GMJim
02-05-07, 07:45 AM
honestly who cares about two or three miles per gallon when you already spent the dough on a late model cadillac .

Right on!!!!!.............Just like a Hummer. If you can't afford the gas, shouldn't have bought the vehicle.

guitarbob
02-07-07, 11:07 AM
For what it's worth, I have an 04, V-6 AWD and I think it is a great vehicle. Been through the mountains of Colorado, across the plains, in the city, never a prblem with performance. Not to say there weren't any problems at first, but they have all been taken care of and the car has been problem free for the last 2 years. I will buy another SRX in about 2 years and will probably get the V-6 again. Good luck.

GMJim
02-07-07, 11:33 AM
guitarbob, That's what I used to think until I got a V8. I have a 64 round trip highway comute everyday. I don't tow anything, and don't drive hard. I didn't need a V8. I still don't, But know that I have one.............WHOA!!!!!!!!!! My advice is don't drive a V8, and you won't know what your missing. It's all the about instant acceleration without the transmission downshifting. Freeway entry, and passing is a blast!

MortnCyn
02-08-07, 01:32 PM
guitarbob, That's what I used to think until I got a V8. I have a 64 round trip highway comute everyday. I don't tow anything, and don't drive hard. I didn't need a V8. I still don't, But know that I have one.............WHOA!!!!!!!!!! My advice is don't drive a V8, and you won't know what your missing. It's all the about instant acceleration without the transmission downshifting. Freeway entry, and passing is a blast!
True, but if one is inclined to buy only V6 vehicles they will like the SRX. I know better than to test drive one, a V8 that is. Still can get the MARK VIII out on the highway on occasion.

TSS
02-08-07, 04:38 PM
I traded my Tahoe in on my SRX. Then, I got rid of my sports car after driving the my SRX v8 for a month. Honestly, I did not need it anymore. The v8 gave me all the power I need to have fun. Plus, with the ultraview, the open top features of the sports car were not important either.