: Shifting the powerband up

HiTechRV
02-03-07, 09:12 AM
So the combination of lots of low end and torque, coupled with tiny width tires, changes all the rules for bolt ons to a car (or seems to to me).

For example, super low restriction exhaust? Normally too large an exhaust is undesireable 'cause it sacrafices low end torque for peak HP. In a ricer this usually kills their performance on the street but gives nice dyno numbers. On a V it shifts the power up to where you might have a chance of getting it to the road.

Wild cam shaft - Normally a flat torque curve is optimum for performance plus driveability. In a V (especially with an LS2) a peaky cam might make it easier to hook up. You LS6 guys might have the better stock cam.

CAI? Preserves or improves air temp of intake while increasing flow - normally good. Open underhood cone? Sucks in hot air (really only hot after a heat soak, and only at 10-30 mph on the first run), but gives more high RPM air flow. So on a V I like what an open cone does - helps traction at low rpms with a hot engine, helps HP at high RPMs.

Any other mods I'm missing that can shift power up the RPM band?

Chef
02-03-07, 10:26 AM
maggie/procharger
headers
cam - custom grind
ported & polished heads, 90mm throttle body ported
a good tuneJust a few ideas to throw into your recipe. Mix and match as you see fit.

Powerband needs a tune to match your peek power per rpm's and in a sense find your holy grail for each gear...click and save.

Chef

Dennisscars
02-03-07, 10:44 AM
overhead cam motor...

thebigjimsho
02-03-07, 02:06 PM
That's what I'd like is to get a peaky cam with heavier duty springs and adjust the tune to hit 7-7200rpm. Then I won't hit the rev limiter nearing Turn 5 at Putnam Park...

urbanski
02-03-07, 03:06 PM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/5742/suzuki1300hayabusa3quarad2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

HiTechRV
02-04-07, 11:39 AM
Chef and Jim good points. It's funny cause on a ricer or 4 valve, you want the opposite. The engines are too peaky from the factory and you have no grunt.

I am thinking whatever cam profile the LS6 has in the LS2 would be an awesone start.

Can a tune alone shift the powerband? I'd think you wouldn't want to - since with you want peak output out of the engine at each RPM at WOT. But in addition to hardware a tune makes a ton of sense, to get the new hardware working like it should.

wildwhl
02-04-07, 11:47 AM
urby's suggestion isn't safe enough...go with Chef's new ride...

Chef
02-04-07, 04:04 PM
Can a tune alone shift the powerband? I'd think you wouldn't want to - since with you want peak output out of the engine at each RPM at WOT. But in addition to hardware a tune makes a ton of sense, to get the new hardware working like it should.

Yes, a tune can put your shift points slash rev limiter where you want them but remember that you need to see where your powerband is relative to your mods - No use shifting in the 7's if you're at stock...waste of power -

Search for a chart/graph that I believe Stealth had out there on each gears powerband...Good stuff.

or go for my new ride and sling it around like greasy hash browns:stirpot:

EDIT: It's not my new ride...:thumbsup: but I loved the over ez color:bigroll:

HiTechRV
02-04-07, 10:05 PM
I'd love to see the LS2 shift table - it will be different I think.

atdeneve
02-09-07, 03:03 PM
Chef, if this is the graph you're talkin' bout, it shows that even at stock power, with an increase of rev limit, the V would have gains in acceleration, as well as top speed. The chart shows that there is still a greater accelerative thrust to be had riding out the lower gear until the indicated rpm for each shift point. We'd also possibly hit a top speed of a bit over 180, that is, if we don't hit an impenetrable wall of air first. Yeah, 7-7.5K redline would be nice. Oooh, sure would be. But I guess you'll be getting that with your Katech crate. Luckee bastage, you. Which block? LS7 427 Air Attack - you were gonna put TTs on that, right?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/shiftperf.jpg

Chef
02-09-07, 09:04 PM
I think that was it. Looks like it flattens slightly as I'm currently at 7k-7.3k. I stand corrected if that's a stock block graft. I'm doing crazy heads and a very aggressive cam along with new clutch and some more goodies -

Depends on my bonus check in 3 weeks:) for the TT, or procharger(s):yup:

Motor alone I'm looking for 560's to the wheel without TT or procharger...Maybe 8k redline:cookoo:

atdeneve
02-10-07, 02:26 PM
8 gR@nd redline! Whew, I'm lovin' it! Looking forward to what craziness you got brewing over there. Think the desert heats got ya a bit psyko ... in a good way. Sheit, I wanna be psyko, too. It's just that ... it seems to take a bit of coin to be on that level of cookoo, which I wanna be at. Maybe, I'll just sign myself into a looney bin. That's the ticket.