: Clutch Replacement only?

510ctsV
02-03-07, 12:15 AM
Alright its about that time...I went to the dealership to get the diff replaced and the technician did see/hear the problem and told the service writer(or some head guy) that it had to be replaced. But he said that they are not replacing the whole thing no more...they are just replacing the clutch(or something along those lines). Bottom line is i feel like i am getting short changed. Any ideas or comments or documantation to show them that i should get the whole end replaced would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I have an 05 bought in sep. 04. The car was fine until i had the fluid changed at my request(recommendation i saw on cadillacfaq). Any how the whole war about it being limited slip diff/needing additive took...blah blah blah. Well they didnt put the additive and from the time i picked up the car the noises started to occur. So i had some other dealership properly flush and refill. Now the noise is only when im driving slowly making full turns.

Now with that long story being said, some has suggested that its really not that bad and it can be worse if i were to get it replaced. Just asking peoples thoughts. Im gonna try to push for the replacement for the whole rear end.

Rey
02-03-07, 10:35 AM
I also have an '05 and had the rear end fluid changed; and it was changed without the additive, even though I requested it. Then the noise developed on slow short radius turns. I believe this noise is from the "clutches" in the limited slip differential abruptly engaging and releasing without the additive, which smoothes engagement. This went on for about 5-10K miles until I changed the fluid myself, this time with the addiitive mixed into the fluid. The noise progressively went away.
Your dealer may want to just replace the differnential "clutches", which will restore the rear end clutch assembly to new-like condition.
I don't launch my Caddy, and try to drive it smoothly. Nevertheless, by 40K miles the rear end had become noisy. It was particularly noticeable at 30 mph under light throttle. Dealer replaced the rear end under warranty. The work sheet said "front bearing failure".
You might mention to the dealer that it is highly likely your rear end will fail within the warranty period, and it is cost effective to replace it now rather than just do the clutch repair.
On the other hand, if your rear end is to be replaced under warranty it is advantageous to have it replaced near the end of the warranty period so you can begin warrantyless ownership with a new rear end.

510ctsV
02-04-07, 06:51 PM
On the other hand, if your rear end is to be replaced under warranty it is advantageous to have it replaced near the end of the warranty period so you can begin warrantyless ownership with a new rear end.

Good Point. I, however, dont drive the v out much. Its a little over 2 years old and I have 22000+ miles. So 27000 miles to go and or 2+ years before warranty is up. Would it be wise to get sometype of extended warranty?

ctsvflorida
02-04-07, 07:30 PM
I do not know what is with your service people but my guys told me that they are, indeed, putting in the additive! I didn't even ask!