: Check coolant level message appeared twice in 6 months

weister42
02-02-07, 10:58 PM
Last spring I had to top off my coolant and just today I got the message again, I don't ever see any coolant leak under my car so uh, where did it go? Is it normal to lose coolant over a long period of time say, 6~7 months? It is really cold today, wind chill is around -20, if that matters.

krimson_cardnal
02-02-07, 11:40 PM
Only to your skin.

Look closely at your radiator. The side tanks - at the top. They fail. Tiny leaks begin.

Any sweet [antifreeze] smell in the cabin? Core might have a slow leak... All hose connections clean and dry?

It's there, hard to locate but it'll show up.

How many of what type of mileage you put on in six months. Periodic bi-weekly checks are in order. K_C

weister42
02-03-07, 01:15 AM
Only to your skin.

Look closely at your radiator. The side tanks - at the top. They fail. Tiny leaks begin.

Any sweet [antifreeze] smell in the cabin? Core might have a slow leak... All hose connections clean and dry?

It's there, hard to locate but it'll show up.

How many of what type of mileage you put on in six months. Periodic bi-weekly checks are in order. K_C

It's dark now so I can't see much, but no smell in the cabin or anything. My car runs at 191~199 degrees while moving and less than 228 degrees in traffic, it has been that way since I bought it used three years ago. The engine has just over 120k and had plugs & wires, fuel filter and regular 3,000 mile oil change. Going in to replace a top engine mount in a couple of days.

Ranger
02-03-07, 11:41 AM
No, it is not normal to have to top off the coolant every 6 months. It is leaking somewhere. When I got the low coolant warning on my '97 Deville I found a hairline crack on the surge tank nipple that the purge line connects to. It was so small that I could just barely see it slowly weep at idle. Dried Dex will leave a whitish residue. Surge tank and side tanks are highly susceptible and small cracks can hide where they cannot be seen.

misfit6794
02-03-07, 12:42 PM
What kind of maintenance have you performed on the cooling system? I would have it pressure tested, makes it much easier to locate a leak, especially a small one.

weister42
02-04-07, 03:58 PM
It is way too cold outside to do anything, but I do have a few places that I want to check out tomorrow when I get my oil changed.

codewize
02-06-07, 11:25 PM
You know I find this interesting. I changed my coolant in July. It's been fine until a few days ago when it first got blistering cold. I also got the check coolant level. I went out and looked and it was halfway down the translucent part of the tank, so I topped it off.

I found it very strange and wanted to relate it to the extreme cold also.

dkozloski
02-07-07, 02:27 AM
You know I find this interesting. I changed my coolant in July. It's been fine until a few days ago when it first got blistering cold. I also got the check coolant level. I went out and looked and it was halfway down the translucent part of the tank, so I topped it off.

I found it very strange and wanted to relate it to the extreme cold also.
After topping off your coolant tank cold, when your rig gets up to operating temperature again it's going to push out the excess. When it cools off overnight you might make a mark on the tank with a Sharpie and this would be the real cold temp max level. Extreme cold for a Cadillac is below -40F actual, not wind chill baloney. All systems are validated for temperatures down to that level according to our old engineer buddy..

codewize
02-07-07, 04:36 PM
Good idea. So when we discuss the meeting of the black and translucent plastic as the full line we're talking about full hot. Full cold is obviously different but should it be enough to show low coolant? Not until -40 deg, right. Yeah I understand wind chill has nothing to do with inanimate objects. :)

I didn't fill it BTW I just added a little to appease the system. I think I brought it back up the the meeting line.

After topping off your coolant tank cold, when your rig gets up to operating temperature again it's going to push out the excess. When it cools off overnight you might make a mark on the tank with a Sharpie and this would be the real cold temp max level. Extreme cold for a Cadillac is below -40F actual, not wind chill baloney. All systems are validated for temperatures down to that level according to our old engineer buddy..

Ranger
02-07-07, 05:37 PM
So when we discuss the meeting of the black and translucent plastic as the full line we're talking about full hot
No, that is full cold. That gives it room for expansion.

codewize
02-07-07, 10:42 PM
Ok so then it was a little low. It was about halfway down the white plastic. Do you think in my case it could have been air left over from the change? I've probably done 10k miles since then

No, that is full cold. That gives it room for expansion.

Ranger
02-07-07, 10:50 PM
It is possible if you have not checked it since then. If you have and it was OK, then you may have minor seepage somewhere. That is not a lot of decrease in 10K. Bring it back to where it belongs and keep an eye on it.