Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How bout this idea: Northstar in a golfcart?

805 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  90Brougham350 
#1 ·
So let's say I happen to have a Northstar engine w/ tranny and steering/suspension, plus computer..

And let's say I have a gas powered golf cart.

Not that I'm planning on undertaking such a project, but what do you guys think of the idea of putting the Northstar into the golfcart, RWD of course?

A possibility?

#2 ·
Well if it works then ZOMG V8 Golf cart!!! That's Digg material there!

A few things though, I assume you're gonna do a rear engine, RWD setup? If so then you'll need some weight in the front so it doesn't do wheelies when you step on the gas. Gas tank might be an issue as V8s use a lot of gas and to play two 18-hole courses will need some decent sized gas tank so your caddy won't have to carry a tank of gas, or should he?

"Hey caddy go get some gas for my caddy!"

#7 ·
I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more interested I am in attempting it.. tho I don't think I'd try with the Northstar most likely, but rather something a little more expendable.. and definitely after I finish up with other projects,

I searched google for "13bew golfcart" and didn't see anything, could only find a lotta snowmobile engine swaps into golfcarts.

#8 ·
Honestly I don't know if it would work. I've been through the hassle of putting a snowmobile engine in a golf cart, a 399cc two-stroke Kohler into an '88 Club Car, and that was a nightmare in itself. The N* weighs a hell of a lot more than a little 15-horse golf cart motor, so the suspension would need a lot of work. Second, it would be extremely wide, much wider than the body of the cart, especially with the transmission and wheels on there. Third, you'd need a radiator somewhere. And let's be honest, a golf-cart isn't that big. I hate to say it wouldn't work, but the headaches I went through with a friend putting a simple snowmobile engine into a golf-cart, and not changing anything but the motor, leaving the tranny and everything the same, well, that was enough to drive a man mad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.