: Ultraview Roof

scout01
02-01-07, 04:02 PM
It was about 25 degrees outside and I accidentaly pressed the button to open the ultraview roof, when I wanted to only open the roof liner. The Ultraview roof opened up real slow, and then when I went to close it I had to hold down the button and the roof would mover about an inch, then stop. Needless to say it took about 3 minutes to close the roof a little over 2 feet. Is there a problem with the motor? Or was it just too cold out for the roof to close properly? I just bought it in August and it's an '06 V6 with 3rd row seating. Any help would be appreciated.

TSS
02-01-07, 04:53 PM
Mine is very slow in the cold. But not 3 minutes slow. More like 20-30 seconds slow - which seems like a lot at the time.

billjesnen
02-01-07, 06:52 PM
My Ultraview had the same issue upon delivery from Lindsay Cadillac in mid January. (among other stuff). The service department lubricated it, and it works fine now here in cold DC. At first when I had the problem, I thought it would not close at all, and it took a lot of pushing for short bursts to get it closed, as it would close a bit and then go backwards (with screaming from the new owner). Ask them to take a look at it, and hopefully a little lubrication will be all it needs.

GMJim
02-02-07, 07:30 AM
I don't work very fast in the cold either. Mine is slow. I think it's just a "cold thing"

robhersch
02-02-07, 12:47 PM
Suggest trying a 'dry lubricant'; I have found a spray can of one that works for me: RD-50 (from Lowes, I recall); 800-435-4447 or www.rd-50.com
Hope it works for you; Good Luck

Kalibr
02-02-07, 02:40 PM
Mine was working somewhat slow as well and would stop every time it would hit the wind deflector. I took it in for service and it works much better now. I'm not sure if they adjusted something or simply lubricated the mechanism.

dcarr66
02-02-07, 06:30 PM
There's a TSB regarding the Ultraview reversing when you try to close it. I had the same problem when my '06 was delivered last month. I think they ended up replacing it. The paperwork said that the track was misaligned.

jorozco
03-19-07, 09:09 AM
I have a 2006 SRX with 20,000 miles and experienced the same problem on a cold (about 42deg.) evening. I opened it and could not close it. I finally got it closed by forcing it with my arms. I took it in to the dealer and all they had to do was lube it.
It works alot better and faster to open and close. The symptoms when a lube is needed are a slow open and close and automatically retracts easily.

Hope this helps.

sunbumz
04-17-07, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, spray the track with silicone spray. Silicone will not pick up dirt, it will dry dry and will move the ultraview without much effort to the motor.

dknobby40
04-18-07, 11:16 AM
I have to take my 04 SRX in at least once a year for realignment. The last time I took it in they upgraded the motor and it slammed shut and hesitated,(dealer screw up), The service supervisor told me they called the manufacturer of the roof and they recommended a different lube than GM. The manufacturer said the GM lube will swell the tracks. Go Figure!! I'm going to try that rz-50 dry lube as relubricating does seem to work. It is comforting to know that even after 4 years GM still doesn't have this roof problem fixed. HAHA :crybaby:

MortnCyn
04-19-07, 06:36 AM
Have not had the need yet but saved this just in case.
http://www.rd-50.com/

TSS
04-19-07, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, spray the track with silicone spray. Silicone will not pick up dirt, it will dry dry and will move the ultraview without much effort to the motor.

How long have you been using this method with success? Dealer says dry lube is the way to go. BUT, I have silicone at home, not dry lube.....

Fyreman235
04-19-07, 02:56 PM
Had the same problem with my 05 the first winter, but the dealer fixed it. Remember the old Henny Youngman joke where the guy tells the doctor "It hurts when I do this", and the doctor says "Don't do this"? When I told the service guy that the roof didn't work in the cold, he said "Don't open the roof in the cold". Just a joke, I hope, but he did lube it and it worked after that.