: Goodyear Credit Issue

daytripper
02-01-07, 02:58 PM
There probably aren't many folks left in this boat, but I'm having an issue with my Goodyear credit on the F1 runflats. Mine are worn down to the past the wearbars into smooth tread (and I've been told cords on at least one tire). Goodyear customer service set me up with a credit, but due I can't find any tires for the V except RSA runflats, which I passed on. Goodyear argues these tires have the same performance characteristics as F1s, and you'd have to be a race car driver on a track to tell the difference. As I said, I passed.

Apparantly, GS-D3s have been on backorder since the Fall due to their popularity and the strike. F1 runflats were also not available. Goodyear dealer refuses to install anything other than stock size, and customer service agrees. Apparantly production is beginning with high volume sellers and winter/all season. I was told it could be another month for GS-D3 production to begin.

After some bickering, they agreed to extend the credit to other brands, but only those my dealer carries -- Dunlop and Kelly. They had nothing in Kelly in our size and only the Sport Maxx in Dunlop. After more cajoling, they agreed to allow me to purchase any brand from Tire Rack. I was going with Michelin PS2s, but they threw in a catch -- they would drasticlly cut my credit.

They had me over a barrel and told me the credit was not guaranteed -- just a courtesy from Goodyear to me. What could I say. I was just about to throw in the towel, and take the RSAs. I asked national customer service to do one last search and I think they may have located a set of GS-D3s in Texas. Crossing my fingers as I feel I'm out of options.

My question is, Is there anyone out there whose tried to use the F1 credit in the last month or two? If so can you share how you worked it out? My dealer threw up his arms and told me I was out of options -- I could wait and get a set of GS-D3s in the April timeframe when they were once again available (Tire Rack also estimated April-May availability when I called them).

I've parked my car for most of the past month, as between the cold and the baldies/cordies, its a bit unnerving. I really can't believe Goodyear is still in business. Unless I am able to get the GS-D3s and they are to die for, I'm taking my business to Michelin or Bridgestone for my next set.

Brian R.

thebigjimsho
02-01-07, 03:10 PM
Please, GS-D3s are good but not to die for. The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx would be just as good a tire.

The only tire to die for are PS2s.

daytripper
02-01-07, 03:20 PM
Please, GS-D3s are good but not to die for. The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx would be just as good a tire.

The only tire to die for are PS2s.

You really think they're that good? TireRack has them on sale for $120 each. I believe its like the second cheapest tire they sell for the V. Seems like a waste of over $400 per tire Goodyear credit to me. I'd just as soon buy them straight up. If they really are any good, that's a steal.

I'm not really dying to get the GS-D3s, but stepping out of Goodyear into something else (i.e., PS2s) was going to take a much bigger bite out of my wallet under the tire credit deal.

Brian R.

thebigjimsho
02-01-07, 03:35 PM
I've had the SP Sport Maxx and I think they''re excellent, phenomenal in the rain...

But yeah, that's a waste of credit.

NIK
02-01-07, 03:54 PM
I got the RS-A runflats over a year ago and couldn't be happier - at least I can drive in the snow if I have to, and I get grip when it's cold ..... and, to boot, I got 1.0G on my G meter ...... IMO they are great for everyday driving, even "spirited." And they are wearing well and even.

CTSV04
02-01-07, 03:55 PM
Goodyear sent me a check for $671 last month. The check has been deposited and obviously can be used any way I choose. I simply called the 1-800# for Goodyear and they handled it from there.

hurley64
02-01-07, 04:32 PM
I've had the SP Sport Maxx and I think they''re excellent, phenomenal in the rain...

But yeah, that's a waste of credit.

THREADJACK, I just oredered the Sport Maxx, how would you compare them to all time favs?

I mainly decidided to go with these cause of price and the hope to put some 19s on the V this fall.

John

ctsvflorida
02-01-07, 05:00 PM
I've got a lot of experience with goodyear and will say that teir customer service is excellent! I am not sure why you metioned that you would not buy their tires again as they are giving you $400 per tire credit when they do not have to!? I don't get it, but anyway, the F1's are just too soft and prolly handle better than most tires, hence the fast wearing down of them. I used my credit on GS-D3's and I think they are great but overpriced. My tires had an issue with balancing so they wanted to order me a whole new set and did just that...8 months ago! Yes, I know, that's a long time but I have put 12k miles on these and the new ones still aren't in so it is like free tires once again. The balancing issue is barely a problem and hardly noticable. I will tell you that the GS-D3's have a long tread life as mine still look brand new. I would say I would get 40k miles out of them.

Anyway, what I would do if I were you is, get the least expensive tires (I am sure you only need backs badly) for the back and wait for your tire of choice from goodyear to come in and either burn them up like you did the others or sell them for half price. Here is an option if you want the PS2's (which I hear are the best) just buy them and offer your new tires to someone who wants F1's or GSD3's and sell them at a discount. If you search now you will find someone to pay you good money for tires of their choice from goodyear. Believe me, their are people who still replace our tires with the same F1's...you just need to find them!

thebigjimsho
02-01-07, 05:31 PM
THREADJACK, I just oredered the Sport Maxx, how would you compare them to all time favs?

I mainly decidided to go with these cause of price and the hope to put some 19s on the V this fall.

JohnThe only noticeable difference is turn in. The Dunlops are a bit softer. But they have great grip and the comfort and noise levels are great. And they are awesome in the rain. In fact, I'm keeping mine for wet track days.

daytripper
02-01-07, 06:41 PM
I've got a lot of experience with goodyear and will say that teir customer service is excellent! I am not sure why you metioned that you would not buy their tires again as they are giving you $400 per tire credit when they do not have to!? I don't get it...
My beef isn't really with customer service. Problem is that they have no options for me but RSAs, which they push hard. Otherwise, they advise I park my car for 4-5 months while until Goodyear gets around to producing either F1s or GS-D3s, neither of which is now available due to strike backorders.

I used my credit on GS-D3's and I think they are great but overpriced. My tires had an issue with balancing so they wanted to order me a whole new set and did just that...8 months ago! Yes, I know, that's a long time but I have put 12k miles on these and the new ones still aren't in so it is like free tires once again. The balancing issue is barely a problem and hardly noticable. I will tell you that the GS-D3's have a long tread life as mine still look brand new. I would say I would get 40k miles out of them.

Overpriced, perhaps, but they were C&D's top tire pick and compared to Goodyear runflat RSAs or F1s, they are practically free. I appreciate your feedback on them.

Anyway, what I would do if I were you is, get the least expensive tires (I am sure you only need backs badly) for the back and wait for your tire of choice from goodyear to come in and either burn them up like you did the others or sell them for half price.
...just buy them and offer your new tires to someone who wants F1's or GSD3's and sell them at a discount. If you search now you will find someone to pay you good money for tires of their choice from goodyear.
You'd be wrong about only my backs needing replacement. I rotated at 3k miles, and all four are bald as a baby's bottom at 7k (some with cords showing), so I can't stretch any of what I have. I don't want to be a tire reseller, as tires are tough to sell for any kind of good bucks once you take possession and shipping is expensive. Not worth it.
If I can get GS-D3s or even F1s, I'd take them. Goodyear customer service did a national dealer search for me and came up with zero sets of F1s and maybe 1 set of GS-D3s in the entire country. If they'd have offered me a straight up check for a decent amount, I'd take it, but they were going to short me bad on the credit for anything outside the Goodyear network.

At this point, the only real option I see it to take the best deal I can get on an acceptable tire with the credit, and get out. I don't feel like waiting around until Goodyear restarts productions of its performance tires again.

Brian R.

urbanski
02-01-07, 07:12 PM
rsa's are fine

ctsvflorida
02-01-07, 07:22 PM
I am surprised that you went through all 4! My backs (F1's) were wearing a bit fast but the fronts got 12k miles and still had 3k left easily! Lot of highway driving is the reason for that, I'm sure! Well, I wish you luck in your quest and keep us posted. Later
Brian...too!

P.S. One more thing, I have heard that RSA's are fine as long as you don't really street drag race at all as I heard they are harder and will spin a little more! I have heard that they are quiet, last long and handle well! Many people love them but they weren't good for me because of adding much more power in the coming months!

Koooop
02-01-07, 07:38 PM
The only noticeable difference is turn in. The Dunlops are a bit softer. But they have great grip and the comfort and noise levels are great. And they are awesome in the rain. In fact, I'm keeping mine for wet track days.

I've had trouble with the balance on the sport maxx.

My F1's lasted 7,800 miles.

bcholka
02-01-07, 09:15 PM
Just bought some GSD3's--hope I won't be starting a thread like this in the future!!

ctsvflorida
02-02-07, 08:53 AM
Just bought some GSD3's--hope I won't be starting a thread like this in the future!!

How'd you get them and where? Mine have been on national backorder since June! Pretty funny right...JUNE!

odla
02-02-07, 10:18 AM
i had problems to and i had them ballanced on a road force machine that was new. but got new set from tire rack with no problems. had them for a bout 5000 miles and love them in all weather. i drive fast and hard with 1.12 on g meter on these tires. I think for the money you cant beat these tires.

Krug Ford
02-02-07, 10:22 AM
Good Year make a dam good tire..

thebigjimsho
02-02-07, 10:43 AM
I've had trouble with the balance on the sport maxx.

My F1's lasted 7,800 miles.I drove my Sport Maxx tires for over 17,000 miles with no balance problems. AND they still have at least 65% tread left on them.

thebigjimsho
02-02-07, 10:46 AM
Overpriced, perhaps, but they were C&D's top tire pick and compared to Goodyear runflat RSAs or F1s, they are practically free. I appreciate your feedback on them.

Just a friendly reminder. Many here have had GS-D3s and love them. They are a great tire. Just remember that this is a heavy car on relatively narrow tires. The difference between an RFT and a non-RFT tire means a lot. Hey, there are RFT-GS-D3s out there. Just not in our size.

daytripper
02-02-07, 11:55 AM
Good Year make a dam good tire..

I'm not sure who your comment goes out to, but I (thread originator) didn't say Goodyear makes bad tires. What I did say is they don't have anything for the V right now except RSA runflats because of productions shutdowns due to the strike, or perhaps other things.

Some folks defend the RSAs, but I've heard they can be "squishy", with more rollover on turns, and that absolute grip is sacrifieced for longer wear. In essence, an all season performance tire made to take the place of the low wear, poor rain performing F1 runflat. The RSA is stock on a number of cars, including the Mustang GT and a few Mercedes.

I'd personally prefer a max performance summer tire with decent rain performance, like a PS2 or a GS-D3. Also, stiff runflat sidewalls like the F1 (and perhaps the RSA) have certain negative trade-offs as well.

I don't mind folks telling me the RSAs are fine, but knock off the Goodyear rah-rah stuff, or the defense of Goodyear's honor. Noone is sullying Goodyear here.

Brian R.

odla
02-02-07, 05:11 PM
hey with my sport max i did a 13.2 in the 1/4 and it was only my 3rd try with those tires.

ctsvflorida
02-02-07, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure who your comment goes out to, but I (thread originator) didn't say Goodyear makes bad tires. What I did say is they don't have anything for the V right now except RSA runflats because of productions shutdowns due to the strike, or perhaps other things.

Some folks defend the RSAs, but I've heard they can be "squishy", with more rollover on turns, and that absolute grip is sacrifieced for longer wear. In essence, an all season performance tire made to take the place of the low wear, poor rain performing F1 runflat. The RSA is stock on a number of cars, including the Mustang GT and a few Mercedes.

I'd personally prefer a max performance summer tire with decent rain performance, like a PS2 or a GS-D3. Also, stiff runflat sidewalls like the F1 (and perhaps the RSA) have certain negative trade-offs as well.

I don't mind folks telling me the RSAs are fine, but knock off the Goodyear rah-rah stuff, or the defense of Goodyear's honor. Noone is sullying Goodyear here.

Brian R.

I don't know how to do the separate quote's so I'll do it like this!

You wrote in the first post that you 'can't believe that Goodyear is still in business' yet you keep sort of claiming that you're 'not' knocking Goodyear or sullying, as you put it...but...you can't believe they're still in business! I think they're the biggest tire company, so what would that mean? If I say that I can't believe a company is still in biz...THEN I HATE THEM!

With that cleared up: Then you wrote way back in the thread, your initial post again quote: The 'to die for GSD3's' and when the reply came back and they said 'I don't think they are to die for' and your reply was 'I am not 'dying' to get them'

I guess I am confused with your answers and replies at this point, but not as confused as you, so do what we all do...go and get whatever tire you want. Everyone has there opinion, just like you, so go get whatever you THINK is best!

P.S. By the way 'Noone' is something that occurs everyday right after 11:59 am...only without the 'E' at the end! No one means 'not one'!

P.S.S. I think you should cough up $5 for the month to become a SUPPORTING member as well for all this infomation! STOP BEING A CHEAP F#*K!

p.s.s.s. Can we close this thread now??????????

Koooop
02-02-07, 06:42 PM
Roflmao

(do you think I could get one of those pole to install in my backseat?)

daytripper
02-02-07, 07:15 PM
I don't know how to do the separate quote's so I'll do it like this!

You wrote in the first post that you 'can't believe that Goodyear is still in business' yet you keep sort of claiming that you're 'not' knocking Goodyear or sullying, as you put it...but...you can't believe they're still in business! I think they're the biggest tire company, so what would that mean? If I say that I can't believe a company is still in biz...THEN I HATE THEM!

With that cleared up: Then you wrote way back in the thread, your initial post again quote: The 'to die for GSD3's' and when the reply came back and they said 'I don't think they are to die for' and your reply was 'I am not 'dying' to get them'

I guess I am confused with your answers and replies at this point, but not as confused as you, so do what we all do...go and get whatever tire you want. Everyone has there opinion, just like you, so go get whatever you THINK is best!

P.S. By the way 'Noone' is something that occurs everyday right after 11:59 am...only without the 'E' at the end! No one means 'not one'!

P.S.S. I think you should cough up $5 for the month to become a SUPPORTING member as well for all this infomation! STOP BEING A CHEAP F#*K!

p.s.s.s. Can we close this thread now??????????

Look I don't why you're reading into my thread. My wondering about them still being in business is they had an extended strike, and they don't have any tires to fit our cars (in light of the largeish credit they are offering us). Their top-rated (by C&D) GS-D3 has been on back order since last June, according to one person who responded in this thread, and is months away from being available. Whatever you say man. I'm trying hard to find some Goodyear tires for my car (aside from the RSAs, which are available).

What I was really looking for in the thread was advice on what guys are doing in terms of the credit if there are no tires available in our size. Really, I'd just like to get the car back on the road. A little tire advice from those who have tried them could also be helpful.

Sorry if I offended the defenders of Goodyear. Some of you guys act like you're a teenager defending your mother's honor.

Brian R.

ctsvflorida
02-02-07, 08:04 PM
I am not by all means defending Goodyear! I was only pointing out your contradicting statements! I only have Goodyear because they were free and the next set is free for me too. I would say that the GSD3's are great for me but I am sure other tire company's have equal tires or even better...but not for free! :bouncy:

Nuff said!

Koooop
02-02-07, 10:41 PM
I am not by all means defending Goodyear! I was only pointing out your contradicting statements! I only have Goodyear because they were free and the next set is free for me too. I would say that the GSD3's are great for me but I am sure other tire company's have equal tires or even better...but not for free! :bouncy:

Nuff said!

What about my Eldo pole?

ctsvflorida
02-03-07, 05:58 AM
What about my Eldo pole?

I have searched and searched to try and figure out what you mean KOOOOOP but to no avail! Help me out here? What do you mean with the pole thing? I am sure it is something funny!

P.S. What is rof?

zozmanCTS-V
02-03-07, 07:26 AM
Advice: Buy whatever tire suits you but don't tell anyone here about it.

CTSV04
02-03-07, 09:57 AM
Black Sunshine,
Got your PM but couldn't reply for some reason. I found the 1-800 number for Goodyear by searching the threads. Unfortunately I didn't keep the number. Also, while at the Goodyear store they provided another number which transferred me to the right department for tire credits. Hope this helps.....