: 98 Catera Upgrading all audio. Need help

kbreudi
01-31-07, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone, i just got my new car 1998 catera. Im upgrading the the BOSE system and replacing it with 4 Kicker 3 way 5 1/2 a kicker 12" L7 and a JVC HU. I got all the stuff ready to go in i just need to know how to remove the old speakers and amp. I already got the stock BOSE HU out and ready to get the new one in. I need to know how to remove the 4 door speakers and the rears. Also what about the amp, can i still use it with 4 Ohm kickers? If so can i use all the existing wires? I was thinking that the BOSE HU does not put out power, but level outputs to the amp in the trunk, then that amplifies them to the 6 speakers? Does anyone know how the audio is wire in a 98 Catera? Thanks!

CadillacSTS42005
01-31-07, 11:04 PM
dude you need to rewire the whole care

kbreudi
02-01-07, 11:55 AM
dude you need to rewire the whole care

NOOO...come on theres got to be a way to use the existing wires. What about cutting them right befor they go to the amp, then connecting them to the amp out put sobasicaly bi bassing the amp, so the audi goes from the HU to the speakers

the727kid
02-01-07, 11:16 PM
You buy an L7 and want to use original wires? It takes an hour to run wires across the car, maybe 90 minutes with a 4 door. Also those speakers won't keep up with that sub if its ported. Maybe if they are amplified they will a little but not much.

kbreudi
02-02-07, 01:16 PM
You buy an L7 and want to use original wires? It takes an hour to run wires across the car, maybe 90 minutes with a 4 door. Also those speakers won't keep up with that sub if its ported. Maybe if they are amplified they will a little but not much.

No the L7 is connected with an amp that i will use the proper wires for. The other kickers will be powerd by a 400 Watt 4 channel amp.

CadillacSTS42005
02-03-07, 01:32 AM
lol
your gonna use an external amp to power the speaks
and your gonna use factory wiring
dude
REWIRE YOUR CAR
asked for my advice and thats it
i wont advise on how to do something which would be stupid...

kbreudi
02-03-07, 10:47 AM
lol
your gonna use an external amp to power the speaks
and your gonna use factory wiring
dude
REWIRE YOUR CAR
asked for my advice and thats it
i wont advise on how to do something which would be stupid...

Ok, now how exactly do i get wires from the rear tunk to the font and rear doors?

the727kid
02-03-07, 12:34 PM
Run them through the back seat along the sides at the bottom, and under the lil plastic door sill pieces at the bottom, run the wire into the doors. Easy.

whitediamondsts99
02-07-07, 08:49 PM
all i have to say is your brave...you do indeed have to do alot of re-wiring because of the factory amp...good luck, maybe not worth the time nor money..you may need to save the money for maintence on your catera instead...

the727kid
02-08-07, 12:14 AM
^^^I don't know if that was serious or an insult cuz he owns a Catera. But you better be saving for maintence on the Seville. Rack and Pinion, all types of sensors, Ball Joints, all the goodies go wrong on them :).

Though it is not hard at all to run speaker wires.

whitediamondsts99
02-09-07, 10:24 AM
Its my 2nd lac, I already know...thank god my dad works at a cadillac dealership huh?

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-07, 11:10 AM
rofl
my dads got pockets and i still end up doing all the maintence and repairs on his 98 STS
trust me when i say and you can do a search on the seville area to see what i mean
pray to god your heater core never goes...

whitediamondsts99
02-10-07, 07:03 PM
your dad has pockets? okay thats pretty cool...