: 95 FWB Exhaust Update

The_Hearsecutor
01-31-07, 01:11 PM
Upgraded my exhaust to the Dynomax Impala SS catback system. Aluminized pipes, stainless mufflers, and H-pipe. Tucked nice and close to the undercarriage, so no clearance issues with the lowered suspension.

Check the custom stainless exhaust tips; the tech spent over an hour aligning these perfectly symmetical, and matched them to the profile of the rear bumper.

I'm very satisfied with the sound- the rumble is incredible at start up and around town, with a nice quietening off at highway speeds.

caddycruiser
01-31-07, 01:53 PM
One of my goals for this year is intake and exhaust changes, especially the latter as the car just sounds way too plugged up and dust buster like in stock form.

I'm planning on exactly the same thing, an Impala catback and H or X-pipe up front, but haven't decided on which one yet. Don't want loud or any raspy, but still do want an idle rumble and throaty growl under power. Never really considered the Dynomax, based on some SS group sound comments, but your description peaks my interest in it.

Did you get those tips locally or ordered? I really, really like them...so much more unique than the typical round chrome pipe.

Old Fleetwood
01-31-07, 01:55 PM
With that smooth decklid, those squared-off tips are beyond sexy.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BCs71
01-31-07, 02:04 PM
Need a soundclip!

caddycruiser
01-31-07, 02:19 PM
Need a soundclip!

Yes, forgot to say that!

N0DIH
02-01-07, 09:04 PM
Soundclip!!

96Fleetwood
02-03-07, 10:39 AM
Congrats!

The Borla & CIA headers were one of the best mods I made to my Fleetwood!

90Brougham350
02-03-07, 01:14 PM
That looks simply phenominal!

Benzilla
02-03-07, 03:00 PM
I love that Fleetwood, my personal favorite custom Fleetwood ever. What does that do for performance? or is it mostly sound and looks?

caddycruiser
02-03-07, 04:10 PM
I love that Fleetwood, my personal favorite custom Fleetwood ever. What does that do for performance? or is it mostly sound and looks?

The OEM pipes are fairly narrow, and do to some routing issues, are squashed in some areas. Combine that with mufflers that are very stuffy, and you get a rather clogged up--quiet, yes--but clogged up exhaust.

So, from what everyone has seen, mufflers alone help out the flow and make a difference, and mufflers combined with somewhat wider pipes really make a difference--it can flow harder out the back, and generally (at least with the LT1 just as one example) feels punchier and stronger all around.

And, most of the time sound is also changed, but if you're big on quiet still, you can still get a high flow muffler that's virtually stock quiet--N0DIH has been looking into that a lot, for his future exhaust changes.

Benzilla
02-03-07, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot! I can't wait to get duals on my '79.

caddycruiser
02-03-07, 08:25 PM
Here's a clip I remembered I had bookmarked, from an SS forum guy, of his Caprice with the Dynomax system (and also an intake which also adds a bit of roar). Lots of wind ruffling, but you get a decent idea:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=970672818&n=2

Lord Cadillac
02-03-07, 08:46 PM
Wow! Very nice work! More pictures, please! :)

GenoTheLowrider
02-06-07, 11:47 AM
For those who dont want the exhaust too loud, but a good tone, the Borla's is definitly the way to go! I have a couple of them on my 89 FWB, sounds GREAT!
--Geno TL

N0DIH
02-06-07, 01:08 PM
Borla's are just too $$, nearly $1K for the Impala.

I am getting to a point where I need mufflers bad. So mine might be getting replaced soon. Maybe time to go with the DynoMax or something like that. I don't want it to loud, but that Dynomax seemed good.

My plans are the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43091

GenoTheLowrider
02-06-07, 01:46 PM
I paid a lil over $400 for my Borla setup...
--Geno TL

96Fleetwood
02-06-07, 02:17 PM
Borla's are just too $$, nearly $1K for the Impala.

FYI, if you are in a area that has heavy salt in the winter.. the Dynomax will last about 6 years (that is how long my friend's did).

The Borla has a lifetime warranty.. so if you put two Dynomax systems in 6 years, then the Borla is worth that initial cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borla-Exhaust-System-Chevy-Impala-SS-5-7L-V8-1994-1996_W0QQitemZ110086960670QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33630 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Just my .02$

N0DIH
02-06-07, 03:02 PM
Salt in Chicagoland, naw.... Hmm.... Might have to ponder that....

So, in 6 years at the rate of miles I am putting on, that would bring me (starting today) from 213K to 423K, if not more if we end up moving soon to where we are thinking... Will the car survive it?? Probably!

My factory mufflers are coming apart now. The front clamps from the intermediate pipes to the cat converters are already rusted through, had to come up with a fix for that. The other pipes are ok, but the mufflers have to go. I was initially just wanted to keep the stock tail pipes and go with the DynoMax mufflers and a custom mandrel bent X-Pipe up front.

96Fleetwood
02-06-07, 03:24 PM
NODIH,
I tried to PM you, but your box is full. Just wondering how far you are from Chicago... we should meet up now that I live here :thumbsup:

Old Fleetwood
02-06-07, 05:24 PM
Elias -
When I lived in the area, I just about "commuted" from Milwaukee where I worked,to Indianapolis where my folks lived at the time. Chicago was about 70 miles from Milwaukee and all freeway. Easy driving.
Even the county roads are good in Wisconsin. Well, at least they were when I was there. They just had funny "letter" designations rather than numbers.

N0DIH
02-06-07, 05:32 PM
I'll clear it out (lost my 50 PM's with my supporting member ran out).

I live in Darien, WI, 60 miles or so west of Milwaukee, and work near Six Flags. I take US45 to WI 50 often. Sometimes I will take back roads (Peterson to 60 to 120 to US12 and US12 up to 43 or US 12 to Genoa City and then take farm backroads from there) home.

Roads are generally in good shape. WI much better than IL. And WI are wider, 4 lanes where IL will have only 2. So driving WI is much more desireable.

Yeah, if I can ever hook up with BCs71, he works only 5-10 miles from where I work. Still haven't managed to hook up!

By all means, let me know when you might be around.

There is a twin to BCs71's FW in town where I live, a 1200 person town, (finally got to see the color good today) that is garaged 99% of the time about 3 houses down. I thought it was my color, but mine is the tan, BCs71's is the more grey color.

And a near twin to mine frequents the local strip club (its not me! If I can't take my wife and kids there, I don't go). I think it is a 93 though. But looks darn close to mine.

The_Hearsecutor
02-06-07, 06:23 PM
The only salt we have down here is on the table at Cracker Barrell. So this set-up should last through my ownership and a good 7 years or so for the next guy. I have Borla on my Sierra, and have used it previously on a Lexus Coupe- primarily because I wanted "the name". However, for the money, Dynomax has the best sound and the savings between the two was applied for more goodies to inch my FWB closer and closer to ~PERFECTION~.

caddycruiser
02-06-07, 06:53 PM
The only salt we have down here is on the table at Cracker Barrell. So this set-up should last through my ownership and a good 7 years or so for the next guy. I have Borla on my Sierra, and have used it previously on a Lexus Coupe- primarily because I wanted "the name". However, for the money, Dynomax has the best sound and the savings between the two was applied for more goodies to inch my FWB closer and closer to ~PERFECTION~.

Well, it certainly has the looks too--were those tips a local item or something you ordered?

96Fleetwood
02-06-07, 07:29 PM

I spent weeks listening to the different systems with the Impala SS guys and found most sytems minus the Borla too close to a "truck gurgle." That is what I wanted to stay away from. The Borla kept a nice and classy sound for a classy car without being too loud or have any drone at speed. :thumbsup:

The_Hearsecutor
02-06-07, 08:55 PM
Well, I got better things to do than to get into a pissing match. Whatever suits one person isn't going to always suit another. I could have thrown $2k into an exhaust system if I wanted to, b/c I CAN afford it. Heck- I just spent more than the Borla's cost just having the woodgrain refinished (pics soon)! I went with Dynomax b/c it didn't make economic sense to spend more. There's another TRIPLE BLACK FWB on the boards with the same set up, and his impressions are the same as mine. Corrosion is not an issue where I'm at- so why bother with all stainless? (As a reminder, the mufflers are) The FWB actually sounds better than my Borla equipped truck-so maybe it's time to dump that system for something else. And for the record, the guy who bought my Lexus Coupe ditched the Borlas a week after he bought it. Go figure.

BTW-CaddyCruiser~ Those tips were from eBay. A smaller, stainless version of Z28 tips (these are 6x2); compliments the rear quite nicely, as it repeats the shape of the backup and reflector lens. I started out with round rolled-tips, but that didn't last long at all. I'm much more satisfied with these...

96Fleetwood
02-06-07, 09:28 PM
Wow, someone is on a ego trip.. this is not a pissing match and for one to think it was.... anyways, this is only an informative post for FWB owners to look at when making a decision on aftermarket exhaust setups. Glad you like your exhaust setup :) because I love mine. If you ditch the Borla on your truck, let me know; my cousin could use it on his Silverado

caddycruiser
02-06-07, 09:55 PM
BTW-CaddyCruiser~ Those tips were from eBay. A smaller, stainless version of Z28 tips (these are 6x2); compliments the rear quite nicely, as it repeats the shape of the backup and reflector lens. I started out with round rolled-tips, but that didn't last long at all. I'm much more satisfied with these...

Thanks, and by the way again, your review really has moved the Dynomax to a lead on my list of possible future upgrades--other options just being a custom system. Borla quality, for example, is great and I think it fits the image of cars like Elias' to a T, but I still could never see spending that much on an exhaust, at least not for my 12 year old 123k miler...regardless of how nice it is.

Can't wait to see the refinished woodgrain:thumbsup:

Oh, and you wouldn't happen to remember a link to the specific place you found those tips or just what you had searched for to find them, would you?

Some of these look similar, but likely different sizes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330085906766&fromMakeTrack=true
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Steel-Camaro-Tips-Pair_W0QQitemZ250081815856QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33633 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This looks like the right size...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330085589365&fromMakeTrack=true

N0DIH
02-06-07, 09:56 PM
I have seen the stainless exhausts last for a LONG LONG time, where non stainless (aluminized steel) often only lasts a few years.

caddycruiser
02-06-07, 10:06 PM
I have seen the stainless exhausts last for a LONG LONG time, where non stainless (aluminized steel) often only lasts a few years.

Agreed, and my father who grew up in a "salty" place says the same "rarely do you ever see an OEM exhaust that goes bad, at least not for a very long time".

That said, I don't encounter the elements much, if at all, anymore, so I would still at least consider other choices...but not certain either way.

GenoTheLowrider
02-06-07, 10:30 PM
Guess it just depends on the sound ya like, but for those who are looking for that good luxury rumble and tone, Borla's will do it. With their straight thru design they give an increase in gas mileage as well as horsepower. You can always tell a set of Borlas!!
--Geno TL

N0DIH
02-06-07, 10:46 PM
When I heard the Borla's they seemed rather loud. The DynoMax Hemi Super Turbo's seemed rather quiet.

For me, it is still a Cadillac, so I want it quiet but healthy.

GenoTheLowrider
02-06-07, 10:54 PM
When I heard the Borla's they seemed rather loud. The DynoMax Hemi Super Turbo's seemed rather quiet.

For me, it is still a Cadillac, so I want it quiet but healthy.

What kind of car did u hear the Borla's on?
--Geno TL

N0DIH
02-07-07, 08:51 AM
It was on their website some time ago, not sure what car. I think BCs71 has some links for exhaust notes on his website. I think I heard a B/D car there too.

I honestly have not heard any in person. That much I would like to.

bigbluebrougham
02-07-07, 11:04 AM
Anyone heard the Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers? They are similair in design to the Borla's, stainless and a straight through design. I wonder if those would be the ticket, price and sound. One question, isn't the factory system stainless?

http://www.raiden1.com/exhaust1.htm

This, IMHO, sounds REALLY, REALLY, good. Dynomax Ultra Flows with headers on an Impala SS.

caddycruiser
02-07-07, 02:22 PM
Anyone heard the Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers? They are similair in design to the Borla's, stainless and a straight through design. I wonder if those would be the ticket, price and sound. One question, isn't the factory system stainless?

http://www.raiden1.com/exhaust1.htm

This, IMHO, sounds REALLY, REALLY, good. Dynomax Ultra Flows with headers on an Impala SS.

That's what's used on the Dynomax cat back kit Hearsecutor used here, and also in the video clip I posted earlier of the Caprice. I really like the sound too. A little growly, but not unattractively raspy or redneck loud, and not vacuum cleaner plugged up like stock either.

LOTS of different choices, though, and each one has their own small or big differences in sound.

N0DIH
02-07-07, 02:32 PM
Not bad, louder than I would like (well, I DO want it like that, but it IS a Cadillac...)... We shall see. Maybe I should make it that way....

Headers are a thought, I have to do manifolds soon anyway, so if I can scroung up the $$, go with headers to tailpipes.... It would be nice. If it helps mpg, then it is all worth it....

bigbluebrougham
02-07-07, 02:46 PM
That's what's used on the Dynomax cat back kit Hearsecutor used here, and also in the video clip I posted earlier of the Caprice. I really like the sound too. A little growly, but not unattractively raspy or redneck loud, and not vacuum cleaner plugged up like stock either.

LOTS of different choices, though, and each one has their own small or big differences in sound.

Really? I thought those kits used the super turbo mufflers...of course, that was a long time ago I bought my kit for my old pickup. Sorry didn't see the clip you posted. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted the one I got!

BBB

caddycruiser
02-07-07, 07:28 PM
Well, I'm at least fairly sure that they use the Ultra Flow's with the kit, or at least that's what was said on the Impala SS forum the last time I checked in.

bigbluebrougham
02-07-07, 07:38 PM
I checked into converters too and there is a website out there with high flow stainless ones for cheap, ceramic or metallic.

http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17

The bottom two.

Of course, you will have to know a good welder to weld them in place, unless you can weld yourself. I can, but don;t have a welder and am going to bring them to the local exhaust shop, after I scrounge up the $$ of course. These along with a set of CIA budget headers and JEGS exhaust for the Impala SS (with 6" added on of course), grand total of about $1100 including labor and tips. Not bad, but a lot of dough for me to scrounge up...hopefully I can get the money before the midwest meet in May!

GenoTheLowrider
02-08-07, 01:30 AM
It was on their website some time ago, not sure what car. I think BCs71 has some links for exhaust notes on his website. I think I heard a B/D car there too.

I honestly have not heard any in person. That much I would like to.

Guess it really kinda depends on what you are used to hearing. My ear is used to all these loud trucks down here in Alabama will make your car rumble as they roll past!!
--Geno TL

BCs71
02-08-07, 02:28 PM
Borla catback for the Impala SS (fits Fleetwood) is different than just the mufflers. It includes 2.25" stainless pipes throughout and fairly tame sounding mufflers. IMO it is a good choice for the FW since it is a luxury sedan. The price tag at $1000 is steep though.
Hotrod guys usually complain that this system is too quiet for their likes.

The mufflers from Borla are in several shapes, designs, etc. and some may be loud and others may be quiet. They aren't a "package" design like the entire catback system.

The Dynomax catback (and Jegs, Hooker, Spintech) is 2.5" aluminized IIRC. Pipes are bigger diameter, which often yields slightly louder tones. Each one sounds different and it really comes down to preference. Price is $400-$500 typically.

Again, each of these companies sell different mufflers and don't necessarily sound the same on a stock system vs the entire catback.

Flowmaster sells two versions of a 2.25" catback system, one with resonators and one without. With resonators is quieter. Without resonators has long straight design chrome round tips and is a bit louder. Looks cool and sounds good (IMO) for being Flowmaster (not my fav).

All about preference! Catback is much different than just mufflers. The stock exhaust system is restrictive and small in diameter, so to gain max power it is recommended to get the entire catback and open her up! I am of the theory that bigger isn't always better, and the 2.25" systems are plenty for stock and mildy modified mods to an LT1. Once you reach serious HP, the 2.5" systems will be of benefit (but this would be for forced induction, serious head/cam combos, big cube motors, etc.).

Just one man's opinion!

GenoTheLowrider
02-12-07, 12:23 AM
Yeah I dont have th Borla Catback system on my Bro, just a custom system using Generic Borla mufflers...thats why it wasnt $1000!

N0DIH
02-12-07, 12:37 AM
I will have to look at things and see what is the best way to go.

I was thinking of getting some sections of stainless and some stainless bends and find a good shop to custom build me a killer exhaust.

GenoTheLowrider
02-12-07, 12:41 AM
I think that sounds the best way to go in my opinion...

N0DIH
02-15-07, 11:49 AM
And the parts that aren't stainless, paint with a good high temp paint before. I did that on my Cutlass with the GN Regal Cat Back from Hooker and after 5 years it was in great shape still. Despite Wisconsin winters.

I sold the car, but the owner lived across the street, so I kept tabs on it.