: Wind noise & squeaking steering wheel

big-tex
01-31-07, 09:30 AM
I've been meaning to write this on the board and take it in, so here goes...

Is it just my 2006 V6 STS or are others also hearing excessive wind noise coming from the driver and passenger side front doors when driving at highway speeds and/or if there is any amount of wind outside? It always sounds like you don't have the window completely closed and it's annoying as heck. If I push my fingers into the black foam from the inside, the noise gets considerably worse. I don't ever remember anything like this at all on my 2003 CTS.

The other problem that seems to have shown up is that when I crank my steering wheel to the right at slow parking lot speeds -- I hear some squeaking or rubbing noises. This can't be normal. Anyone else have something like this?

I've got about 69% in my oil life monitor and was thinking to bring all these up when I went to the service department -- but now I'm wondering if I should just book an appointment and go in now. Advice/Thoughts?

netrave
02-01-07, 07:08 PM
mine is doing the same thing with the steering wheel, THIS CAR IS THE BIGGEST PEICE OF SH*T i have EVER SEEN... i regret buying it EVERY DAY...

macklobell
02-02-07, 06:00 AM
Has anyone taking their car in for service regarding the steering wheel problem? My car does the same thing....Sad....:banghead:

Heavy_Metal
02-02-07, 08:33 AM
I have a 2005 STS4 1SG with 32,000 miles.

I have been waiting for the steering column to arrive for one month now. Mine made a clunk when the steering wheel is retracted to the exit position. I also reported a squeal when the wheel was turned slowly at low speeds (for example in the parking lot). The "steering column" is to fix the clunk and the squeal noise was listed as "unable to duplicate". I will see if the squeal noise goes away after they fix the other problem. Oh, I am also waiting for the air vent damper to fix the farting... the first time I took it in for farting I got the usual "can not duplicate."

I am OK with all of this as long as they fix it. I am only disappointed about the things they will not fix like (bluetooth and voice recognition) and the way they blow me off about it. I have been through 2 years of being called stupid, having the navigation system reprogrammed to fix the bluetooth that didn’t work, telling me a navigation system reprogram will be available in two months (October 2005) and it never came, and now after all of that finally “no solution available.” One last rant, I hate the lock-out of some controls above 5mph.

:bighead:

Having said all of that, I still love this care. It is the best looking car on the road for my taste. It also runs soooo smooth with plenty of power. HUD and active cruse control are amazing. I think Cadillac has a real winner here if they would just listen to the customers and get a crash team to come up with fixes these minor problems. For example, the transmission reprogram made a huge improvement, but it took them a year of denial to finally fix it. Also, I think the decision to lock out controls is a mistake… I am more likely to wreck the care because it executes a voice command incorrectly than because I am pushing buttons on the dash. Either fix the voice recognition or unlock the controls!!!

I am impressed with the engineering, but fire the CEO for allowing this disgraceful customer service!!!

:gah:

macklobell
02-02-07, 09:11 AM
Heavy Metal---What do you mean by Exit Position?.....Mine makes a noise when turning to the extreme left or right when in a parking position....Thanks.

Heavy_Metal
02-02-07, 10:03 AM
Macklobell:

When you turn the car off the seat and steering wheel retract to the exit position. As the steering wheel moves up from the driving position to the exit position, it makes a clunk sound. It's not a very loud sound but you would notice that it was different and may not be a good thing. My part is still not in. When this gets fixed, I will try to see the technician for an explanation.

macklobell
02-02-07, 10:14 PM
Is anyone else experiencing a large cranking noise when in the park position when turning your wheel to the extreme right or left? Is this also considered the steering column? I am surprised there is no recall on this...

Jesda
02-03-07, 06:50 AM
mine is doing the same thing with the steering wheel, THIS CAR IS THE BIGGEST PEICE OF SH*T i have EVER SEEN... i regret buying it EVERY DAY...

How does your dealer handle the problems?

Onalaska
02-03-07, 07:40 AM

Is it just my 2006 V6 STS or are others also hearing excessive wind noise coming from the driver and passenger side front doors when driving at highway speeds and/or if there is any amount of wind outside? It always sounds like you don't have the window completely closed and it's annoying as heck. If I push my fingers into the black foam from the inside, the noise gets considerably worse. I don't ever remember anything like this at all on my 2003 CTS.

The other problem that seems to have shown up is that when I crank my steering wheel to the right at slow parking lot speeds -- I hear some squeaking or rubbing noises. This can't be normal. Anyone else have something like this?

I've got about 69% in my oil life monitor and was thinking to bring all these up when I went to the service department -- but now I'm wondering if I should just book an appointment and go in now. Advice/Thoughts?

Do you have a sunroof? I had wind noise coming from the sunroof, but I thought it was coming from the drivers door. The gasket around the sun roof glass was deformed and not sealing well. Air leaking in around this gasket made it sound like the wind noise was coming from the driver's door. The dealer had to replace the sunroof glass because the gasket is made on to the glass at the factory. That fixed the wind noise at speeds below about 120 Mph.

big-tex
02-06-07, 08:42 AM
Hi guys,

I still haven't had the time to schedule an appointment and take it in. I don't think its the sunroof (yes I do have one) since it seems far too clear sounding from the drivers or passenger front doors. If I open the sunroof shield, it has no impact on the loudness/quietness when the wind is wailing away.

The squealing/squeaking seems to be getting worse by the day now almost whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right. I'll have to see if it makes the same clunk noise when it goes to exit position on mine. I have it set to fully retract and move up to the top position on exit.

A new problem that I've noticed during the last two days is when I tap the break, I hear a taptap/clickclick noise from the shifter. This happens most often when the car is in parked position and even backing up.

I am really starting to wonder about this car...

william1034
02-09-07, 11:20 PM
Good luck. The squeaking from the steering wheel lead to GM replacing my 05 STS. During the 1st year of ownership it spent 120 days in the shop.

They started by replacing the steering column, which didn't help. Then they kept the car for 3 months, basically threw parts at the car to no avail. Finally they got a builletin for "Moan type noise during low speed turning maneuvers. (Replace Accessory Drive Belt) #05-02-32-006)" Something in the drive belt was causing the vibration to be transmitted up the steering column. They fixed this issue and replaced the steering gear. The noise wasn't as bad afterward, but it wasn't fixed either.

My STS also suffered from grinding brakes, which eventually lead to the front right & left brake pads splitting up the middle. I had unwanted stabilitrack activations, and I gave up trying to the the wind noise fixed.

My car was a lemon, but the service dept at my dealer was not. They did everything they could to help. I think they would have replaced the car sooner if they could have. The GM regional rep would not repurchase cars, and GM didn't have any interest either. I eventually started proceedings with the BBB (Something I should have done much sooner). GM will push you for as long as they can, it wasn't until we set an arbitration date that GM relented and offered me a very favorable replacement.

Don't be to hard on your local service dept, they do the best they can. The dealer does not control the buyback process, that is up to GM. Use the BBB, GM hates it.

STS2002
02-14-07, 02:14 PM
I think this car looks great!! And really that's all I think GM has going for it. I have had the rear end replaced on both my 2005 and 2006 STS. The Steering wheel "groans" when moving up upon exit. The tires are constantly developing flatspots, which makes for a bumpy ride until the tires warm up and smoothes out. The two front control arms have been replaced because the old ones made loud clunking noises while going over bumps. The transmission continuously hardshifts, both on the upshift and downshift. I have owned cars that are half as much and less and I never had problems like this car. What are we to expect from a $64,000 car?!?!? I know that the car can't be perfect, but dammit, you think GM would put more effort into making sure they are making a quality product for the cost!! It's rediculous to have problems like this. I hope that these types of problems go away as the years go on, for GM's sake. This is all certainly my opinion, i welcome feedback if you don't agree.

mike sts
04-06-07, 07:57 PM

I too am experiencing the wind noise through the driver door, my 1994 sts seemed more quiet. I tried to use formular 2000 around the rubber gasket at the door and sunroof to see if that would re juvinate the rubber to provide a better seal, it didnt work.....Anyone find a fix?????

coati
04-07-07, 11:42 PM
I'd be interested in any solutions regarding wind noise too.
Though nothing major, I notice a slight wind noise at highway speed in my '06 STS also.
I think its coming from the door seals.
I've tried using "Gummi Pflege" rubber care stick on all the seals.
While it conditioned & quieted the seals, I still hear a slight wind noise.
Perhaps the doors need adjusting to seal tighter?

It's a little annoying & would definitely prefer complete silence.
I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

big-tex
04-11-07, 04:03 PM
Well, I finally got around to taking the STS in. Here's what I brought in for, and what they did:

1. Wind noise from the front driver/passenger windows. They test drove the car, adjusted the doors and relubricated the seals. That seemed to do the trick -- I haven't heard anything at any speed now.
2. Clicking noise from the shifter when the car is in park and tapping the brake. Turns out they were able to replicate the problem with the transmission and such. Known problem, and a part is coming in. (If you're interested, I'll type out what was on the service form exactly).
3. Grinding noise from the steering column when it retracts. Apparently some dust/sand was found in it, they cleared it out, and relubricated -- all is good now.
4. Driver's side mirror, when it moves back to normal position after flipping down for parallel parking stutters and jerks -- they disassembled it, reassembled after lubricating and it works fine now.
5. Turning left or right at slow speeds causes rubbing/squealing noises from the steering wheel. Disassembled the column when they did #3 and relubricated. -- no more noise at all.
6. (Yes I had a lot of stuff!) Driver #2 personalization wouldn't save/put the steering column/wheel into place when the driver started the car in her setting. Master reset cleared it up.

Didn't do an oil change since I was still around 48% roughly 7100km. Excellent service anyhow one way or another.

Cheers.

Curious George
04-18-07, 04:25 PM
I, too, hear excessive wind noises at highway speed when there are gusty cross winds, and they sound as though they come from the doors around the side windows. I also find water seepage between the outer and middle door seals after washing my car. I'll ask my dealer to do for me what big-tex's dealer did: adjust the doors.

For whatever it's worth, there are several other threads about wind noise in STSs. Here are links to three of them:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/103789-drivers-side-wind-noise.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/97525-high-speed-wind-noises.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/89717-wind-noise.html

TexasViking
05-08-07, 03:36 PM
I had excessive noise from the driver side door and found that the seal was not properly mounted to the door. So regardless how well it sealed to the door frame the wind noise would not go away. I pointed this out to my service shop and they appear to have fixed it as I have not experienced the noise since then.

dkozloski
05-08-07, 03:57 PM
Hi guys,

I still haven't had the time to schedule an appointment and take it in. I don't think its the sunroof (yes I do have one) since it seems far too clear sounding from the drivers or passenger front doors. If I open the sunroof shield, it has no impact on the loudness/quietness when the wind is wailing away.

The squealing/squeaking seems to be getting worse by the day now almost whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right. I'll have to see if it makes the same clunk noise when it goes to exit position on mine. I have it set to fully retract and move up to the top position on exit.

A new problem that I've noticed during the last two days is when I tap the break, I hear a taptap/clickclick noise from the shifter. This happens most often when the car is in parked position and even backing up.

I am really starting to wonder about this car...
When you tap the brakes in park position you're hearing the solenoid that unlocks the shifter in accordance with federal law.