: iPod kit for STS V

yourgmsolutions
01-31-07, 01:08 AM
Hi guys.
just want to have idea how many of You would be interesting to purchase iPod kit for Your vehicles.

1. complete plug and play
2. you see artist name on your nav screen
3. this kit will also charge your iPod
4. use some of the functions for iPod on your steering wheel controls
5. You will able to navigate iPod through your navigation touch screen

price range $250 - $300

JDG
01-31-07, 01:54 AM
i'd be interested....i run my ipod thru the video inputs in the center console but it would be nice to use the display screen

Kadonny
02-01-07, 10:25 AM
It sounds great but not for that kind of money.

Sorry. I stick to my audio in jacks for 39.99.

NC STS-V
02-04-07, 05:23 PM
I'd be interested as well. The A/V inputs work ok, but I'd really like to have the ability to control and display through the car's screen.

caddyv8v
02-05-07, 02:46 PM
i did not know that a ipod could be plugged into the v. i have seen the jacks, but did not know they would accept the ipod. care to share the type of cable that is required etc. thanks in advance.

Kadonny
02-05-07, 03:17 PM
i did not know that a ipod could be plugged into the v. i have seen the jacks, but did not know they would accept the ipod. care to share the type of cable that is required etc. thanks in advance.

Just go to Radioshack and look for the area where they sell ipod acces. All you need is RCA jacks on the one end and a standard headphone jack to fit in the bottom of the ipod on the other end.

Look in your center console and see the colors on the plug ins. Those match the colors on the RCA jacks. Red, white and if equipped yellow. Red and whtie are left and right audio, yellow is video if you want that too.

I think the one I got was made by Monster or maybe Belkin or something. It cost me like 39.99. Read the manual and follow the instructions for the aux. input. It works great except that you have to control the songs on the ipod and just the sound comes through into the car.

caddyv8v
02-06-07, 10:01 AM
thanks. that is awsome. until now i was not sure exactly what those inputs were good for. i wonder if the srx/dts etc that have ipod inputs next to the stereo show the info on the screen for those vehicles with nav.

Kadonny
02-06-07, 03:49 PM
Good question. If they are specifically ipod plug ins, I bet it does show it.

The_Groundhog
02-08-07, 11:13 PM
Reading through some of the messages I've read that this kit only allows you to scroll through 10 play lists. Is this true? I was unable to find anyone that answered the question. I would like to be able to scroll through all of my songs.

55cadillacking
10-01-08, 11:27 PM
You guys got me all excited about the A/V plugs but when I plugged in my iPod, I was only getting audio through the left side speakers. When I faded to the right...nothing. I can't imagine I was doing anything wrong. White plug; white socket, red plug; red socket...how hard can it be, right? I went with a shielded y-adapter (stereo plug to two phono plugs) and I am using a first generation nano (if that means anything). Maybe I need a different cord, or iPod?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

saleenc330
10-02-08, 12:08 AM
I just picked up a cable from Crutchfield which connects the bottom of the iPod into the RCA jacks in the center console. It also has power/ground leads so you can charge the iPod when its plugged in (haven't hooked that up yet). The nice part with this set up (as opposed to connecting to the headphone jack on the top of the iPod) is you can watch movies on the Nav screen. Now, I just need to install my lock pick thingy so we can watch movies while in driving.

dhemrick
10-02-08, 12:15 AM
I just picked up a cable from Crutchfield which connects the bottom of the iPod into the RCA jacks in the center console. It also has power/ground leads so you can charge the iPod when its plugged in (haven't hooked that up yet). The nice part with this set up (as opposed to connecting to the headphone jack on the top of the iPod) is you can watch movies on the Nav screen. Now, I just need to install my lock pick thingy so we can watch movies while in driving.

I wonder if this would work with the iPod Touch or iPhone. Can you post a link to the cable you bought?

saleenc330
10-02-08, 12:30 AM
Sure, here is the link to Crutchfield. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work with an iPhone or Touch. They have a kick @ss customer service desk tho, I'm sure if you called them they could tell you if there is another cable out there.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=206PDVIDV2&tp=122

Cliff8928
10-02-08, 02:12 PM
I wonder if this would work with the iPod Touch or iPhone. Can you post a link to the cable you bought?

Even though most of the accessories don't say they will work, they should. I haven't had any issues using any of the accessories for my old (3rd gen) iPod with my iPhone.

55cadillacking
10-02-08, 04:22 PM
So I take it I'm the only one experiencing a problem getting my ipod to play through the a/v jacks?

saleenc330
10-02-08, 05:45 PM
55cadillacking - did you select your input to "video" on the nav system? Hit "AUX" on the dash and select video on the screen (I think it defaults to XM). Also, make sure your cables are pushed in all the way both on the ipod and the a/v jacks in the glove box. where are you connecting on the iPod - at the top or bottom? I think the top audio out jack works better than going through the bottom connector.

55cadillacking
10-03-08, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the response. I have the tunes coming through, but they are only coming through the left channel. When I set the balance all the way right, I get nothing. I think it's something to do with the Nano. I have two and both do the same thing. I'll get a different iPod from a buddy and test it. Does anyone here have a Nano working using the A/V jacks? I'd be interested to know. Thanks again,

Rick

adamhw
10-03-08, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the response. I have the tunes coming through, but they are only coming through the left channel. When I set the balance all the way right, I get nothing. I think it's something to do with the Nano. I have two and both do the same thing. I'll get a different iPod from a buddy and test it. Does anyone here have a Nano working using the A/V jacks? I'd be interested to know. Thanks again,

Rick

A lot of the av jacks dont match the colors. Switch the imputs. The video plug may be you right sound. For some reason the headphone outputs on the apple products are orientated differently. Just try switching them around.

55cadillacking
10-03-08, 11:49 AM
A lot of the av jacks dont match the colors. Switch the imputs. The video plug may be you right sound. For some reason the headphone outputs on the apple products are orientated differently. Just try switching them around.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can find a configuration that works. If that means buying a new input cord and/or iPod, well so be it.

55cadillacking
10-03-08, 06:15 PM
The more I think about it, I'm going to get my dealer to check my a/v jacks. I think the problem might be that the right channel isn't working properly. Thanks guys.

Longhorn2005
10-08-08, 03:28 PM
I am new to I Pods. My 08 STS has the jacks in the console. Is here only only one way to hook the I Pod up? Do I need a cig charger? This is my wife's car and we want to keep it as simple as possible, the less wires, the better. If there two ways of making this thing work, which is better and preferrable? Thanks Don't really care about he expense....just want the best operation!

dhemrick
10-08-08, 06:24 PM
I am new to I Pods. My 08 STS has the jacks in the console. Is here only only one way to hook the I Pod up? Do I need a cig charger? This is my wife's car and we want to keep it as simple as possible, the less wires, the better. If there two ways of making this thing work, which is better and preferrable? Thanks Don't really care about he expense....just want the best operation!

I just bought a cable from Best Buy that incorporates all of audio, video and charging functions in one cable. It could not be simpler than that!

It works with the standard "wide" connector for iPhone or iPod.

The cable has the iPod connector on one end, and the other end has three RCA connectors for left, right and video as well as a USB connector for power.

In my center console, I plugged the RCA connectors into the video and audio input jacks, and used a cigarette lighter to USB adaptor to provide power. All of the cable mess stays in the console, and all that is out in the passenger compartment is one tidy cable with the iPod connector on one end.

Now when I get in my car, I just have to plug in one cable to my iPhone. I can charge it, plus get audio and video through the nav screen when set to AUX mode. I think that should be simple enough for your wife.

The cable lists for $53.99. I already had a cigarette lighter to USB adaptor, but if you don't have one those are cheap.

55cadillacking
10-20-08, 04:58 PM
I took my car in to the dealer to get the A/V jacks checked out and the idiot "technician" scratched the hell out of my dash when he replaced the head unit. Still doesn't work, so they are now going to replace the jacks and harness. Don't ask me why they wouldn't have done that first. So far, I have taken my car to two Calgary Cadillac dealerships and now I have a gouged rim and a scratched dash to show for it. I'm currently waiting on the jacks and harness to arrive and they say they will replace all scratched dash panels....we'll see.