: Winter wash techniques?

G--
01-30-07, 07:37 PM
Ok, I'm in TX, so please save the northern weather comparison to us warm weather folks thread jack(s), as it does get a little cool in Dallas from time to time...
Since most of us are somewhere on the picky scale when it comes to washing our Vs, I would not think that too many of us take our cars to the local car wash to go through some sort of mechanical bristle/brush/paint scratcher/wax remover wash, but I could be wrong.
I'm also guessing most of you (that do not put your V in storage for the winter) have your outdoor faucets and pipes covered. Do you still wash your V at home during the frigid months?
Assuming any of these above statements are true (and I know what assuming can do to you), how do you wash your V considering how dirty it gets when driving in the winter weather? Just curious...

Florian
01-30-07, 07:55 PM
Ok, I'm in TX, so please save the northern weather comparison to us warm weather folks thread jack(s), as it does get a little cool in Dallas from time to time...
Since most of us are somewhere on the picky scale when it comes to washing our Vs, I would not think that too many of us take our cars to the local car wash to go through some sort of mechanical bristle/brush/paint scratcher/wax remover wash, but I could be wrong.
I'm also guessing most of you (that do not put your V in storage for the winter) have your outdoor faucets and pipes covered. Do you still wash your V at home during the frigid months?
Assuming any of these above statements are true (and I know what assuming can do to you), how do you wash your V considering how dirty it gets when driving in the winter weather? Just curious...

Heated garage with water and drain works for me....but I only drive the Jimmy in the salt. V gets washed in Dec and put under cover until the salt is washed from the roads (Mar/Apr)

F

Silver Dollar
01-30-07, 08:08 PM
Nut up and get after it like a man.

G--
01-30-07, 08:19 PM

Wow, with icons like this :sheep: named after Florian (at least it used to be, if I recall correctly), you shouldn't say things like that to him, he was only trying put in his $.02...

-Self Thread Jack off-

Florian
01-30-07, 08:49 PM

I drove that bitch for a year with the regular RWHP and it was hairy....now with 100 more RWHP...no chance. 12" of snow today...no probs with the Jimmy 4x4, the V wouldnt have made it out the drive....
I got your nuts right here!!!! :thepan:

F

Jschmank
01-30-07, 09:03 PM
warm bucket of water and as long as the temp is above freezing and the hose isnt frozen I wash her all year long. Winter washes tend to be a bit quicker than the summer ones though. Once it is dry I get it into the garage for the final touch ups.

rand49er
01-30-07, 09:09 PM
... during the frigid months? ...Are you talkin' below 50 degrees? :histeric:

No heated garage here, but it does stay about 20 degrees warmer in mine than the outside. I got water/hose in garage, but can't use it unless it's 32 or above since it'd coat the V with ice. I use rubber gloves with a soft towel to wash with, and my hands stay mostly above freezing. I'm fortunate enough this winter that my V can stay inside when it's sloppy out, which describes it pretty well right about now. Not going above freezing for another week and a half according to projections, so V is gonna stay asleep nice and cozy. I miss her. :crybaby:

mostoyzwinz
01-30-07, 09:17 PM
warm bucket of water and as long as the temp is above freezing and the hose isnt frozen I wash her all year long. Winter washes tend to be a bit quicker than the summer ones though. Once it is dry I get it into the garage for the final touch ups.
Even with temp <0C, warm bucket of H20, plumbed hot H20 to a mixer valve for the hose spigot, asses and elbows wash cycle, back her into the wood stove heated garage for the defrost. Oh yeah, rubber coated insulated gloves are a nice touch. Not fun, but only other acceptable option is the automated touchless car wash which will only was the light stuff off a nicely waxed V.

rand49er
01-30-07, 09:28 PM
[quote=mostoyzwinz;959425... the automated touchless car wash ...[/quote]For those of us who can, hand wash is the only way. And, I realize that not all can or would be willing to, but I must say my hands know all her curves and crevices ... and especially her G-spot. :shhh:

thebigjimsho
01-31-07, 05:01 AM
Assuming any of these above statements are true (and I know what assuming can do to you), how do you wash your V considering how dirty it gets when driving in the winter weather? Just curious...Why don't you leave that cold climate and move to someplace warm? Like Los Cabos?