: New Hotchkis Brackets - Certified for autocross

calicadi
01-30-07, 12:52 AM
The new brackets were officially torture tested at yesterday's SCCA Autocross sessions. I'm happy to report zero distortion. I think this new design is really gonna hold up well. Now go and do what you must.
:thumbsup:

austin
01-30-07, 01:43 AM
Put them on last month... They look real tough... Very happy with them. The ones i took off were distorted. I'm having second thoughts though on how well the collars will hold in place. I cranked them down as tight as they would go, but there's still a 020 gap on the sides where the to halfs meet. I hope that all of the left/right side force movment doesn't make them walk. How have the collars held up for you?

rand49er
01-30-07, 07:20 AM
Good news, cali! They look good, but now we have confirmation. :thumbsup:

Hey, austin, I think mine have about 0.020 gap, too, but mine are still on the outside. As soon as it warms up around here (May? ha ha), I plan on installing both the beefier brackets and moving the collars to the inside where I'm hoping to eliminate any gap (or come closer to doing so).

tweeter81
01-30-07, 12:16 PM
Thanks calicadi. That is good news. I will either be using rgd's homemade brackets or the Hots ones and I will definitely be beating the hell out of them at the trackday in Pahrump in April.

austin
01-30-07, 02:18 PM
>Hey, austin, I think mine have about 0.020 gap, too, but mine are still on the outside.

Thanks.... I'm not sure i could of gotten that gap any closer. I cranked the bolts down good and tight, to the point where it seemed that if i went any further they would of stripped or broke apart. When you do move the collars to the inside.... Make sure you use a strong degreaser/carb spray and the clean any grease off of the bar. The collars will grip and hold better.

calicadi
01-31-07, 01:28 AM
Put them on last month... They look real tough... Very happy with them. The ones i took off were distorted. I'm having second thoughts though on how well the collars will hold in place. I cranked them down as tight as they would go, but there's still a 020 gap on the sides where the to halfs meet. I hope that all of the left/right side force movment doesn't make them walk. How have the collars held up for you?
My collars are fine. I think I have a slight gap as well. Roundness imperfections or maybe they measured the ID of the collars on an unpainted bar and they are a tiny bit undersized? You definitely want them inboard of the brackets (see rand49er post) for the best fit.