: New to me 88 fleetwood brougham

bigl83
01-29-07, 11:49 PM
Im new here and just picked up an 88 fleetwood brougham with 97000original kms and never winter driven for a crazy deal.
It has a couple problems that i will need to take care of though.

The self closing trunk motor was draining the battery so the previous owner just unhooked the motor and now the trunk does not close all the way, im just wondering if i need to replace the motor or if i can do something to just make the trunk close normally til the weather gets nicer and i feel like working on it.

the other problem is the taillight housing on one side has about a 1cm gap from being flush with the body and the other side is fine, is it easy to adjust it to make them both even??

Also does anyone know if they make dash kits that dont look like ass for when i install my deck in the car?? the interior is too nice to put some shitty looking plastic plate around my deck.

Nick

bigl83
02-01-07, 12:11 PM
anyone??

Cadillac Giovanni
02-01-07, 12:41 PM
Well, here's what I know...

Cars not driven in winter can be trouble if you decide to start. I'd make sure to put a nice undercoating on it so none of lines, tubes, or wires get corroded. Not that it will happen all at once, but it's a small step towards keeping the car in good condition.

Does anyone else find it odd that so many of these cars have low mileage? Sometimes I think people just post what it says on the dash, due to the lack of a 6th digit. I know people take good care of Cadillacs in general, but that doesn't mean they don't drive them.

There is SOMETHING you can do about the trunk, although i think it involves removing the motor, which, if you were going to do, you may as well just replace it.

That gap between the tail light housing and the body is a MENACE! A MENACE I TELLS YA! There's really nothing you can do short of taking it to a body shop, and even then... I took mine to a body shop after it was rear ended, the tail light housing was pulled several inches away from the body because the bumper was bent downward. It was near perfect before, and the body guys failed to get it back that way. One thing you could try is backing the car into a telephone pole (gently) or other firm, non-damaging surface (no cement) and then pushing up against it. It made it a little better on mine, but the only thing that will make it perfect is having the entire bumper repositioned.

Lasty, to my knowledge, all dash kits look like ass. If you want to protect your dash, but some protective stuff on it. I was mine with turtlewax sunstop. It had two crack in it when i bought the car, but it hasn't gotten anymore, and it stays outside all the time.

90Brougham350
02-01-07, 02:09 PM
I kept the factory radio in my '90 and removed the glovebox, installed my CD player there.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-01-07, 02:25 PM
Oh, sorry, you said "Dash Kit" but i read "dash cover" for some reason. Must be my advanced age.

Yeah, I did the same thing to my car, I left the factory radio in, but i mounted my new one under the dash, then i ran some new power lines to the factory radio so that it still lights up and tells time and whatnot.

But yeah, all dash kits look like crap, so technically, i wasn't far off originally.

fleetwood76
02-01-07, 03:39 PM
Hello.

I think the trunk motor is like on my -76, if so, you remove the plastic, that cover the motor, 2 screws i think it is.

You now have axcess to the pulldown house.

In that house, facing forward is a slot in a axle showing.
If you use a screwdriver and turn that axle the pulldown latch moves, just adjust it to a good height for your trunk to close right.

jolle.

Destroyer
02-01-07, 04:18 PM
Lasty, to my knowledge, all dash kits look like ass. If you want to protect your dash, but some protective stuff on it. I was mine with turtlewax sunstop. It had two crack in it when i bought the car, but it hasn't gotten anymore, and it stays outside all the time.
By dash kits do you mean the carpet mats that protect the dash?. My car had them when I bought it (to protect not cover damage) and I think it looks good.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-01-07, 05:45 PM
Yes, i already mentioned my misreading of your post.

bigl83
02-01-07, 10:25 PM
thanks for the help, i fixed the trunk temporarily by taking apart the motor and cranking the latch by hand.

as for the tailighs i think i will adjust them when i do the body on it this spring.

i need to figure out something to do in the interior of this car though because it is rough, the old man that used to own it was a very heavy smoker and seemed to be retarded when it came to his ashes, there are cigarette burns everywhere, on the dash all over the seats and pretty much anywhere you can think of, i might just do an all out old school pimp car and cover the dash and seats with either zebra or leopard print faux fur.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-01-07, 10:28 PM
J.C. Whitney offers some real nice, crushed velvet seat covers that are made to fit perfectly over the factory seats. They come in a variety of colors and are even padded, to make the seats more comfortable than they already are. I think they go for about 200 bucks for the front seats.

Red_October_7000
02-02-07, 01:18 AM
thanks for the help, i fixed the trunk temporarily by taking apart the motor and cranking the latch by hand.

as for the tailighs i think i will adjust them when i do the body on it this spring.

i need to figure out something to do in the interior of this car though because it is rough, the old man that used to own it was a very heavy smoker and seemed to be retarded when it came to his ashes, there are cigarette burns everywhere, on the dash all over the seats and pretty much anywhere you can think of, i might just do an all out old school pimp car and cover the dash and seats with either zebra or leopard print faux fur.

I can't help but be reminded of the time my buddy and I were watching a movie and smoking cigars. I went for the ash tray and missed because I was watching the movie. He looks at it later and says "What is this!?! -ashes! Not in the ash tray! Good job, Captain Ashes Not In The Ashtray!" I'll admit I ash in weird places but even I don't get them on the dashboard. Apparently the car belonged to Supreme Commander Ashes Not In The Ashtray.

I'd say take a look at the wrecker's yards around and see if something turns up -I've put new seats in my car twice this way, getting nicer seats each time than the last, for uder $100 each time. The dashboard, I don't know what to do about that except replace it.