: Hydraulic clutch oil

cts-v ls6
01-29-07, 06:30 PM
I have 94k miles on the V and need to add oil to the clutch reservoir. The FAQ talks about bleeding the clutch, but doesn't mention what type of oil to use. Anyone done this? Do I need to plan on bleeding the clutch if all I'm doing is adding oil?

Thanks, guys.

Jack

Pengineer91
01-29-07, 06:35 PM
Your car uses GM's "Delco Supreme 11" brake fluid. It's equvalent to DOT 3 brake fluid.

rand49er
01-29-07, 07:26 PM
I have 94k miles on the V ...That's the most I've heard of. :thumbsup: How are things holding up?

Rockafella
01-29-07, 07:54 PM
I use GM's "Hydraulic Clutch Fluid" part #12345347. Picked some up at the dealer.

Jschmank
01-29-07, 08:43 PM
read your manual. It shows the part number for GM, but shows a substitute for Dot 4 brake fluid I believe, not Dot 3. I stopped by the dealer for a fill and they had to order it.

zozmanCTS-V
01-29-07, 09:27 PM
Use DOT-3 hydraulic brake fluid or equivelent. DOT-4 is usually for motorcycles. Source: Owner's Manual 6-13.

rgd
01-30-07, 02:41 AM
I just bled mine and replaced it with Motul 600 Dot 4. High temp brake (hydrolic) fluid. Working just fine.

Bleeding is is a snap. It didn't take much fluid or time at all. The hardest part was finding the bleeder valve. Just in case you decide to bleed it, you will find the bleeder valve on the front left side of the transmission. It is about 2/3 up the side were the case starts its 45deg from vertical. You can't get to it from above. Mine had a little black rubber on it just like the brake bleeder valves have.

tedcmiller
01-30-07, 10:45 AM
All of the different DOT brake fluids (3, 4, 5, etc.) have different temperature, moisture, and compressabliity ratings. DO NOT mix different fluids! The CTS-V uses DOT-3 brake fluid. You can also use this in the clutch. In fact, the standard CTS does not have a separate clutch fluid reservoir. The clutch fluid line comes directly off the brake reservoir.

cts-v ls6
01-30-07, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

The V is holding up great at 94k miles. I put in a 2006 rear, and now my 6th gear slips out to neutral (I've bought a new synchro and fork, just haven't put them in). Other than the radio knobs peeling, it's an incredible ride. And StealthV tuned it to run on 87 octane Walmart gas--and it runs better than any car I've ever owned-including my 2 all original 68 and 69 Z28 RS's.

Come see us.

Jack

Pengineer91
01-30-07, 07:04 PM
All of the different DOT brake fluids (3, 4, 5, etc.) have different temperature, moisture, and compressabliity ratings. DO NOT mix different fluids! The CTS-V uses DOT-3 brake fluid. You can also use this in the clutch. In fact, the standard CTS does not have a separate clutch fluid reservoir. The clutch fluid line comes directly off the brake reservoir.

DOT 3 and 4 are generally interchangeable. The major differences are minimum boiling points and the rate at which they attract water. DOT 4 fluids tend to have higher boiling points, but attract water at a faster rate. Many fluids (ex. Valvoline Synpower) carry both ratings.

DOT 5 is a completely different fluid that is incompatible with systems that use DOT 3 or 4. DOT 5 is silicone based, whereas DOT 3 and 4 are glycol-based. They do not play well together at all.

FYI, my '05 3.6L 6sp CTS has a separate clutch fluid reservoir. It is not tied to the brake reservoir.

Jschmank
01-30-07, 09:13 PM
Per my 2005 manual, page 6-12 Recommended Fluids, the hydralic clutch system calls for GM part # 88958860, or Super Dot-4 brake fluid. I ordered a can from my dealer and it says Super Dot-4 Brake Fluid. I think the boiling point is the reason for the Dot-4 usage. I wouldn't put Dot 3 in based on the owners manual.

tedcmiller
01-31-07, 07:42 AM
DOT 3 and 4 are generally interchangeable.

Although DOT 4 and Dot 5 hydraulic fluids are similar and in some cases can be interchanged in an application, they still should not be mixed. That is, do not add DOT 3 to a system containing DOT 4 or vice-versa. If a switch from one to the other is desired, the system should be purged and refilled with the desired fluid.