: Attention 2006 Sts Owners "beware"

aconiglio74
01-29-07, 02:24 PM
I recently leased a 2006 STS in August. While driving home one afternoon my rear back window shattered. That's right shattered out of nowhere. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't have bothered me too much, however I have a 3 month old baby. Luckily my baby wasn't in the car at the time. By the time I arrived home the window was 3/4 gone and the car seat was filled with glass. By the time I arrived at the dealer I had no rear window. After a technician looked over my car it was brought to my attention that Cadillac is awhere of the problem and is ONLY notifying the dealerships to give them a heads-up. No recall notices are or will be going out regarding this defect. The end result was the molding at the base of the window, over time, will get jammed in the trunk thus causing the glass to shatter. After approaching Cadillac about my concern they basically said to me, "well sir your child wasn't in the car so there really isn't a problem." "And even if your child was in the car what's to say something would have happen." I'm sure I'm not the only person who owns a 2006 STS and transports their children. If enough of us can cause a "stink" about this maybe Cadillac will react before a baby gets seriously injured.

jgrade
01-29-07, 02:59 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Do a search on this forum and you will see many threads about the rear window shattering. It's a know issue HERE but apparently not with GM since I have not personally seen a recall notice. Hope the rest of the lease goes better for you.

Jesda
01-29-07, 03:14 PM
This has been a problem for GM, Nissan, and Toyota. Its very bizarre and I think some suppliers are to blame.

Tinmanx
01-30-07, 12:38 AM
I had my 2006 STS-V for 3 weeks and the back window just shattered. Fortunately the tint held it together. No, the rear window defroster had not been on. Funny how the local glass company that the dealership recommended had something like that in stock!

AllWheelEric
01-31-07, 10:58 AM
This is a safety issue. Please report it to increase the likeliness of a recall.
Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Kadonny
02-01-07, 03:54 PM
If the dealer really said that, time to find another dealer.

caddycruiser
02-02-07, 06:13 PM
Very odd problem, and like Jesda said it is not just with some GM products alone. Definitely seems supplier related, but GM is kind of in a gray area--bad problem, and some will have it but most won't, so they just end up not saying much and treating it on a case by case basis. But, in the end, that's probably best, as the majority of owners won't ever even know about it.

Just stinks for those who do...especially while randomly driving, and boom.

macklobell
02-02-07, 06:38 PM
This is very scary....I have been hearing a noise in my rear passenger area and the dealer says that they don't hear it....Their famous saying is "works according to factory specification..:hmm:

ewill3rd
02-02-07, 10:05 PM
Encourage your dealership to file a "Field Product Report" and express your safety concerns about this condition.
Also call Cadillac customer care and relate your safety concerns to them as well.
I see no indication that GM is issuing a recall but note that a redesigned part has been put into production.
They may be working on an inspection procedure and possibly a recall for affected vehicles but I am not sure.
I don't like to encourage people to throw GM under the bus, but in this instance you might want to notify NHTSA of your experience.
They may be investigating it already.

Some owners may comment that the back glass on their vehicle shattered after they started the car, turned on the rear defogger or closed a door or the decklid, particularly in colder weather. Generally, a radial cracking pattern, like spokes on a wheel, can be seen in the glass starting from the right or left lower corner about 4 inches in from the outside.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This condition may be caused by the reveal molding at the lower edge of the glass being too stiff. A back glass with a new softer lower reveal molding went into production October 9, 2006. The part number for the new glass is 19152565. Back glasses available from the After Market also have the softer lower reveal molding.

macklobell
02-02-07, 11:12 PM
Thanks...I definately will be asking my dealership next week to file a field product report...

TAMPASRX
02-03-07, 01:26 AM
I am the pre-owned manager at a Caddy dealership in Tampa. I had a transporter drop off a 2005 STS yesterday. He said he came out of a restuarant and saw the rear glass shattered while it was loaded on his truck. He couldn't believe it and had never seen anything like it. I was equally shocked. But now I believe his story.

graphicguy
02-03-07, 08:41 AM
Same thing happened to my '06 STS. Just driving along and "POW", the rear window imploded, sending glass all over me and the rest of the interior. I've owned a lot of different brands and a lot of different models. I've never had anything like this happen.

Definitely a safety issue. I started swerving all over the road when the glass started flying. If any of those little pieces of glass had ricothed around the interior and hit me in the eyes, it would have been all over for me.

Onalaska
02-03-07, 08:45 AM
Sounds like having the rear window tinted with window film is not a bad idea at least to help contain the fragments of glass if the window pops!