: Buying a used SRX

garage116
01-29-07, 11:04 AM
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a used SRX.
What should I look for/ pay attention to when I take it for a test drive?
Any known issues?
Weak places?

Thanks!

SoccerDad
01-29-07, 11:32 AM
I just got one a couple months ago - watch the prices - they should be giving them away. Use the NADA book prices or closer to Kelly Blue Book Wholesale rather than retail.

They're great "cars" I love our '04 - wife and daughter find them cool - I enjoy the drive quality.

Look out for AWD models being sold as RWD - see threads about de-coding the VIN Numbers.

I also prefer the N* V8 over the 6, really like the Ultraview roof - and the Bose System is far superior to the basic stereo system in my loaner.

I compare this SRX to my friend's vehicles which include FX45, BMW X5, Lexus mini-bus, and an Aviator. I really like this one the best.

TSS
01-29-07, 11:51 AM
2006 had a few improvements over prior years. Power lifgate, different interior dash color etc for the light interior, narrower door sills, etc.

Definitely try to get a v-8 if the price is right AND MRC (magnetic ride control) is phenomenal. You will only find MRC (usually) on fully loaded vehicles because it was a very expensive option (almost as much as AWD I think).

garage116
01-29-07, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your responses!!
Does it have any known issues to look out for?

garage116
01-29-07, 12:04 PM
I just got one a couple months ago - watch the prices - they should be giving them away. Use the NADA book prices or closer to Kelly Blue Book Wholesale rather than retail.

Why would they give them away?
What is NADA book?

Thanks

donjumpsuit
01-29-07, 12:51 PM
SRX is an awesome car, but ......

Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,A lways,
Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,Always,A lways,
Always,Always,Always

check the carfax/service report, and never buy a Used SRX with any problems except, oil change, and maybe ultraview sunroof adjustment.

c5 rv
01-29-07, 01:07 PM
- Check the jack storage well in the rear for standing water / rust.

- I would limit my search to 05 and later units to avoid first year issues.

- If you have a spouse, take her / him along if you are looking at a pre-06 unit to verify that you both don't hate the wide door sills.

- I would buy a Cadillac certified pre-owned over any other.

SoccerDad
01-29-07, 01:45 PM
Clarification - on giving them away.........

In central Florida prices are really low for these things - except at the dealer. I have seen a swing of $8K on 04's and 05's. Bargin as much as you can - check competing dealers like Carmax for competitive quotes - CPO is worth something but not that much.

Re-sale values for all Cadillacs has taken a bit of a beating lately.

05awdupstater
01-29-07, 08:16 PM
Clarification- Within the car business, the CPO is known as a "no brainer." Owning an expensive to repair vehicle without the written guarantee seems foolish to most. FWIW, it costs the dealer right around a grand if you want to make sure there not taking advantage of you.

jmayhew
01-30-07, 10:18 AM
- Check the jack storage well in the rear for standing water / rust.

i ddin't check this when i got my 06....whats the issue with the storage well?

i'll have to check mine out

alexandria
01-30-07, 10:25 AM
Deal or No Deal?

$35,000 for a 2006 SRX (V8, AWD, NAV, MRC, Bose, Utility Package, Raven Black, 7000 miles). No DVD and no Ultraview.

Appreciate your responses!

TSS
01-30-07, 11:45 AM
certified?

I was finding vehicles w/ all those criteria PLUS Ultraview and 3rd row back in june (for an 06) for that price range. Therefore, unless it is certified, it is "in the zone", but not a great deal.

alexandria
01-30-07, 12:18 PM
Yes, 3rd row and Certified. Does that make things more competitive?

TSS
01-30-07, 01:01 PM
Definitely. If it looks great in person and you want black, I think it is a very fair price considering it was near 52K approx new and now you have a better warrantee than when it was new. Go for it! You will love it.

p.s. The SRX sounds just like except mine is Diamond and I have the roof (just hit 6800 miles). The fact that it has MRC is both rare and essential in my opinion.

c5 rv
01-30-07, 01:04 PM
i ddin't check this when i got my 06....whats the issue with the storage well?

i'll have to check mine out

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/35942-water-rear-jack-compartment.html?highlight=jack

inline6
01-30-07, 05:57 PM
If you are buying from a Cadillac dealer, have them printout the car's service history. If there is a lot of activity, you may want to pass on it. Our 04 has only had two issues; 1) a radio and trip computer shuffling and resetting issue that took GM almost a year to figure out (a wide spread problem at the time) and 2) plugged rear window washer hose. Mechanically it has been flawless. Good luck on your purchase