: Starburst on oil

Dadillac
01-29-07, 07:58 AM
The oil threads are killing me. I feel like I am stuck in 1955. Question for all who wish to share. Can anyone anywhere buy automotive engine oil that does not have the starburst symbol on it? If yes, please tell me where so I can see it with my own eyes. I do not believe that I have ever bought a quart of oil that did not have this on the label. So why is everyone mentioning it in the other threads to make sure to buy oil with the symbol?

Don

codewize
01-29-07, 08:15 AM
Don, I'm not positive but I think it might be like a dollar store thing? Maybe some low end retailers? You won't find it in a major dept store I'm sure.

Patrick7997
01-29-07, 08:18 AM
Lots of oils don't have it....

Many of the "high mileage" ones don't....

Most of the 10W40 I see doesn't....

None of the Delvac or Rotella deals have it....

Some of the Mobil "Extended Performance" doesn't....

You'll find many without it at Wally World....

JimD
01-29-07, 08:24 AM
You can buy non-starburst oil anywhere. Look for single grade oils like HD-30; they will not have the starburst symbol.

When you find the single grade oil on the shelf, there should also be multi-grade oils that are non-starburst in the same area. Truck stops are a great source. Likewise Wal-Mart, O'Reilly, and others.

Dadillac
01-29-07, 09:56 AM
Not that it matters, but I will check it out. I have been using 5w30 forever, and the starburst has always been there. This will just get logged into the uselss information portion of my brain. Thanks guys.

Don

eldorado1
01-29-07, 11:10 AM
Ain't no ILSAC starburst here:

http://www.mapllc.com/products/lubricants/images/api_certified_starburst.gif

By the way, the reason it does not have an ILSAC starburst, is because it contains a lot of phosphorous in the form of ZDP. This is a high pressure anti-wear additive that does very well to keep your cams and lifters in good shape, but has the disadvantage of killing your catalytic converter. The EPA would rather sacrifice your engine to save a cat.

The amount of ZDP is steadily declining in oil with the starburst as stricter regulations come out. Not so hot for engines with flat tappets.

EcSTSatic
01-29-07, 12:05 PM
I put any ol' 30w in my 25 year old lawn mower. The newer B&S engines (http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=64066) are requiring automotive quality stuff nowadays

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/library/Oil_Star_burst.gif

Ranger
01-29-07, 04:30 PM
I have a 25+ yr. old 14 HP Kohler in my garden tractor that I have been running straight 30 in. Maybe its time to switch to Rotella.

clarkz71
01-29-07, 04:45 PM
I have a 25+ yr. old 14 HP Kohler in my garden tractor that I have been running straight 30 in. Maybe its time to switch to Rotella.

That's funny. I've been running Supertech 30 weight in my B&S 18.5 hp.

codewize
01-29-07, 05:07 PM
I guess I never really paid attention. What does this star-burst look like?

eldorado1
01-29-07, 08:17 PM

Maybe...

What RPM can it rev to? 3000?

What is the valve spring rate?

What is the mass of the lifters? It doesn't have lifters?? Hmm, then you'll have less less force on the cam lobes....

Sarcasm aside, you could run that garden tractor motor with straight kerosine in the sump.

Ranger
01-29-07, 08:28 PM
To the questions, the answer is BTSOM.

Your probably right about the kerosene. Based on that and what Clark said, I'll probably just stick with what I have been using.

clarkz71
01-30-07, 06:15 AM
I guess I never really paid attention. What does this star-burst look like?

Like this.

codewize
01-30-07, 08:46 AM
Thanks, I have seen that.

Like this.