: Car Bra - 2007 SRX

j123456k
01-29-07, 12:41 AM
To all,

My wife and I have been having a good time outfitting our new 2007 SRX. We have already purchased a Weathertech cargo liner and cargo net, both of which are working very well in the VERY NICE vehicle.

We plan on keeping this vehicle for along time and were thinking about getting a protective bra for the front of vehicle for trips, but probably take off for day to day driving.

Another string is talking about a clear 3M coating that this person apparently is happy about. However, I have never used a protective coating or a car bra and am pretty ignorant on this subject.

A few questions that I would appreciate help with

1. What are peoples experiences with car bras?
2. Is there are car bra made for the SRX for which one would recommend?
3. Are there any downsides to car bras?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Jeff

dcarr66
01-29-07, 07:07 AM
I'll throw in another variable: a hood deflector. I had one on my previous car and am considering getting one for the SRX. You can see a picture here (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=12498928&partnumber=12498928).

The one I had seemed to do a good job deflecting most rocks from the hood, and definitely helped with bugs in the windshield. One of the good things about hood deflectors is that they don't contact the painted surface of the hood, which is a negative for the bras. I've heard they can wear the clear-coat.

I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the bra during daily driving - you'll pick up plenty of debris in the front end even on short trips around town. Then you have the problem of uneven fading of the paint if you leave it on. Kind of a no-win situation in my opinion.

TSS
01-29-07, 10:26 AM
My experience: traditional bras do more harm than good. Scratches WILL happen with them.

The hard plastic hood protectors are good - I have had them on a few trucks. However, I don't think they are particulary attractive. They are very easy to take on and take off after the first installation though - just as easy, if not easier than a bra.

I don't use any of the above on my SRX. I simply wax the front bumper, side mirrors, and front edge of the hood monthly. So far, zero chips. Paint is much stronger than it used to be. The 3M bra seems like a good idea, but I would have to see it installed to decide.

j123456k
01-31-07, 10:31 PM
TSS,

I have never used bras before either. I have just washed and waxed my cars so much, that I thought that would be good enough. I was just thinking that maybe I would use a Car Bra when I went on trips, but I did not want to leave it on full time as I want to alter the look of the vehicle. Don't know what to think about the 3M bra......I think I would have to see it first before I went that way as well.

By the way, what wax do you use? I have been using IBIZ products for about 20 years now and just love them.......but would be interested to hear what other wash and wax fanatics (like me) use.

Thanks,

Jeff

TSS
02-01-07, 10:03 AM
You know, I have used all kinds over the years - cheap to expensive.

Presently I use Meguires Cleaner Wax because all my vehicles are a light color. If they were dark, I would probably still be using Zymol. Zymol gives a better shine. The cleaner wax is slightly more abrasive, which is why I would not use it on a dark car. It is very easy to apply, cheap, holds up well, and comes off the black trim fairly well.

The best stuff I have ever used (super costly) is something called Insulator wax. I don't even know if it is available in stores. I still have some at home, but won't waste it on a light car.

Light colors (I have diamond white and the other is cashmere) need protection and some VERY MILD abrasive wax to look good. I have found very little difference in shine with those colors - regardless of the wax used.
I have used the Meguires Cleaner Wax on my 2001 SLS (cashmere) since we got it in early 2003. It looks brand new still. However, it is difficult to say that is a function of the wax or my anal tendencies.

c5 rv
02-01-07, 10:54 AM
... It looks brand new still. However, it is difficult to say that is a function of the wax or my anal tendencies.

LOL I can certainly relate to that.