: Trans too full!!!96 eldo

eldonova
03-15-04, 05:49 PM
is there a drain plug on the trans?i want to take some fluid out and try some trans medic on it.where is it located?on this model.

eldorado1
03-15-04, 09:04 PM
There is no drainplug, but, I don't see a problem with removing the dipstick and inserting a *clean* hose to siphon out some fluid...

zonie77
03-16-04, 12:19 AM
You ought to change the fluid if it's never been changed...It is not advisable to get a flush, just have the fluid changed.

joeveto
03-16-04, 01:13 AM
is there a drain plug on the trans?i want to take some fluid out and try some trans medic on it.where is it located?on this model.
If you pull the pan, installing a drain plug is no big deal (just make sure you take the time to braze the fitting on), and it makes future service a lot easier.

swimmster
03-16-04, 06:31 PM
Keep in mind, even after you install a drain plug, ALWAYS remove the trans pan to check for debris, etc.. Fact is, that's the ONLY reason there is no drain plug on transmission pans so that you have to inspect inside the pan. a majority of the debris you end up with inside a transmission usually clumps up and sticks tot he pan anyways so you'll never really see it if you change fluid just using the drain plug. there is also usually a magnet of some sort or shape in the pan.. DO NOT REMOVE this magnet. many people pull this magnet out for whatever reason or another. It's usually placed in a particular spot so that it can grab a maximum amount of metallic particles out of the fluid. there will ALWAYS be some sort of metallic film on it unless you've had a fresh rebuild and they cleaned everything correctly. Inspect this magnet when you remove the pan for metal particles larger than just "Dust". Also, your trans pan has a completely reusable pan gasket with anti-crush inserts in the bolt holes, so.. pulling the pan is just cheap insurance. I wish I had had the time though to install the drain plug in my pan when I changed the solenoids. :(

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 05:35 PM

Don't waste your money on "transmedic".......

If you want to do something try changing the fluid. There are several reasons for no drain plug on a trans. One, it is a leak source and the fluid rarely needs to be changed so the risk of a leak outweighs the convenience for a 100K drain. Two, you need to remove the pan anyway to clean it and change the filter/clean the pickup screens. Three, on a 4T80E, there is a hidden drain plug for the side cover oil that is accessible once the bottom pan is removed. You have to drain the side cover separately with the drain plug inside the bottom pan to change the fluid.

ThomasO
03-17-04, 09:07 PM
I have always changed the Automatic Transmission fluid at 20,000 miles the first time and every 30,000 miles after that......Tomhttp://www.aub.com/High_Sierra/autosales/caddevillesm.jpg