: 96 Cadillac ETC, Idle Problems

Nana600
01-28-07, 06:57 PM
Have a 96 ETC. It has been in 2 shops this month one being the cadillac dealership. The car will run away with you like the cruise control is on.when stopped at a light it will rev up like its going to blow up.Also wants to lunge forward on its own. Both places changed the same part the idle sensor. That works for about 20 miles then its right back to the same thing again. Knowing nothing about the northstar engine and being female I did unplug this wire from a round silver Cylinder and car runs fine as long as this thing is unpluged.

Ranger
01-28-07, 08:01 PM
Sounds like you are talking about the ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor. You said they replaced it? Have you pulled the codes? There may be a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) stored that will give us a clue.

Nana600
01-28-07, 10:07 PM
They hooked something to the computer in the car at both places. But it says the same thing everytime . Like today when it happened and I just got the car back saturday night. Service engine light comes on and message says service idle control, New idle sensor was put in at both places. Do you know if this could have any thing to do with catalistic converter or the throttle closed sensor in the servo motor. I just happened to read that on someone elses problem but it wasn't a eldorado. I got this car from my Mother it had been sitting up in a garage and only has 25000 miles.

Cad tech
01-28-07, 10:12 PM
This will have an idle air control motor, if you have had it replaced 2 times there has to be a circuit problem or pcm problem I would bring it back to Dealership and tell them they did not fix the problem and they have already charged you for a repair that did not fix original complaint and you expect it to be repaired at no cost to you.

Nana600
01-28-07, 10:22 PM
Will call dealership in the morning . I think they should to being they cherged me 312.00. But tell me what is the pcm.

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 10:35 PM
powertrain control module
basically the computer that runs the engine...

Cad tech
01-28-07, 10:37 PM
Cannot tell without seeing Invoice...see what the tech comments are and what they replaced..Remember if they dont fix the problem dont be scared to turn right around or call them.dont let it go on for a while...and if the service advisor is unresponsive ask for service manager or general manager....

Nana600
01-28-07, 10:51 PM
28466 Bad Throttle Position Sensor j6374+A 2.0 Found codes PO122,1122set. Checked and found erratic reading from TP Sensor. Checked TP Connector and terminals. Tested circuits to TP Sensor All Check ok. Replaced TP Sensor, Cleared Codes and road tested ,operating as designed. That is what the report says. They also did Engine Fuel Rail that was a recall on this auto.