: Winter Storage for snowed-in V's

JPatt
01-28-07, 09:32 AM
Hello all (new to the forum),

I'm a new V owner in Michigan (purchased a 2005 w/~13000 miles in October) and drove the car for about a month and put it in heated storage at my place of work for the snowy winter months.

From the 4 weeks that I drove the car, there was not a single complaint. I just can't wait for March when I can bring that baby back out for the summer. It's killing me inside not being able to drive it :rant2:

My question is regarding winter storage for the V's. Is there anyone else out there who has the self control to store this car for 4 months or am I the only crazy one? When I put the car away, here are the things that I did (let me know what everyone would add/delete from this list):

1. Topped off tank with premium + fuel stabilizer.
2. Placed car on distributed-support jack stands @ recommended support points and removed tires. (rotors are ~ 1 in off the ground).
3. Made sure car was at full operating temperature when I parked it, drained oil after sitting for ~30 mins, and changed oil w. fresh mobil 1. Ran car up to operating temp again (about 20 mins) to circulate fresh oil.
4. At the end of these 20 mins, removed intake hose @ throttle body while running and had friend take car to ~2000 rpm while spraying fogging oil through the intake (did this quick, as she was runnin w/o a filter).
5. Turned off car and put plastic bags + rubberbands over the throttle body intake and the exhaust outlets @ the flanges (I took off my stock system since my Magnas are goin on this spring :bouncy: ).
6. (obviously washed + waxed before it went away--i forgot that as step 1)
7. THinking about how to start in the spring. I know it's going to be a hard start with no lubrication for the first couple seconds. I've heard of people removing something so the car can turn over but not start (in order to circulate oil @ a lower rpm than when at idle). does anyone know something that can be disconnected (electrically) to make this happen? Also, I've heard of people removing the plugs and shootin a couple drops of oil into each hole to get some lube on the walls before cold starting.

Thats all, so if anyone has any tips or different tactics for storage, please post! Thanks

2004ctsv
01-28-07, 09:59 AM
Good grief - it's for the winter, not the millenium:p

The battery is under constant draw so think about a battery tender (trickle charge) for the four months it's sitting there.

I put mine away in my garage but normally have to move it every couple weeks to get to storge cabinets and such. I only fill tank, clean and wax, put cover on and plug in the battery tender.

My car sits until all the road salt is washed away.

T

JPatt
01-28-07, 10:21 AM
ohh yeah woops forgot about the battery bit...i took that out too and put it in my basement after a full charge.

BowenCT
01-28-07, 10:34 AM
I definitely would have left the battery in the car and just put a Battery Tender on it. It's good to keep that brain ticking.

A few of those steps may have been a bit of an over-kill, but it certainly won't hurt. Not sure why the wheels came off...? I put a couple Damp-Rid containers on the floor of the interior, should any moisture present itself. I also toss a couple boxes worth of moth balls on the floor under/around the car to keep the little critters at bay.

JPatt
01-28-07, 11:00 AM
"Not sure why the wheels came off...? "

Took the wheels off after reading somewhere (can't remember) that if you're going to put the car up in the air for storage, best to relieve the suspension components of that additional weight of tires and wheels. Also, read on the (good year?) site that it's best to store the tires inside a house for the winter (i don't recall why)

i'm prolly takin it too far, but i love my baby and don't wanna lose any compression or have any interior corrosion on that 5.7

rand49er
01-28-07, 12:01 PM
You forgot about a pillow ... V's like goose-down ones best. :histeric:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome to V ownership! Where are you located? Stay tuned to the forum here as a bunch of us are going to be getting together this spring at the CTS/CTS-V assembly plant in Lansing as well as other optional festivities (track and dyno stuff). Woody_MI will be the prime organizer.

Dennisscars
01-28-07, 12:30 PM
Damn dude, you planning to be under 100 feet of snow till June of 2020?

Find the fuel pump fuse and remove. Spin over till you get oil pressure. Unless you live literally on the beach no need to pull plugs. If your going to go to all this trouble you should spin over till you get oil pressure once a month anyway. One to oil everything and so that the same valve springs aren't compressed and leaving the combustion chamber open through the exhaust or intake the entire ice age.

Tires off for flat spots. Don't know that I'd let it hang perched like a cat held by the body. You'd also be surprised at how much moisture will come up through the concrete and rust the underneath and encroach into the calipers. At least here anyway.. I am under experienced in the ways of the frozen tundra. My Corvettes were terrible about internally rusting calipers until I went to DOT5. (Can't use DOT5 in anti lock systems)

Florian
01-28-07, 02:53 PM
jeez, talk about overkill...fogging oil, please. Only 3 things you need
1: Battery Tender
2. Stabil in tank
3. Cover for car. Thats it

3 is optional.

F

rand49er
01-28-07, 03:18 PM
jeez, talk about overkill...fogging oil, please. Only 3 things you need
1: Battery Tender
2. Stabil in tank
3. Cover for car. Thats it

3 is optional.

FF, you don't really love her. You're just using her for her "charms!" :lildevil:

Florian
01-28-07, 03:21 PM
F, you don't really love her. You're just using her for her "charms!" :lildevil:

She is a dirty mistress....I am using her, she loves every minute that my toe is into her....good girl.

F

Dennisscars
01-28-07, 03:27 PM
4. Pet it once in a while.
5. Sit in drivers seat and make motor sounds.. ooOOOnnd.. ooOOOnnd.. ooOOOnnd... (come on.. you know we all have done it..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gp-mKE389U

rand49er
01-28-07, 03:29 PM
Mine likes my "toe" best of all ... well, she also likes a little heel occasionally, too.

Oh, sorry for the thread jack ... kinda got carried away here. :D

CrashCadillac
01-28-07, 06:40 PM
I leave the wheels and tires on and over-inflate the tires by about 5 psi. It reduces flat spots and the air leaks out a little over the winter anyway.

I silicone all the seals and the sides of the tires - keeps things from drying out.

sy1172
01-28-07, 07:33 PM
Damn, that's a lot of prep. My Saleen gets washed, waxed and covered. I do start it every 2-3 weeks and let it run a bit but nothing more. I just don't see the need to put it up on stands. Too much work for too little benefit....but that's just me :)

rand49er
01-28-07, 08:36 PM
Damn, that's a lot of prep. My Saleen gets washed, waxed and covered. I do start it every 2-3 weeks and let it run a bit but nothing more. I just don't see the need to put it up on stands. Too much work for too little benefit....but that's just me :)By the leaves on the trees outside, I'd guess you start somewhere in early September or thereabouts?

j/k Mine is turning into a garage queen, too.

sy1172
01-29-07, 02:47 PM
It's under a cover all year round but get's uncovered almost weekly in the spring and summer. In the winter the roads are just too messy and the thing's as clean underneath as on top. Plus cold winter roads and drag radials just don't mix with 420+hp and 450+ ft.lbs of torque....car's too light. In the summer the thing will lay (two) hundred foot plus black marks (no brakes invloved) in second gear with 315's out back....crazy....but so fun!!!

The V's to regulated if you ask me!