: Harman Kardon Drive Play (Update: It sucks!)

Jesda
01-28-07, 09:19 AM
I won this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230084405146&rd=1&rd=1

http://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/87/97/7b4e_1.JPG

What do you guys think? Also, can the display be mounted with its back on a flat vertical surface or does it have to sit on top of the dash?

the727kid
01-28-07, 09:35 AM
Whats it do?

Jesda
01-29-07, 05:08 AM
It allows you to hide your iPod in the glove box (or wherever you run the interface cable) and control it using the remote knob. The display sits on top of your dash. You never have to look down.

I gave it a try at Best Buy and I was pretty impressed. The functionality is almost exactly like the iPod, except instead of a scroll wheel there's a click knob.

Unfortunately, the display was tightly glued down and covered so I couldn't see much about how it mounts.

Jesda
02-01-07, 09:57 PM
I just got it tonight and installed it, only to discover that the hissing was intolerable. I tried using a different 12v socket, disconnected my amp, but the hissing was still there.

I tried two different iPods and even tried installing it in my van with a directly connected 1/8" stereo miniplug. Same god-awful hissing.

I thought maybe it was defective, so I did some Googling and discovered that a lot of people experienced the same problem. This product is a joke. DO NOT BUY.

Its a shame, because its a nice idea and the interface is brilliant.

the727kid
02-01-07, 11:18 PM
Get a interface for you HU. Mine is perfect quality, and full control over the ipod on the HU and my ipod hides in my glovebox. Payed $50.

Jesda
02-01-07, 11:20 PM
I originally got one for Pioneer. The speed was laughably slow (changing songs, etc) and it didnt allow the use of shuffle mode. I returned it and got my fifty bucks back.

I'm going to end up getting a passive iPod charging cable for the Pioneer I-BUS.

the727kid
02-01-07, 11:43 PM
you probally had the first version, I ahd the second version and it was pretty quick.

Jesda
02-02-07, 02:25 AM
Model was CD-ib100II. And indeed, like you said, its for "gen1" head units. Not sure why Pioneer divvies it up this way, since my HU came out January 2007. Maybe to get people to pay more for the DEH-4900? Seems to be a problem on their DVD-Navigation head units too.

Anyway, my Drive+Play is for sale in the classifieds section. I think I listed it for $60.

I wanted to get an Alpine but I'm stuck with Circuit City's selection because of a gift card.

the727kid
02-02-07, 08:31 AM
That's real weird. I'm not sure if I had a shuffle feature with mine. But I did have the second gen on an old HU (AVH5700DVD) and SQ and speed was great. Good luck with your sale though.