: heating console won't work.. is my '07 messed up??

ecs177
01-28-07, 08:27 AM
again the heating console on my '07 escalade did not work at all yesterday when i went to start her up in freezing temperatures... like 10 degrees... this problem was supposedly fixed at the dealer when i was there recently.. i was told it was a 'software update' that needed to be installed which would fix this issue...

the issue on the sheet i was given which explained the problem said that in very cold temperatures the heating console may not work.. it went on to say that it is just a software issue with directions for the dealer regarding how to fix it..

anyway after this was supposedly fixed - yesterday after starting her up it did not work at all.. stopped the truck, started her again - nothing... tried the autostart - no heat blowing out when i got in the truck... the heat did not work at all.... bottom line - i was not able to take my baby out this weekend.. can't drive in like 10 degrees with no heat.. really annoyed about this..

is anyone else having this problem???????? any thoughts?????

thank you

LLT
01-28-07, 12:31 PM
There are a lot of computer modules and components on the new Escalade and quite simply, some techs haven't caught up. It doesn't make them bad, mind you, just set in their ways.

I've seen many, many instances where techs have hooked onto a car with their scan tool (Tech 2) without updating it in preparation for the latest applicable calibrations. It may be that you didn't actually get the update you thought you did.

That said, it's possible your hvac module is now in "lockup" mode. If the heat doesn't come on after it's warmed up a bit, you may need to do a reset. You can do this by pulling (and of course replacing) the "HVAC BATT" fuse - should will be in the fuse block located on the driver's side of the engine compartment - if memory serves. Then the dealer will need to re-apply/reprogram with the update again.

Good luck.

ecs177
01-28-07, 04:53 PM
gosh thanks for the advice.. they better fix it for good this time... if its not the update then what is wrong??? do i need a new heating console?? is anyone else having this issue????????:(

LLT
01-28-07, 08:09 PM
I've had a slew of issues with my current hvac actually -- from the control head to the actuators to the wiring harness. I think mine was/is more of an isolated issue though as I've had nothing but electrical issues... I think my vehicle fell off the transport truck and was struck by lightning. :D Thankfully it's being replaced.

I would have them ensure the proper calibration is applied first. If so, it could be the control head, it could be the module itself or a number of things. Does heat work on either side (driver's or passenger)?

hcvone
01-29-07, 06:56 AM
I was in the Pocono's and it was around 0 degrees, had no problems with the HVAC system. I hope they gets yours fixed.

ecs177
01-29-07, 02:57 PM
I've had a slew of issues with my current hvac actually -- from the control head to the actuators to the wiring harness. I think mine was/is more of an isolated issue though as I've had nothing but electrical issues... I think my vehicle fell off the transport truck and was struck by lightning. :D Thankfully it's being replaced.

I would have them ensure the proper calibration is applied first. If so, it could be the control head, it could be the module itself or a number of things. Does heat work on either side (driver's or passenger)?

no heat on either side.. nothing at all.. the entire console that controls the climate, heated seats, etc., does not even light up....

i should mention that our entire navigation system needed to be replaced because it was scratching the navigation disc and not working well.. so they replaced the entire nav system... screen, disc drives, cd changer, everything... this problem with the heat started the day i went to pick up the truck.... it was freezing cold at like 8 in the morning and the truck was outside after having been repaired with new nav system the day before.....started it up.. heating console completely blank.. they drove in into the garage and did this supposed software update and then it worked.. until this weekend... went to start in up in like 10 degrees in the morning.. once again - nothing.. i wonder if this is related to the nav system/console being replaced????

hcvone
01-29-07, 03:17 PM
It sounds like they missed putting something back on. :(

LLT
01-29-07, 06:48 PM
My control head (console) never went completely out. Everything except the temperature setting was still functional - albeit, useless. 60 degrees or 90 degrees, it was still ice-cold.

I swear I remember seeing a bulletin about the control head going completely out. I thought it was related to the hvac module lockup, but I can't seem to find the bulletin anymore.

Either way, definitely time for a trip back to the dealer!

Hope it works out. :)

ecs177
01-30-07, 08:18 AM
has anyone ever heard of disconnecting the battery to reset the computer??? my dealer told me to do that tomorrow and it might reset the heating console and make the thing work (so i don't have to drive the truck to the dealer in like 10 degrees with no heat)...

stupid freakin issue... don't have time for this right now..

thank you..

LLT
01-30-07, 09:46 AM
In the old days, that was fine. It's not recommended on a vehicle with over a dozen computer modules. I would try pulling and replacing the HVAC BATT fuse - that will reset the hvac module... if that doesn't work, I don't think disconnecting the battery would do anything useful. At a minimum, I'd have your dealer put that advice in writing so if you fry a computer module, it's on them.

ecs177
01-30-07, 11:14 AM
In the old days, that was fine. It's not recommended on a vehicle with over a dozen computer modules. I would try pulling and replacing the HVAC BATT fuse - that will reset the hvac module... if that doesn't work, I don't think disconnecting the battery would do anything useful. At a minimum, I'd have your dealer put that advice in writing so if you fry a computer module, it's on them.

thats good advice.. thank you... i was reluctant to do it anyway cause it sounds bad... don't want to mess with the fuses either.. i guess i will have to drive to hartford with no heat tomorrow morning..... that is assuming the heat does not work... stupid problem...... sick of these computer related problems - nav/ heating console..... sucks..