: Does everyone's Voice Recognition work or is it just me?

macklobell
01-27-07, 07:38 PM
My 06 STS 1SG V8 has been in service for over 3 weeks now...I had the entire navigation/radio changed. Three pinion seals replaced and a flange. The heater had a problem with an actuator since it was blowing cold air in the dual zones. The dealer told cadillac executive offices that the car was fixed so they decided to only offer a couple of payments for my trouble :thepan: However, I got the car today and the voice recognition doesn't work, the heated steering wheel now doesn't operate, and I can't get my phone to pair with the new radio/navigation system...I would just like to know if the Voice Recognition is just a flawed :alchi:gadget in this car that just doesn't work...I gave it nearly 100 voice commands and kept hearing "I didn't get that".....This is so frustrating....Does everyone think this is grounds for a lemon law... Also, when is Cadillac going to fix the bluetooth echo problem...Thanks in advance.

NC STS-V
01-27-07, 10:42 PM
I've only had my car for a week, but so far I've found the voice commands to be just about useless. I do use it to dial when my phone manages to pair with the system (about 75% of the time). I usually have to repeat the command at least once, but that's still safer trying to manually dial the number on my phone (my phone doesn't support voice dial). I only have a few numbers that I frequently call so the voicetag limit isn't a problem, but I can see how it might be for others...

macklobell
01-28-07, 08:43 AM
Try to give it navigational commands....It doesn't work..:tisk:

bigdog9586
01-28-07, 10:06 AM
voice commands are a long way off from being useful. There are so many accents people talk with not even counting people from other countries to make voice commands worth something. Also I feel that the mic should have been put in the drivers visor or in the headliner just above him instead of 3 feet away in the rearview mirror. If you have the defroster on or sunroof open it is useless too. If I tell it to put down all the windows I have about a 33% chance of it figuring out what I said. Yes I agree, it is worthless and I can manually put all the windows down 3 times as fast even if the voice command works as advertised.

ascariSTS
01-28-07, 10:16 AM
That's what I said from the beginning, mic should've been closer to the driver... I noticed that when i come closer to the mic, it responds quicker...

I dont think that "windows down" "windows up" voice commands are made to be used... they are just made to show off : P .... I use it when people say that STS doesn't have enough features, and they change their mind after they see it : P ... I think it's mainly used by salesmen to convince people to buy it ....

macklobell
01-28-07, 11:02 AM
What about the navigation? Don't you feel cheated that you bought a $65K car and can't give it NAV commands while traveling since the entire system is crippled after 5mph and over? This is the purpose of having the voice commands...Is anyone's nav commands working (Navigation I'm Hungry, Navigation Fast Food, Navigation Hotel, etc, etc) I repeated these commands nearly 100 times yesterday and the system couldn't recognize it...Also, the Bluetooth echo is still an issue and Cadillac has no resolution...I believe that the voice recognition and the bluetooth are grounds enough for a repurchase. Don't you agree?:thepan:

ascariSTS
01-28-07, 04:53 PM
What about the navigation? Don't you feel cheated that you bought a $65K car and can't give it NAV commands while traveling since the entire system is crippled after 5mph and over? This is the purpose of having the voice commands...Is anyone's nav commands working (Navigation I'm Hungry, Navigation Fast Food, Navigation Hotel, etc, etc) I repeated these commands nearly 100 times yesterday and the system couldn't recognize it...Also, the Bluetooth echo is still an issue and Cadillac has no resolution...I believe that the voice recognition and the bluetooth are grounds enough for a repurchase. Don't you agree?:thepan:

Are we talking here about a problem with GM or Denso ? ... or both ?

ARTSBEST
01-28-07, 05:42 PM
Good luck on the repurchase. It takes an act of God to seal that deal. Believe me, I've been through it.

macklobell
01-28-07, 08:11 PM
What was the problem with your car Artsbest? Did you file a lemon law? My car has been in the garage for over 3 weeks....I don't think anyone has ever had these many problems...Did you end up with another STS or did you choose a different brand...?

ARTSBEST
01-29-07, 09:05 AM
It would take me a week to dictate all that happened but basically the car would NOT start. Numerous ignition systems installed (4 to be exact). Two times the key wouldn't release from the ignition slot. All 4 times the engine would turn over but not fire. ALL 4 times the car was towed in. And getting towed takes hours upon hours. You better not be in a bad area or in rotten weather if this occurs. I must say the dealership jumped through hoops and told me "off the record" the car had a "genetic" flaw. Attempted to get rid of the car via our lemon law here in Illinois to NO avail. GM contested the car was OVER a year old when the problem occurred. The first two ignition problems did in fact occur within the first year the other two in the second year. The rep from Cadillac conceded the car was defective and NOT reliable. HOWEVER (speaking purely NOT as a morally abiding person but as a company man) told me I was going nowhere with my complaint. I'm 6 '4" about 240 pounds and played division 1 football at Notre Dame years ago as a linebacker. My point is I can "get with it" still if I have to and was about to with this arrogant little nerd but what's that going to prove? NOTHING. I am a good, fair person and playing hardball is not going to prove anything. But he was w/o a doubt, an ******* times 3. He had another person with him both times I had a discussion with him fact-to-face. He knew what he was doing and that it was wrong. He was IMHO a sorry excuse for a man. The car had been towed all 4 times. And spent days in the shop. Each time I was given a loner car that I wouldn't let me dog drive. They were JUNKS to say the least. The rep at the dealership was a good guy but the rest of the GM staff were total "company people" *******S. My lawyer said the one year excuse was what saved GM. "It" did NOT happen (3 times) in the first year. The car is still here and hasn't displayed any more ignition problems I must say. But that first year was pathetic and GM didn't stand behind it. The dealership tried to however. And NO I'm not a cry baby nor did I attempt in any way to squeeze GM for something (a new car) that I did NOT deserve. The car was NOT reliable. But three months in the shop for you is outrageous sir. But the specifics within your state lemon law is what will decide your cars fate. GOOD LUCK and try to stay "above the law" with these people but believe me they will do everything to preclude an admission of guilt about your Cadillac. I'm sure these reps have been lied to many times regarding people trying to scam them into another car. And I'm sure it's not a glorious job listening to people who are a little PO'd because their $50K car is not reliable but do NOT lose your cool. Be above that mind set. At least YOU can be classy about it all for there will be others at GM who'll NOT act in the same manner. Believe me. I know because I lived it for 18 months. And sorry for the hard ass talk but this whole scene will make your blood boil which I'm sure you know all to well by now.

jgrade
01-29-07, 09:54 AM
macklobell, is the VC saying "I did not get that", or "pardon". As far as I can tell the NEW units say "pardon" when it does not understand you. It sound like you may have a refurbished unit (not uncommon) but may explain why the other functions are not working. Yes, BT sucks; if you can pair the phone, it will probably not mute with an incoming call or have a terrible echo. Gm will only stand behind 3 out of date discontinued phones when it comes to BT and this head.

With that said, I have had some success with VC as long as I don't expect too much. I have found that the front defroster causes problems with recognition. VC dialing works 98% of the time for me, but other commands like "CD disc 6" usually translate to something like "fan high".

kmacdc
01-29-07, 08:41 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I've had my 07' sts for about a month and my voice command works great. It misses somes commands but for the most part it catches all that I say.

Caroutisine
01-29-07, 09:22 PM
My 2005's voice recognition does not work very well either.

ssstealth
01-30-07, 09:14 PM
My 2006 has very good VR capabilities. The only thing that seems to mess it up is when everyone else in the car keeps talking at the same time. It can be very tricky to get everyone to shutup right at the moment that the little "dong" ends and the system is listening for you.

I have found that the 3 word commands when available work better that the 2 word commands... For example I always use "Navigation - Go Home" instead of "Navigation - Home" and this produces much better results.

Check the Help Screen and the manual for other examples of this. Also, don't speak your command until after the "dong" sound when you push the button.

Jesda
01-31-07, 06:33 AM
I've never been in a car where the VR was any good. I speak perfect diction English.

graphicguy
01-31-07, 10:08 AM
Yes....you can! I just did it (repurchase). The final nail in the coffin was when my rear window imploded after using the rear window defogger. I had used the remote start to start the car. Car started....it automatically turned on the rear window defogger and the rear window imploded all over the inside of the car.

That issue, along with non-functional VR, non-functional 5.1 surround system (with DVD-A disks), non-finctional bluetooth....all of it went to BBB who arbitrated a repurchase.

Cadillac will fight you. They'll act all indignant. They'll try to blame you for their STS woes. But, if you stick to your guns and file with the BBB (as mentioned in the owner's manual), you will make GM buy back your car under the Lemon Law.

graphicguy
01-31-07, 10:10 AM
I've never been in a car where the VR was any good. I speak perfect diction English.

I also have an Acura TL with Nav. VR works perfectly....as does Bluetooth....as does the surround sound system.

macklobell
01-31-07, 09:37 PM
Graphicguy----my car is still in the garage due to the VR...What type of problem did you experience with the surround sound? Also, did you also have a large knocking noise when you were parking and turning the wheel to the extreme left and right? I have been hearing a lot of windnoise in my passenger rear side also...I hope this isn't an indication of the rear window shattering...Thanks for all your input...BTW, my bluetooth doesn't work either. GM's reply was sorry---we don't have a fix for this yet...No way, not for $66K....Not acceptible. :thepan:

Jesda
02-01-07, 12:01 AM
I also have an Acura TL with Nav. VR works perfectly....as does Bluetooth....as does the surround sound system.

I tried it at the auto show. The TL, along with the 2006 Q45 was completely useless at VR.

Jag S-type was probably the worst.

graphicguy
02-01-07, 09:52 AM
Graphicguy----my car is still in the garage due to the VR...What type of problem did you experience with the surround sound? Also, did you also have a large knocking noise when you were parking and turning the wheel to the extreme left and right? I have been hearing a lot of windnoise in my passenger rear side also...I hope this isn't an indication of the rear window shattering...Thanks for all your input...BTW, my bluetooth doesn't work either. GM's reply was sorry---we don't have a fix for this yet...No way, not for $66K....Not acceptible. :thepan:
Mack....good luck with the VR issue. I had mine to 3 different dealers. None of them could get it to work. Not one command was recognized, whether me or the service people spoke slow, spoke fast, spoke loud, spoke normal....none of them worked....no matter what command was spoken.

I tried 4 different blue tooth phones, from different manufacturers...none of them worked. Matter of fact, the Cadillac zone manager gave me 3 different models of bluetooth phones HE THOUGHT would work (he really wasn't sure). None of them were current models. I believe that all of them were discontinued models.

DVD-A and DTS disks would not play in 5.1 surround sound (they would play in centrpoint mode, but not true 5.1, as Cadillac said they should). I followed all of the instructions in the owners manual to the letter. Still couldn't get any of them to work. We actually did get a DVD Video disk to work in 5.1 surround, but no 5.1 audio disks.

As mentioned, the final straw was when the rear window imploded in my STS, spewing glass all over the inside of the car. The car has had some sporadic electrical gremlins which caused the battery to die, but as these things go, the dealer could never reproduce the issue. I believe that there were some sort of electrical surges, which in turn, caused a lot of current to hit the rear window defroster to overheat the elements, causing the rear window to imploded. Don't know if it's true of all STSs, or just my car. That said, I didn't have any indication (wind noise, steering noises, etc) that it would implode. I was just driving along and all of a sudden I heard a "POW", and glass was thrown all over me and the inside of the car.

Before the rear window explosion, I had already filed with the BBB because of the, electrical issues, non-functional VR, non-functional surround sound and non-functional bluetooth issues.

The Cadillac zone manager tried to "strong arm" me to sign an agreement stating they would take the car back, but I would not be reimbursed for all of my lease payments and the lease fees. I rejected that agreement. BBB got involved and got me all of my payments back, as well as all fees involved in the lease. The BBB decision is final, though (as stated in the Cadillac manual). The zone manager is still trying to change the terms of the agreement, but the local Cadillac dealership has the car and I'm getting ready to sign the buyback agreement that I have from the BBB.

As far as other VR/Nav/surround systems, I can only report on what I know. After spending about 15 minutes to get all of my settings done, my Acura TL has paired with 4 different bluetooth phones and has worked flawlessly. Also, once I spent 5 minutes with the NAV manual, becomeing familiar with which voice commands did what, it recognizes my voice commands 99.9% of the time (I do have to repeat a command every once in a great while, but they work). I plug in a DVD-A disk, and it plays in 5.1 surround mode, with no hiccups,..no gyrations to reset anything, whatsoever.

Stick to your guns, Mack. Cadillac, and their so called customer service is a travesty.

BTW....I work for a company that makes bluetooth and surround sound devices. There are standards out there that insure compatibility and functionality. Cadillac (and probably all of GM and their suppliers) adhere to none of them.

Aurora5000
02-01-07, 11:49 AM
Mine has never worked.:bigroll:

macklobell
02-01-07, 05:06 PM
Graphic Guy thanks for your reply...What symptoms occur when you play a surround sound DVD? Do you have to select sorround sound before playing? Also, my dealerhip told me today that they had to switch the voice from the female to male and that made a little improvement but it is not working well. They indicated that they have a new NAV disk that should improve it a little more but indicated that GM said that I will have to live with it since that is the way the system was designed. I say "how can they design something that doesn't work" and charge us a premium to buy it....This is plain wrong...

graphicguy
02-02-07, 10:54 AM
Mack....you'll get no argument from me. Matter of fact, you're going through the same deny and delay tactics I went through with Cadillac.

DVD-A disks (and their DTS counterparts) have different layers on them. One usually plays in 2-channel mode, the other layers have 5.1 surround, and maybe another layer has pictures or videos on them.

The Surround sound system in the STS defaults to the 2-channel layer. You are supposed to physically be able to switch layers (only while parked) to get to the 5.1 layer. You push the "search" key on the video screen, and puch in the number 2 or maybe even the number 3 to get to the 5.1 layer. When I did this, one of two things would occur. The first, the system still defaulted to the 2-channel layer. This would bring up SIMULATED surround (not true 5.1 surround) where you could play the disk in "centerpoint" mode. The 2nd thing that sometimes happened, would be the disk would not play at all when bringing up the different layers on the disk.

DVD movie disks only usually have two audio layers (some have more) ...one layer for 2-channel sound, the other for 5.1 surround sound. I was able to find a couple of DVD video disks to work in 5.1 surround sound (after finding/choosing the right audio layer), but that has nothing to do with DVD-A, nor DTS audio disks (which could have several layers).

IF you look in the manual (and on the audio unit itself) it clearly states that DVD-A and DTS disks are supposed to play in true 5.1 surround sound. Centerpoint isn't 5.1, but is just the system separating 2-channel sound, with some processing (DSP) over all of the speakers. It's a big sound differnece between the two, believe me.

I've got probably $300-$400 worth of DVD-A and DTS 5.1 audio disks. None of them would play in 5.1 surround (just simulated 2-channel centerpoint).

All 3 dealerships I went to tried the same thing....changing from the female voice to the male voice. That has nothing to do with the VR. A new NAV disk may or may not improve the VR. I wouldn't count on it though. As I mentioned, I work in the industry that makes accessories for bluetooth and 5.1 surround sound. Speech recognition is part of what we have to work on to get bluetooth units to work with other bluetooth devices. That takes some powerful chips to process VR. Cadillac "cheaped out" on the chips. The ones GM uses just aren't powerful enough to process VR. It would take a hardware change (and probably a recall) to get the system to work.

Even VR chips in cell phones are more powerful than what Cadillac uses (think of the VR a phone does when you say "call home", and the phone recognizes the command, and then dials the number).

To comply with current audio 5.1 surround sound and bluetooth standards, these chips have to be included. GM went the easy (and cheap) way out and ignored the standards so they could save a few dollars and use cheaper chips. My guess is they also "cheaped out" on the sofware involved. So, a simple software upgrade (like a new NAV disk) isn't going to do the trick.

graphicguy
02-02-07, 11:13 AM
Just as an FYI....part of my agreement for the buyback of my STS was that I'd buy another GM vehicle. I did. An '07 Tahoe. The NAV unit in the Tahoe is substantially different than what is in the STS (and the units in "previous generation GM Nav units). The VR in the Tahoe's NAV works very well. I think this is the same NAV unit they are using in the '07 Escalade, SRX, Yukon.

Curiously, none of these new Nav units include bluetooth capability in my Tahoe, nor the Escalade....I'm not certain about the Yukon, nor the SRX, though.

Maybe GM decided they don't know how to do bluetooth and dropped it from their new units' feature list entirely.

As far as 5.1 surround playback, I never tested that feature in the revised sound systems for '07. I think the Escalade and the SRX are the only models with the new head units capable of 5.1. Yukon only offers "centerpoint" (which sounds worse than regular 2-channel stereo). I wonder if any of the folks who have bought an '07 Escalade or SRX would be willing to comment?

macklobell
02-04-07, 04:18 PM
Graphicguy....Who produces the best voice recognition/bluetooth combo in a vehicle? Lexus, Acura, BMW, or Mercedes....Are you familiar with the Lexus VR/Bluetooth? Thanks in advance.

graphicguy
02-05-07, 04:58 PM
Mack....I can only comment on the ones I've tried. In my Acura, the VR and bluetooth works great. I can also program in an address on the touch screen without the car being park (like when stopped at a red light, for example).

A neighbor has a Nav in his Lexus ('06 IS 350). It's not as good or as easy as the one in my Acura, but still worlds better than the one in the STS. I know the VR works well in the Lexus, though.

I read a recent report that Ford has the most intuitive NAV systems, but have never tried one.

I find MB's controls confusing, in general. Don't know if that's reflected in their NAV systems or not, however.

Right now, based on my experiences, I'd rate tha Acura top notch (may be true of all Honda NAV systems).

The NAV in my '07 Tahoe is much better than the one in the STS.....at least from a VR perspective. The Acura's is still better than that one, though.

Hope that helps.

macklobell
02-05-07, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the information graphicguy....I also wonder why Honda doesn't offer bluetooth....That was always a puzzle to me. BTW, my car is still in service awaiting the so called new nav disk that is supposed to make a world of difference...Yeah right...:banghead:

Onalaska
02-05-07, 09:06 PM
Makes you wonder what went wrong between Cadillac and Denso when Cadillac selected Denso as their Nav/VR/Bluetooth/Radio supplier for the STS. Are all Nippon Denso's Nav products inferior?, Did Cadillac purchase the bottom of the line unit from Denso? If so, why would Denso make something that didn't work and put their name on it? They are a large company and probably respected in other market segments. Does Cadillac have no recourse with a supplier like Denso? Why can't they have them make it work as advertised? It sounds like Cadillac doesn't have a solution and appears they were sold an inferior product with no ability to have their supplier make it right. I'll bet the Nav in the SUVs is from a different supplier.

GM or Delco is not building these units and are outsourcing like many other auto manufacturers. It's not a matter of GM knowing how to do Bluetooth, NAV, etc., it's their supplier that seems to be the problem.

I just had my Nav/VR/Bluetooth/Radio unit replaced because the radio would not work when the car was cold. I noticed that the software in the new unit is slightly different, but the VR works about the same. I notice it responds to my wife's voice better than mine, but it does work on most common commands. I have nothing else to compare it to as this is the first car we have owned with VR and Bluetooth. Bluetooth works with our E815 phones and we both use it regularly so I guess we are lucky to have selected that specific model and are happy with it.

graphicguy
02-05-07, 11:09 PM
Mack...from what I understand, Cadillac sources from Denso, but stipulates which version they source. Just talking to Cadillac's (alleged) NAV/bluetooth engineering, this unit was developed well before the current STS came to market. So, my educated guess is the STS NAV was developed a year, maybe two years, before it made its way into the first model year of the STS ('05). That means they were using technology that was already a year or two old before it first made it in a procuction car.

Standards changed in the interim (which Cadillac didn't adhere to in the first place). I believe that Cadillac went with the minimum requirements to run the Denso unit (kind of like buying a Windows XP computer running with 256 MB memory, when we all know that at least 512 MB as the minimum amount of memory to run XP well). Plus, I think Cadillace sourced the Denso unit with cheaper chips (as opposed to those chips that were more expensive, but runs the unit better).

Cadillac never upgraded the chips to fix the issues. Nor, have they upgraded the unit to fix the isuues for current customers.

In short, the units don't work right, now. They won't work as Cadillac purported they should work until Cadillac upgrades them, and they won't admit any fault.

We, the customers, have paid for technology that doesn't work as planned. Yet. Cadillac plays the deny, delay game.

This is inexcuseable for any car, let alone, one that costs $40K-$50K.

I don't know what all of Honda implements regarding bluetooth. I do know they implement bluetooth well in the Acura models.

macklobell
02-07-07, 06:56 AM
Graphicguy,

I tried putting a digital dolby movie in my car last night and it definately didn't sound like 5.1 surround sound even the the digital dolby symbol was displayed. When I hit music setting normal and multichannel were selected and I was unable to make further selections. I tried to hit the search button along with the number 2 or 3 and the sound was the same. How did you prove to the dealer that the 5.1 surround sound wasn't working since the settings don't indicate that it isn't. Does Centerpoint have to be working in order to prove this? Thanks in advance.

graphicguy
02-07-07, 10:11 AM
Graphicguy,

I tried putting a digital dolby movie in my car last night and it definately didn't sound like 5.1 surround sound even the the digital dolby symbol was displayed. When I hit music setting normal and multichannel were selected and I was unable to make further selections. I tried to hit the search button along with the number 2 or 3 and the sound was the same. How did you prove to the dealer that the 5.1 surround sound wasn't working since the settings don't indicate that it isn't. Does Centerpoint have to be working in order to prove this? Thanks in advance.

Mack....if the dolby digital icon is present (upper right of the screen) and the multichannel button is operable (not greyed out) then the video is playing in 5.1 discrete surround.

As mentioned before, I did find a couple of 5.1 movies that would work (not whille driving). It's the DVD-Audio and DTS audio disks that won't work.

macklobell
02-07-07, 11:08 AM
The multichannel is blacked out and the only thing that isn't blacked out is Normal...Is this what you saw when you played a 5.1 Dolby movie? However, the icon appears on my screen but definately doesn't sound like 5.1...Thanks.

me_dimitri
02-27-07, 05:21 PM
'07 STS-V one month old...

Just got around to getting some DVD-A's to check out the surround after reading this thread...

(1)
my Voice Rec Software is brutal. My dealer says that they will have some sort of a Hardware Upgrade for me in about a month, (probably firmware/software). For now I would say it is about 40% accurate. For some reason the navigation commands seem to work much better than the radio, bluetooth etc. Example: "Navigation Zoom in" or "Navigation Italian restaurants" work about 90%.

(2)
My Blackberry 8XXX pairs with the system 100% of the time... If I could just use the touch screen to select from the address book while moving, I'd be very happy. Even better, let me use the address book on the Blackberry through the Nav touch screen.

3)
Out of 3 DVD-A's:
-Buena Vista Social club, (Stereo or Simulated Surround only)
-Blue Oyster Cult, (Didn't work at all, maybe a bad disk, have to check at
home)
-Tom Cochrane and Red Ryder, (Stereo, Dolby Dig and Dts, full Surround and it sounded brilliant!)
After hearing the Dolby and DTS in Surround in the car, I want all my music like that! The Centerpoint on XM or Cd's sounds horrible by comparison.

Dimitri
T.O.

macklobell
02-27-07, 08:15 PM
Don't count on the software upgrade helping...It's totally disgusting that we are spending all this money to have the most important features non operable...I bought my car for the NAV, bluetooth, and Voice Recognition...Isn't this considered false advertising? My dealer installed the software upgrade that become available in January 07 and it is even worse.....The Voice Recogntion doesn't work and the Dolby doesn't work either...The funny thing is that the dealer was able to play an dvd-audio in surround sound in an 07 escalade but forget about it working in the STS. This may be the reason that the new escalade doesn't have bluetooth since that is a joke also...The recipients on the other end of my calls say that the sound is so bad they just want to hang up...My car has been in service for over 30 days for various problems including pinion seals, heating problems, nav lockups, voice recognition, bluetooth, etc....I'm not putting up with this anymore...I am filling a complaint with the Attorney General....:bigroll:

macklobell
02-27-07, 08:19 PM
My service notes have also been updated to indicate that the VR, Bluetooth, and Dolby don't work even after the software upgrade....GM's Master Tech's response is "That's how it was designed to work..." Let's see what an Arbitrator will have to say about that..

BarryH_GEG
02-28-07, 01:44 AM
I picked up an August '06 build 2007 STS-V last week. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems with VR, Bluetooth, or DVD-A.

I have a VZW Samsung i730 running WM5 and the phone pairs/unpairs instantly with the car every time I get in or out. It was a b***h getting the car to recognize the phone at first and I kept getting "connection failed" errors. About the fifth try it worked. The car mutes the audio on incoming calls and I can dial calls from the handset using MS Voice Command and the call is transferred to the car as soon as the connection is made. I have 1K contacts so using voice dialing from the handset and having the car pick-up the call is a pretty good hybrid solution for my calling needs. The car also picks up the caller ID info from the handset and displays it on the Navi screen when I'm receiving an incoming call. In fairness to Cadillac, I've paired almost a dozen different Bluetooth devices ranging from headsets to portable GPS systems and each one was a train wreck and each vendor's tech support always blamed the other device when there were pairing issues.

I'd say I'm getting about a 80-90% success rate using VR which is about the best you can get with current technology. I was driving a Lexus LS460 for about a week and it's Denso VR didn't seem any better or worse than the one in the STS. In fact, other than the menu structure which was customized by/for Lexus, their latest and greatest Navi isn't that much different than what's in the STS. I have a friend with an Acura RL and his VR is actually a bit worse than mine and not as good as what I experienced in the Lexus.

I tried one DVD-A disk, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and it was immediately recognized as 5.1.

So either I'm incredibly lucky (again, knock on wood) or Cadillac's made some mid-model run changes that addressed what appears to be issues with earlier builds.

Also, remote start activates both the front and rear defrosters and seat heaters (with the temp about 32 degrees) no matter what the settings were when the car was turned off.

I traded a '05 SRX V8 AWD for the STS-V and the Navi/VR in the SRX seems ancient compared to the systems in the STS. Hard to believe Cadillac's still using that same system in the '07 XLR.

BarryH_GEG
02-28-07, 01:46 AM
Duplicate...

jlmartin99
02-28-07, 06:28 PM
Greetings macklobell,

Sorry to here you having troubles, but stick to your guns. I use VR all the time very few problems and the Bluetooth, surround sound audio, Nav, Onstar all works perfectly fine. I have had several software upgrades according to my dealership and when I got my STS back the voice was male versus female and I called my dealership and we reconfigured over the phone.

I would not have another car without these features.

JLM

Heavy_Metal
02-28-07, 06:42 PM
Hey JLM:

When did your BT and VR start working? I have had all known upgrades except for the one released last month. I really like my 2005 STS but the BT and VR are junk. I will not use the VR at all and I got the digital onstar phone upgrade so my friends do not have to hear that awful outgoing sound quality of the STS BT.

macklobell
02-28-07, 06:52 PM
JL Martin:

What STS do you own? What year? This is your first post?

jlmartin99
02-28-07, 07:33 PM
JL Martin:

What STS do you own? What year? This is your first post?

macklobell,

I have a STS V8 2005. It has been an absolutely superb sedan. The other Cadillac is a 2005 XLR and it has been wonderful as well.

JLM

jlmartin99
02-28-07, 07:47 PM
Greetings Heavy Metal,

I started using VR day one and complained to my dealership that the commands worked about 50% of the time and a software upgrade later it has working very well after that. I use Nav, CD, Radio XM, phone (OnStar) and Fan speed the most.

JLM

WillySTS
03-03-07, 02:36 AM
My 2007 STS-V Nav, VR and Surrond all work great, relitivly speaking.... I took the upgrade because I had some problems with the VR sometimes and it didn't seem to change, but works most of the time...which is about as well as any other that I have experienced...no worse. I'm not a believer in VR, haven't seen one that works 100%.

Everything else, including Blue tooth, is great, on both my phone an the wifes(both of us have Razors).

thiamgo
03-03-07, 11:54 AM
I have a daughter in law who is a native Cantonese speaker. The system reacts pretty well to her heavy accented English. So the solution is to learn Cantonese first.:) (Japanese will probably work as well)
All those Denso systems are total crap. Be it in the Cadillac, Lexus or wherever else.
I found my own solution for my navigation needs. I just stick my $400 PDA with OnCourse Navigator (German) software on my windshield. No lock out while driving. Better maps too. And soooooo much more intuitive.

jlmartin99
03-04-07, 08:43 AM
Hey JLM:

When did your BT and VR start working? I have had all known upgrades except for the one released last month. I really like my 2005 STS but the BT and VR are junk. I will not use the VR at all and I got the digital onstar phone upgrade so my friends do not have to hear that awful outgoing sound quality of the STS BT.

Greetings Heavy_Metal,

Sorry, I did not see your message earlier. I use both OnStar and BT with a Motorola Razar on Cingular network and my wife has the same phone and I paired both phones just fine. They work wonderfully except when the reception is weak. I use the OnStar phone most of the time, the connection seems to be the best.

VR works fine for me, however when I first purchased my car I went through all the commands to see how well they worked with the car in park. Some commands did not work as well at the beginning but I adjusted my speech pattern to become very consistant and for the most part all work very well.

Second I went driving in town and on the highway and then in town with the sun roof open and then on the highway with the sun roof open. The best results were in town with the sunroof closed then highway with the sunroof closed.
On the highway with the sunroof open, most commands did not work, simply to much background noises and wrong commands recognized.

Going through all the commands took about 30 to 45 minutes and getting my speech patter correct took about 5 to 10 minutes. I have worked with early VR systems on my PC and found speech patterns can make a difference in how well these systems work for you.

I hope this helps and the best to you.

JLM

jvette
03-04-07, 07:09 PM
I just purchased my wife a Acura TL with Navigation and I have to say it works perfect 100% of the time. They have a great Navigation system. This is a smaller less expensive car than mine and I have to say it seems to be better though out. My STS Navigation system works correctly about 40% of the time but it was one of those that was free (or so called free) when the promotion was going on. I really don't use it that much but it would be nice to be able to pair my phone to my car like it does to my wifes Acura. Then they wonder why American cars are falling behind in sales.

graphicguy
03-07-07, 10:27 AM
jvette....I've got an '05 Acura TL. Even being two model years old, it works immensely better than the one in the '06 STS. The TL plays DVD-A disks with no fuss, no muss. BT hooks up with voice dialing (by name or by number) first time, every time.

VR is worlds better, too. I would say it recognizes my commands 95%+ of the time.

All in all, the STS feels ancient in its inabilities and non-funtion compared to the TL's Nav capabilities.

Comparatively, the STS's NAV, bluetooth, 5.1 surround system made me want to take a crow bar to it.