: Spring conversion.

Hammondsix
01-26-07, 12:37 PM
I have just discovered that my ALC sensor is bad and my compressor is not looking pretty either. I was thinking of converting the car to regular coils. What coils do you recommend? I have been looking at the caprice wagon/rmw/olds springs because they weigh about the same as the fleetwood. Are they compatible with the mounts on the fleetwood? I want a ride as close to stock as possible.

Thank you

90Brougham350
01-26-07, 12:57 PM
Go for it! My air shock and springs were originals until this spring. I had the mechanic give me heavy-duty towing springs and I put Bilstein shocks all around. The air shocks are great if they work right and you want original, but to me, upgrading was the better choice. The springs you're looking at should be perfectly compatable.

caddycruiser
01-26-07, 03:10 PM
As Elias recently recommended, stock Caprice 9C1 (cop car) rear springs are a great way to get the proper height without levelers and have a great ride. Even better, you can get them at Autozone (they're classified as the Heavy Duty spring for a Caprice of the proper year).

Then with these, you can just add whatever shocks and you're good. The stock springs just aren't strong enough to hold the car up correctly without the air shock help, but the 9C1's are and allow you to get rid of those.

Hammondsix
01-26-07, 03:57 PM
So what would be better? 9c1 springs OR wagon springs. The wagon weigh 5 pounds less than the fleetwood so it seems they would fit.

Thanks

BCs71
01-26-07, 05:17 PM
SOme wagons have air level ride also, so if ordering from a place like AUtozone where they don't know their butts from a hole in the ground (pardon the expression) you may be better off getting 9C1 springs.

But if you order from a dealer you may be able to get specific info about each spring and then make up your mind which is best.

Oh, by the way, the Caprice/RM/wagon are all B-bodies and built on the same frame as the Fleetwood. The FW is actually a stretched version of the B-body frame. SO the springs are direct swaps since the B/D body are virtually identical vehicles.

caddycruiser
01-26-07, 08:32 PM
Like said, a lot of wagons also had auto leveling, so a lot of them also had springs that aren't much better than the Fleetwoods. Stick with the 9C1 springs, and that's your best bet--either from GM, or like Elias just got them at Autozone ('94-96 Chevy Caprice, and they're the Heavy Duty ones).

Those cars didn't have auto level (for obvious reasons), and all parts were meant to take a beating, so that's my recommendation, especially with the feedback from people who've used them.

Hammondsix
01-26-07, 09:07 PM
thanks everyone!