: Warped stock rotor to new cross drilled

rlj5
01-26-07, 11:38 AM
Have a warped stock rotor, So I took it in to the dealership for a brake job.
Turns out they say the rotors are to thin to turn & I need new ones. The problem is they don't have them in stock & were going to order them for me.
They are like $140.00 each, So I said no-way , If I have to have all new rotors & have to wait for them Then I will order cross-drilled rotors from James @ Lindsay, So for only about $9.00 more each I'm getting the cross-drilled & of course had to get the Hawk pads with them.
Not going be a cheap brake job , But at least I getting some mods out of it without costing hardly anything extra.

The Tony Show
01-26-07, 11:44 AM
Sweet! Make sure that they put the anti-squeal gel on the back of the pads before they install them. Don't use the liquid that goes on the friction surface.

My stock brakes squealed like a banshee at low speeds, and this stuff made all the difference in the world- quiet as a mouse now.

ssmith100
01-26-07, 11:47 AM
When you get the new GM cross-drilled rotors in make sure you paint the hats with VHT high temp paint and they will not rust like the factory rotors. I installed the cross-drilled's about a year and a half ago and painted the hats and the fins and mine still look brand new. If I'm not mistaken James can have them painted before he ships them to you. My 2 cents.

Shane

trukk
01-26-07, 01:53 PM
Have a warped stock rotor, So I took it in to the dealership for a brake job.
Turns out they say the rotors are to thin to turn & I need new ones. The problem is they don't have them in stock & were going to order them for me.
They are like $140.00 each, So I said no-way , If I have to have all new rotors & have to wait for them Then I will order cross-drilled rotors from James @ Lindsay, So for only about $9.00 more each I'm getting the cross-drilled & of course had to get the Hawk pads with them.
Not going be a cheap brake job , But at least I getting some mods out of it without costing hardly anything extra.

Same exact situation here, except I took my car to Lindsay, so James didn't have to ship them to me :D

-Chris

rlj5
01-26-07, 02:32 PM
Wish I could do that, Go to Lindsay that is.

Well I guess I could if I take a really long ride. Gas milage not so good since the s/c install . Actually it's about the same as long as you keep your foot out of it, It's just that when you do play it uses alooooot more gas which brings the average down pretty quick.

same old shit ! you play ,you pay

V-Smooth
01-26-07, 03:22 PM
Not to thread-jack but aren't our rotors paited with a rust-proof coating from the factory? I've had my V for not quite a year and they still look brand new...but I was wondering if they do rust is that covered under warranty?

rlj5
01-26-07, 03:48 PM
sure got rust on mine

04CTSVFLA
01-26-07, 05:48 PM
I think the difference is alot more than 9.00.....
OE Rotors
387.34 for the set
Cross Drilled Rotors
595.00 for the set

rlj5
01-26-07, 05:55 PM
might be what you can buy them for , But the dealer was talking $140.00 each if he ordered them for me & that is only about $9 cheaper than the cross-drilled from lindsay

CVP33
01-26-07, 07:06 PM
Same exact situation here, except I took my car to Lindsay, so James didn't have to ship them to me :D

-Chris

Been there, done that. :highfive:

ssmith100
01-26-07, 07:09 PM
I think James can do better than $595.00 for four. I paid a lot less than that for mine. THEY WILL RUST, TRUST ME. Painting with the VHT is very easy though. Mine look brand new still.

Shane

04CTSVFLA
01-26-07, 11:08 PM
that is the James price for 4!!!! Whatd you pay?

dqw1
02-12-07, 05:20 PM
I think James can do better than $595.00 for four. I paid a lot less than that for mine. THEY WILL RUST, TRUST ME. Painting with the VHT is very easy though. Mine look brand new still.

Shane
Hmmm, just got my rotors in today and putting them on in the morning and was told not to paint the hats. Will the hat coating wear off? I thinking what I'm hearing is that it will.

HushH
02-12-07, 08:50 PM
Not to thread-jack but aren't our rotors paited with a rust-proof coating from the factory? I've had my V for not quite a year and they still look brand new...but I was wondering if they do rust is that covered under warranty?

Maybe it's the 06's. I've got almost 10k in mine, car wash every week, and no rust so far. Of course I may have just jinxed myself.