: loud whine during very cold startups???

ndogg ct
01-26-07, 07:35 AM
guys when it is 20 degrees or less out my car makes a loud whine during startup that seem to be coming from the engine??it does not happen every time,but very often..any others with this prob?thanks!!

mcarter
01-26-07, 07:45 AM
I have an 04 and about a year ago it got down to 9F here in CO. I had a loud whine at startup in my power steering system. I would only occur below 20F and would go away after warmup. My dealer found a TSB and they changed my fluid. No problems this winter.

Lyn Labahn
01-26-07, 08:28 AM
It is your power steering fluid contracting slightly in the cold. Go purchase a quart of power steering fluid, and put about a 1/3 of it in the resevoir. Should go away. At least mine did.

M5eatr
01-26-07, 09:44 AM
Awesome info. Mine just started doing the same thing. This week it's finally winter in NY.

ndogg ct
01-26-07, 10:12 AM
thanks guys!!yea it's been awesome being able to drive the v all winter,but yea winter has finally caught up to us here in ct(4 degrees right now).time to get the truck going!!

atdeneve
01-26-07, 11:16 AM
Last night was freezing here in North Jersey and when I started the car, I was greeted with a loud cranking / grinding sound (I just got the car back from the dealer, mind you). Scared the begeezus outta me - yes, the begeezus. Didn't stop there.

Also got a low coolant level warning. Hope I don't gotta a bad radiator - fingers crossed.

And my clutch pedal was stiff as hell. Remained that way till morning. I mean, I do get the dead pedal when I run it up in rpms (which it shouldn't do - I have to pump it to get pressure back), however, I've never had it stiff right from start up and then to remain that way for such an extended period of time - not cool.

And my power steering seemed to be making more sounds than usual. Dealer just worked on that, too. Power steering hose was rubbing on something on right turns - not exactly sure what; always seem to have some trouble extracting a good explanation of what work was done and why, sheesh.

All and all, not a good night. And it all started with that loud ass cranking / grinding. Really did scare me shitless.

rlj5
01-27-07, 08:01 PM
[quote=ndogg ct;953378]guys when it is 20 degrees or less out my car makes a loud whine during startup that seem to be coming from the engine??it does not happen every time,but very often..any others with this prob?thanks!![/q uote]

I have a loud whine when it's cold , Hey it even does it when it's warm . It whines really loud sometimes, must be that damn ProCharger making noise again