: What engines fit in the 80-92 bodies?

My_favorite_Brougham
01-26-07, 12:21 AM
I'm just curious, what engines will fit under the hood of my '90? The big block 500cui? What if it's from a front wheel drive Eldorado? Will that hook up? What about an LT1? Just want to understand the possibilities.

90Brougham350
01-26-07, 08:10 AM
Well, your carbureted '90 has a 307 Olds in it, so any Olds from the 307 up to the 403 will bolt in. If you can find an 80 or 81 parts car, you could use the engine and tranny mounts to bolt a big block Cadillac in, so yes, you could put a 500 in. Also, I don't know why anyone would wanna do this, but the HT4100 was used between 82 and 85, as well as the Buick V6. Lastly, the Chevy 350 was available from 90-92, and the Chevy 305 was the base engine for 91-92. Hope that answers your question!

turbocaddy
01-26-07, 08:44 PM
a g.n. motor fits...with a little work and wiring....:D

Destroyer
01-26-07, 08:57 PM
Just about any v8 motor GM has ever made will fit with exception for the newer FWD motors. You only have to make a few changes to put in a Chevy motor and the parts to do it are plentiful. You can put an LT1 (fuel injected or carbed) in it and you can stick any big block ever made by GM as well. Like 90Brougham350 mentioned a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) or Caddy motor will match your bellhousing and you can use existing motor mounts with the Olds motors but its real easy to simply change mounts and a few other items to stick a Chevy in it. I've done many motor swaps and changed several cars from BOP drivetrains to Chevy, real easy, thats the beauty of GM.

Steeltag
01-27-07, 12:08 AM
Turbocaddy....that interests me....could you give me some info/ideas on that swap and how it could/did turn out? I recall seeing a '88 I think for sale on the internet a few years ago that had that done to it....but they wanted $11,500 for it!!! I had a Turbo T Regal before and really thought about putting one of those LC2 motors in my old Riviera.....all buick.

Destroyer
01-27-07, 10:13 AM
Turbocaddy....that interests me....could you give me some info/ideas on that swap and how it could/did turn out? I recall seeing a '88 I think for sale on the internet a few years ago that had that done to it....but they wanted $11,500 for it!!! I had a Turbo T Regal before and really thought about putting one of those LC2 motors in my old Riviera.....all buick.
Hardest part would be locating an entire GN drivetrain complete with computer/wiring harness and all accessories. IMO not worth all the trouble. Better off with a stroker SBC or a BB Caddy,Chevy or BOP. GN's are now collectible and priced accordingly so even if you did find a parts car it would set you back quite a bit and then you would have to do a rebuild.

turbocaddy
02-02-07, 09:53 PM
it was not hard, u must have the eng,computer,wiring,electric fan and intercooler,power steering reservoir and a power vacuum brake port from a trans am turbo 1989, both wiring books from the buick and caddy,get mounts from an 81 deville with the 4100 v-6,eng drops in,trans stays where it is.move the battery and stuff from the left side of the fender to the right,use the same caddy radiator and plumb the oil cooler and trans cooler to it
if u do it right, the a/c (after u make the hoses longer and use the buick a/c compressor)and check engine light works..i have close to 200,000 miles on mine so far and runs 14.7 in a 1/4 mile with the stock single rear..lots of wheel spin....the best is messing with the 5.0 mustangs..