: How to test ignition control module

pimpjuice01
01-25-07, 10:37 PM
Ok, so my coil for cyl 2/5 is not getting any spark at all. I've replaced it, and tested 3 different ones. So how can I test the ICM, or should I just replace it?

dkozloski
01-26-07, 12:56 AM
Ok, so my coil for cyl 2/5 is not getting any spark at all. I've replaced it, and tested 3 different ones. So how can I test the ICM, or should I just replace it?
Take it to NAPA or AutoZone and they'll test it for you.

ewill3rd
01-26-07, 07:39 AM
See the PM I sent you.

Sounds like a bad module to me.

pimpjuice01
01-26-07, 01:01 PM
Well I ordered a blue streak ICM from a parts place.. Hopefully cadillac isn't to fussy with which ICM you use. With all this gas going down my cat because the lack of spark, will it clog it?

dkozloski
01-26-07, 03:29 PM
Well I ordered a blue streak ICM from a parts place.. Hopefully cadillac isn't to fussy with which ICM you use. With all this gas going down my cat because the lack of spark, will it clog it?
It'll burn up from the extra heat of combustion of the unburnt fuel. Be careful where you park. People have burnt their cars up parking over dry grass.

ewill3rd
01-26-07, 03:34 PM
It won't "clog" it, but I wouldn't run it any more than you have to.
It sure isn't good for it to run like that but it should do no permanent damage.

dkozloski
01-26-07, 04:00 PM
It won't "clog" it, but I wouldn't run it any more than you have to.
It sure isn't good for it to run like that but it should do no permanent damage.
If misfires are allowed to continue unabated they will burn up the cat converter. The purpose of the converter is to consume unburt hydrocarbons so they don't go out the tailpipe. The catalyst allows the combustion to occur at lower than flame temperature like a hand warmer but the cat still gets hot as hell. I've seen them red hot. Don't park in a wheat field. Some cars such as a Mazda RX-7 have a cat overheat indicator built into the floor of the car to warn you of a fire hazard from the cat. It lights a light and a message in the annunciator panel.

ewill3rd
01-26-07, 07:47 PM
Some cars give us a calculated catalyst temperature on the data display.
I have seen temps in excess of 1,000 degrees Farenheit.
They usually have to get to about 600 degrees just to function.

NEVER park over leaves, dry grass (or even green grass for that matter) paper debris or pretty much anything. Usually as long as air has the opportunity to circulate under the car and nothing is in contact with the converter you should be okay but don't take chances.
I have gotten some of the nastiest burns you ever saw from exhaust systems. I have learned some painful lessons of respect for exhaust pipes.

Be sure to let us know what the results of your module installation are, I am confident that you will be happy based on what you have posted.