: URGENT: How important are the beefier Hotchkis parts???

tweeter81
01-25-07, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

I am going to be installing my Hotchkis sways tomorrow with the help of another forum member and just wanted to know. How important are the new beefier U brackets? Will the smaller ones actually fail? I know that it appears that the original ones may deform with use but can I get away with using them for 3-4 months before changing to the beefier ones? The reason I ask is because I have been waiting for Hotchkis to send them out and they haven't arrived yet so all I have is the original brackets (although I did get the collar kit, which is nice) and I have been planning on the install date for awhile now and don't want to push it back. Any experience would be very helpful. Also, I will be doing probably a couple of months of regular driving and then a full track day in April, so they will be getting used.

Florian
01-25-07, 07:36 PM
naw bud, they wont fail. No worries. Youre gettin WAAAYYYY to lathered up over this.

F

rgd
01-25-07, 08:17 PM
mine failed within days

nikon
01-25-07, 08:19 PM
I had mine on for a couple months, when i changed them only the right side was slightly disfigured...you'll be fine ;)

tweeter81
01-25-07, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys. But, I still am not sure what to think.

2 - 1

don't worry, won't fail - do worry, will fail within days

I need more data...

nikon
01-25-07, 10:13 PM
hmm, first off do you have the correct endlinks?? I think the stockers fail if your lowered, you need the vette endlinks if I'm not mistaken...dunno what rgd's setup was when they failed, but my car is completly stock(susp. wise) except for the bars...and like I say, they lasted a couple months....I mean it's not like they're gonna rip in half or anything, they just bend a little....and its like a 20 minute swap for the new brackets anyways...so what've you got to lose??

tweeter81
01-25-07, 10:19 PM
Thanks nikon,

You're right, I shouldn't be worried. It's just that I have put in a lot of time and effort to make sure that I have all the parts needed and now those damn brackets are the only thing I am missing. And yes, I will be putting on the vette endlinks because we are doing FG2s, GC Kit, UUC shifter, and the Hots swaybars all at once. I'm not gonna worry about it, if the brackets come in the mail then fine, but if not, I am going forward with the install anyway. I trust you nikon, you have never steered me wrong. (everything you said about the Magnaflow exhaust was spot on and I love it)

Peace

rand49er
01-26-07, 05:20 AM
Hey, tweeter, the brackets won't actually "fail," but if you're worried, go to the hardware store and buy four BAWs (big-ass washers). These will spread out the clamping force holding the brackets in place.

My brackets were starting to lift (distort), and I installed the BAWs ... I'm still running like that. As soon as it warms up around here, I'll install the beefier brackets I got from Hotchkis. And, you don't need the Z06 endlinks unless you're using a lowering kit like Ground Control.

Otherwise, your install should go just fine. Good luck!

nikon
01-26-07, 09:56 AM
Thanks nikon,

You're right, I shouldn't be worried. It's just that I have put in a lot of time and effort to make sure that I have all the parts needed and now those damn brackets are the only thing I am missing. And yes, I will be putting on the vette endlinks because we are doing FG2s, GC Kit, UUC shifter, and the Hots swaybars all at once. I'm not gonna worry about it, if the brackets come in the mail then fine, but if not, I am going forward with the install anyway. I trust you nikon, you have never steered me wrong. (everything you said about the Magnaflow exhaust was spot on and I love it)

Peace

man you got a long day ahead of you with all those parts....should be a whole new animal when your done though :devil:

Florian
01-26-07, 10:07 AM
Hey, tweeter, the brackets won't actually "fail," but if you're worried, go to the hardware store and buy four BAWs (big-ass washers). These will spread out the clamping force holding the brackets in place.

My brackets were starting to lift (distort), and I installed the BAWs ... I'm still running like that. As soon as it warms up around here, I'll install the beefier brackets I got from Hotchkis. And, you don't need the Z06 endlinks unless you're using a lowering kit like Ground Control.

Otherwise, your install should go just fine. Good luck!

Rand,

I did the BAW route...and when the new Hots brackets came in and I installed them, the BAWs were bent! The old style wont break or fail, just twist under torsional load and cause the dreaded Hots "Clunk". Have a great install, Tweet. You wont be disappointed.

F

NoSlackCadillac
01-26-07, 10:15 AM
Are these beffier parts something you purchased, or is hotchkiss giving them to fix the weaknesses in their original product?

tweeter81
01-26-07, 11:20 AM
The parts are free from Hotchkis. You just have to call up their customer service line (Drew) and ask for them (just don't expect them to come in a timely manner, last I heard they were actually out of the parts and were ordering more which were supposed to get in sometime this last week). They also have a collar kit to keep the bars from sliding laterally. Both those and the beefier brackets are new parts from Hotchkis.

ahahnu
01-26-07, 11:53 AM
I ordered mine on xmas eve (the beefy brackets), about two weeks ago I asked drew if he sent them and said they were on back order should be like a week and ahalf. I definately have a bad clunk/banging sound over bumps. I also go the collars because the bars are definately drifting, I'm just waiting for the beefier brackets to do all at once. I too hope they come soon.

rand49er
01-26-07, 03:37 PM
... I definately have a bad clunk/banging sound over bumps. I also go the collars because the bars are definately drifting ...Take a few spirited corners both left and right ... that should help till you install "fix."

calicadi
01-27-07, 03:19 PM
Knowing what I know, personally, I would not do a track day on the original brackets. I was able to distort those pretty seriously on a single autocross session. I went through 3 sets (original and two replacements) over nine events.

If you're just daily-driving you'll be fine. The autocross season starts here tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted on the performance of the new brackets.

ahahnu
01-29-07, 05:06 PM
Has any one who ordered their parts since Christmas receive them yet? I hate it when my customers annoy the shit out of me for little annoying parts, so I'd rather wait before I ask again (Drew at Hotchkis).

rgd
01-30-07, 03:05 AM
I have this fine set of brackets that I am willing to ship free of charge to a fello V owner. They are actually the origional ones that came with my Hotchkis sways. I cut and welded metal to strengthen them.. Maybe stronger than their fix, just not a pretty. You need your own grease fittings.
I can ship in one day. Lol

PM me if you want them, I may not look back! :yup:
heck i'll even clean um up 4 ya.

tweeter81
01-30-07, 11:13 AM
rgd,

You have mail.