: Installed intake

97greendeville
01-25-07, 05:57 PM
Hey, I just installed that intake my cousin gave to me, it looks nice, but after installing it I noticed that my engine compartment needs to be cleaned out. You guys may not believe it but my 97 deville has got a little better throttle response. Have you ever looked at that stock box?? A tiny little hole is the only air inlet. If you guys have any questions just throw at me. I can give you the guy he bought it from. Also is there anything I have to watch out for when washing out the engine compartment?
Buck

Ranger
01-25-07, 08:50 PM
Don't drown the coils, ICM or the alternator. You might have to blow out the plug wells if too much water gets in them and it starts missing. Personally, I was never too careful.

Regarding the air box, our old Guru (a GM powertrain engineer) told us that the intake was designed to deliver all the air that the Northstar needs at WOT. If you stop and think about it, why would they build a world class performance engine and restrict its output by something as simple as restricting the intake opening.

CandyRedDHS
01-26-07, 12:03 AM
I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip. He says it feels WAY! faster than stock, and that they haven't messed with any computer so far after having it on 6 months.So i plan on doing most of the same except for air filter(i'm going k and n)...I know ranger is very very very knowledgeable (don't know if i spelled that right) when it comes to the northstar or any cadillac. But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.

pimpincaddystyle
01-26-07, 12:41 AM
why would you have bosch platinum plugs in a caddy for? thats hurts me

dkozloski
01-26-07, 01:55 AM
I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip. He says it feels WAY! faster than stock, and that they haven't messed with any computer so far after having it on 6 months.So i plan on doing most of the same except for air filter(i'm going k and n)...I know ranger is very very very knowledgeable (don't know if i spelled that right) when it comes to the northstar or any cadillac. But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.
And the farmer hauled another load away.

97greendeville
01-26-07, 11:28 AM
I see your point ranger, it is a class leading engine, but there are always alternatives, and new technology is coming out every day. My car is a 1997 and I am sure that the filter designs and intakes now are better than before. In 1997 it had the best parts, but even then, they have to make the equipment as quiet as possible, which results in loss of power.
Does the old guru ever come on anymore? It'd be interesting to learn new stuff from him. I am going to get into engineering after hs , work for GM. :)
Are bosch plugs bad or something??? I have seen a prototype chip, but none for the deville, they are too expensive for the little horsepower. All I want to do to my car is new mufflers and fix some bumps and bruises the car has.

Buck

JimD
01-26-07, 01:41 PM
....I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,....
Get the Hooker part# for those headers.

.... But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.
Do you mean "claim to show" improved hp/tq?

97greendeville
01-26-07, 05:02 PM
They claim more than they show, but there is improvement.

Ranger
01-26-07, 05:31 PM
I see your point ranger, it is a class leading engine, but there are always alternatives, and new technology is coming out every day. My car is a 1997 and I am sure that the filter designs and intakes now are better than before. In 1997 it had the best parts, but even then, they have to make the equipment as quiet as possible, which results in loss of power.
Does the old guru ever come on anymore? It'd be interesting to learn new stuff from him. I am going to get into engineering after hs , work for GM. :)
Are bosch plugs bad or something??? I have seen a prototype chip, but none for the deville, they are too expensive for the little horsepower. All I want to do to my car is new mufflers and fix some bumps and bruises the car has.

Buck
I have seen him once in a while under a different name, but he remains anonymous now.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-26-07, 06:33 PM
And the farmer hauled another load away.

That made me laugh out loud. I love it when I go to the parts store and people actually buy some of this crap... Especially the BS bosch plugs. I think in the near future, I will market a new spark plug with six instead of four and sell them for fifteen dollars each.

danbuc
01-26-07, 07:07 PM
I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip.

I don't mean to sound like an a**hole, but do you have any idea what you talking about?

Hooker does not make exhaust headers for the N*. No one does, unless you count a jig that you fabricate a set on by yourself. If it's a Deville '96 or older there is no "Chip" and you can't remove the governor. I just hate it when people start spouting things they've heard from people who claim to have done things that are impossible, and have people believe them. I have no doubt that with a little finesse you might be able to get one of their block hugger headers to kinda fit, but no one manufactures stock replacement exhaust headers for these cars.

CandyRedDHS
01-26-07, 09:24 PM
yes hook does make custom headers for some extra $$$ i've called about them already and the governor chip can easily be removed from the mechanic i go to for 112 bucks(he's been working on Cadillacs for more than 20 years and thats the place where the dealer i bought my car from sends theirs.)Said there should be no computer error and the hp/tq gains were on a dyno.plus it was chip made by fastchips.the gain with all the things wasn't all that much but better than stock.It was 24hp gain and a 16tq gain.

CandyRedDHS
01-26-07, 09:25 PM
and the bosche help prevent misfire(supposedly)

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-26-07, 10:26 PM

What are you talking about?

CadillacSTS42005
01-26-07, 10:58 PM
ROFL
there is no hack to remove the speed limiter...
i smell....
BULLSH*T

dkozloski
01-27-07, 01:14 AM
yes hook does make custom headers for some extra $$$ i've called about them already and the governor chip can easily be removed from the mechanic i go to for 112 bucks(he's been working on Cadillacs for more than 20 years and thats the place where the dealer i bought my car from sends theirs.)Said there should be no computer error and the hp/tq gains were on a dyno.plus it was chip made by fastchips.the gain with all the things wasn't all that much but better than stock.It was 24hp gain and a 16tq gain.
The farmer leased a bellydump to haul this load away.

dkozloski
01-27-07, 01:21 AM
If you think technology has to be new to be effective, listen to this. The engine that makes these wonderful noises is only 1500CC's, turns 12,000RPM, puts out 550HP. and was made in 1953. http://www.billzilla.org/BRM-pushstart.mp3

danbuc
01-27-07, 05:22 PM

Bosch plugs are the worst thing you can put in these motors. They're almost guaranteed to foul, and cause a misfire. It's on the box..read it sometime. But seriously, 90% of the people here who have tried them, have had problems. I think that speaks for itself.

Second...again I reiterate...WTF are you talking about? There is no removable chip in any Cadillac built after 1995. The EEPROM chip is soldered directly to the ECM's main board. The only way to to remove it is with a soldering iron, or small flat head screwdriver. Both of which would most likely destroy it in the process and render the ECM unusable.

Your mechanic friend has no idea what's going on, and last time I checked, Hooker didn't make one off custom headers unless your name was Chip Foose or Boyd Coddington....

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 12:08 PM
rofl
that was great danbuc
i think this guys on complete crack
and soon enough he will be laughed off the forum..

Submariner409
01-28-07, 12:38 PM
IF Hooker made headers which would fit into the Deville/Seville N* series, they would be backordered for years. Ditto for the PCM "chip" (no such animal...). I tried Bosch 4 plugs in my Olds 455 boat engine, pulled them out the same day and went back to the NGK XR-5i iridium electrode version. For the ACTUAL "gains", N* aftermarket air intake/filter setups cost a bundle. TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

OffThaHorseCEO
01-28-07, 01:32 PM
they have to make the equipment as quiet as possible, which results in loss of power

thats what i was gonna say ranger, sure the engine is a world class engine, but the car has to be too, most cadillac customers (i assume) want an engine you cant hear at idle, and can bearly hear at when driving, so the intake is baffled, so the air is restricted, so power is lot.

maybe its not enough air or power to make a difference, but if someone really like the sound of their northstar revving, then its definitely worth it

AaronZ34
01-28-07, 02:10 PM
My 1998 Northstar has no speed limiter, and has a chip.

danbuc
01-28-07, 02:19 PM

PROVE IT! I want pictures of the speedo at top speed, and a pic of this so called chip and where it's supposed to go. Taking a picture of the Z-rated option code on your d/s door jam and saying you have a chip too does not count.

Second, who manufactures this chip. What's the part number. What are the advertised gains, version actual.

Your not gonna get off easy on this one. Too many people claiming bullsh*t to just sit back and let it happen.

You either prove it, or be laughed at for the remainder of this thread. That's how it works. Don't expect to come on here saying stuff like this without evidence to back it up, because you will get called out on it.....LIKE RIGHT NOW!

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 02:52 PM
yo danbuc
i can post my chip i think ive proven it
but its a PROTOTYPE
ONE MADE
NO MORE
everyone else who claims to own a chip is full of crap
Z rated isnt a chip its programming that removed the speed limiter.
there is no hack for the fwd obd2 northstars, hell even my chip didnt remove the limiter, it adjusted shift points and upped the timing...
stop lying everyone your not impressing anyone with your bullshit claims about chips and added power, us vets of the forums know all about the N* and power upgrades and they DO NOT EXIST
if im wrong so be it, but your gonna need more than just an I HAVE ONE, especially when you dont even have over 200 posts....
i swear to god all these newbies roll in and assume were gonna bow down before them because they say they have a chip when we know its complete BULLSHIT!!!!

danbuc
01-28-07, 06:10 PM
I've seen your pic, and what you had wasn't a chip per say, but kind of like an integrated, in line piggy back computer. A lot more complicated, and technically advanced than a removable EEPROM chip.

clarkz71
01-28-07, 06:13 PM

Sorry, the only Northstars with chips are 93-95, OBD I.:thepan:

Submariner409
01-28-07, 09:32 PM
:histeric: Without phone numbers, companies, part numbers, prices, etc., perhaps this thread should die..........Hmmm....maybe I'll put side pipes on my new 3&3/4" 4-tube headers in my raked, lowered STS and drive at 35 through the local mall lot, speed bumps and all.....:helpless:

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 10:40 PM
lol
this is funny as hell
i hate people who dont contribute at all and then post saying they have this chip that does blah blah blah...
little do they realize due to their ignorance we know very well it doesnt exists...

OffThaHorseCEO
01-28-07, 10:56 PM
maybe someone swapped an obd1 engine into that 98 deville, and it was chipped and he bought it like that.

i havent read the threads about compatible years and i dont kno em. and i kno its prolly highly unlikely

but you never know

prolly not

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 11:07 PM
no way
will not integrate
the obd1 use completely different plugs and system
they wouldnt be able to interface with ANY of the obd2 computers
the rke, pzm, ebtcm everything!!!
the guys on crack and bragging to people whom know better...

AaronZ34
01-29-07, 01:31 AM
maybe someone swapped an obd1 engine into that 98 deville, and it was chipped and he bought it like that.

i havent read the threads about compatible years and i dont kno em. and i kno its prolly highly unlikely

but you never know

prolly not

Or maybe someone swapped a 1998 N* into a different type of car, and then controlled it using a GM 7730 ECU. Which, by the way, has a chip. And this chip has the speed limiter removed.

I win.

AND OMG, HERE'S A PIC!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/AaronZ34/DOHC%20V6/PB190008.jpg

By the way, don't expect to call bullshit when you havn't thought outside the box. All you said was that it had to be a 1998 N*, and I firmly remember pulling the engine out of a 1998 STS. So fact remains. I have a 1998 N*, with a chip, and no limiter. I win. I'm laughing my ass off at you.

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-07, 01:39 AM
no
you have a PONTIAC with a Northstar
not a CADILLAC northstar
this thread was about chipping a CADILLAC northstar and you chime in, what else would any else think...
your a real funny one, posting a response in a thread that has nothing to do with it
ha ah aha not...
its like calling the Lucern or GXP a Cadillac because it had the lac engine...
and for your smug remark the only thing i can say is this
Poor
Old
Nobody
Thinks
Its
A
Cadillac...

AaronZ34
01-29-07, 02:47 AM
Wanna race my fake Cadillac?

Wanna go around a turn in my fake Cadillac? I promise it won't understeer.

Wanna pull the front tires off the ground in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna row the gears in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna slide out the rear end in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna drift in my fake Cadillac?

Because I do. That's why I didn't buy a Cadillac.

I'm not poor.
I'm not old.
I'm the nobody whose car can walk all over your's.
I know it's not a Cadillac, and am glad of the fact.

Lastly, what if I ran your Cadillac, but with my ECU? What then? Would it be a Chevrolet because that's what the ECU came out of? Or would it be a Northstar with a chip and no limiter? I have a Cadillac Northstar, with a chip, and no limiter. And you can have the same thing. Mine just isn't in a Cadillac, because I don't want Cadillac performance (If you can call it that).

davesdeville
01-29-07, 03:48 AM
So you run what 13s now instead of 14s? I'm impressed. I have Cadillac power in a non-Cadillac for the same reasons, only I try not to come on here and act like a dick.

Paging urbanski for another slap on the wrist. :rolleyes:

AaronZ34
01-29-07, 11:35 AM
So you run what 13s now instead of 14s? I'm impressed. I have Cadillac power in a non-Cadillac for the same reasons, only I try not to come on here and act like a dick.

13s? HA!

A stock N* will run a 12.4 at 110. Mine's not stock.

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-07, 01:57 PM
want a cookie?
so basically you did the import tuner way, rather than moding what you have you do a hack job install a northstar and were all to bow down before you?
dude grow up no one cares alot of ppl on the forum have done the swap and they are nice so we respect them your a punk
oh and do ya have heated seats?
didnt think so...
and for the record my LT1 83 Trans Am will blow your doors off
and if you wanna cut up on Caddys put a vtech in your car lol
oh and dont even get me started about my STS-V, i highly doubt youd beat that
and heres the real kicker
what happens when off the line i nail your turd car using a pit manuver sending you into the wall rofl
little fiberglass tinker toy doesnt stand a chance, dont think youll be winning that race
yes what i said is completely stupid
however i thought id try sinking to your intelegence and level of thought...
wasnt easy...
my head hurts alot....
and i fell like i wanna kill myself...
but somehow ill pull through...
urby please ban him and close the thread

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-07, 02:08 PM
Wanna race my fake Cadillac?

Wanna go around a turn in my fake Cadillac? I promise it won't understeer.

Wanna pull the front tires off the ground in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna row the gears in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna slide out the rear end in my fake Cadillac?

Wanna drift in my fake Cadillac?

so umm basically what your asking here is
do i wanna drive like a complete idiot, kill myself and potentially hurt other people with wreckless driving, and in the least maybe just get lucky and end up with tickets major fines and my licence pulled...
you deff proved your not mature there my friend my hats off to you!:bigroll:
thank god its a fake Cadillac, youd give ours a really piss poor name...

urbanski
01-29-07, 02:11 PM

somebody jacked my V embz

dkozloski
01-29-07, 02:42 PM
It looks like we need the old Indian truth test here. We tie their left hands together, hand each one a butcher knife, and let them decide who's right.

AaronZ34
01-29-07, 03:54 PM
so basically you did the import tuner way, rather than moding what you have you do a hack job install a northstar and were all to bow down before you?
dude grow up no one cares alot of ppl on the forum have done the swap and they are nice so we respect them your a punk
oh and do ya have heated seats?

I guess if you want to look at it that way. I took the car that I love, and fixed what I didn't love about it. Very few people have done the swap, every one is different, and every one is extremely complex. And it's a bit ignorant to call my swap a hackjob without ever seeing it. And I do not want heated seats. That isn't what my Fiero is for. However, the car that fills what your your Cadillac spot is in my life does have heated seats.

and for the record my LT1 83 Trans Am will blow your doors off
and if you wanna cut up on Caddys put a vtech in your car lol
oh and dont even get me started about my STS-V, i highly doubt youd beat that

Well by you're prior definition you are now the import tuner. You couldn't go fast with what it had, so you had to do a hackjob swap. And then you pick a 2 valve all iron engine to do it with. Congrats.

I'm not, to quote your terrible use of the English language, "cut up on Caddys," I am simply stating that you were wrong. You said no 98 N* has a chip, and every one has a limiter. My 98 N* has a chip, and no limiter. I could have very easily purchased a 1998 STS. But it wouldn't do what I wanted this void in my driveway to do. The Fiero does.

And a stock N* Fiero will walk a STS-V, XLR-V, or anything else Cadillac makes, or has ever made. A stock N* Fiero will walk any GM vehicle made, excepting only the C6 Z06.

what happens when off the line i nail your turd car using a pit manuver sending you into the wall rofl
little fiberglass tinker toy doesnt stand a chance, dont think youll be winning that race
yes what i said is completely stupid
however i thought id try sinking to your intelegence and level of thought...
wasnt easy...
my head hurts alot....
and i fell like i wanna kill myself...
but somehow ill pull through...
urby please ban him and close the thread

That's odd. The Fiero got a 5 star crash test rating in every category it was tested in, making it one of the safest vehicles of the 80s. This was because underneath the cheap, easy to fix, eternally lasting, lightweight, easy to mold, and high quality body panels was a robotically designed and executed steel space frame. So sure you may crack my "fiberglash tinker," (Ironic considering the only fiberglass part on a Fiero is the aftermarket battery tray I bought), what you would break would be easily repaired, and look brand new afterwards.

Fact is, I don't want or need what a Cadillac has to offer. I do want what a Fiero has to offer. So I bought one, swapped one of GM's best engines into it, and I enjoy it. You should get off of your superiority complex sometime, and realize that others can have what you have, they just don't want it.

urbanski
01-29-07, 03:56 PM
I ...

thank you for keeping the arguments here respectable.

no more name calling k guys?

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-07, 04:47 PM
come on - urb

clarkz71
01-29-07, 04:59 PM
Quick edit. :stirpot:

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-29-07, 05:00 PM
it's funny, whenever I enter a new social circle, I don't make it a point to argue with everyone as my first act. That's just me though.

I also like how you make the fiero out to be the best vehicle they made. I also love how you compare a fiero to an XLR. If memory serves me correct, the XLR is a luxury version of the corvette with a northstar engine and a different body.

AaronZ34
01-29-07, 05:29 PM
I also like how you make the fiero out to be the best vehicle they made. I also love how you compare a fiero to an XLR. If memory serves me correct, the XLR is a luxury version of the corvette with a northstar engine and a different body.

I did no such thing, I merely corrected his distorted views of the car's positive and negative aspects.

The Fiero is not perfect, but for what I wanted, there really is no better car. It has its downsides, no doubt. It has a pitiful excuse for a boat anchor stock, the suspension isn't as good as it could be, and there are other quirks. But for what I want, it is near perfect. There is no better vehicle for the void of mine, because if there was, I'd own it.

I didn't start that comparison, he did. With an elementary showing of sentence structure, he proclaimed "oh and dont even get me started about my STS-V, i highly doubt youd beat that." I could do that with a stock N* in a Fiero, quite easily in fact. And then I added to that the XLR-V, which is quicker than his Godly STS-V, with its heated seats and all. So the XLR offers more luxury, but luxury isn't what I wanted in this car. I wanted a 10-11 second car, that drove like stock, and could corner as well as it accelerated. And I got it. That luxury slot is more than filled by my Jeep. And I can drive that in the snow.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-29-07, 06:54 PM
Ok, so I see you are trying to...well actually I don't know what you were trying to do, but anyway, you still insulted him again. How often do we here fully think out our sentance structure? I have written thousands of pages of research, essay and editorial material. I do very well with what I do, yet you can find countless errors in my grammer, spelling etc on these forums.

So I want to know WTF you are talking about.

CandyRedDHS
01-29-07, 09:45 PM
hmm did alot of searching and found out that the filter dosn't do anything at all...the spark plugs mechanic said ACdelco was best for NorthStar....i felt like a complete idiot,next time i'll read before i speak.(still gonna do the CAI and corsa exhaust though,love that sound) don't knock on me for what i said earlier,still trying to find the site i found the guy that told me that though so you guys can tell him.

Ranger
01-29-07, 09:56 PM
He he, well, can't say we didn't try to tell you. At some time or other we all learned something we thought to be true was wrong. Consider yourself a little wiser.

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-07, 10:13 PM
aww man urb
what i said wasnt that bad that you had to cut the WHOLE thing...

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-29-07, 10:19 PM
There have been many times that I have made a complete ass out of myself. The advantage here is that you are anonomous.

About the CAI though, I think I remember someone doing one a little while back and it didn't do very much. I would believe that since the air that comes in is pretty isolated from the rest of the engine bay.

If you want to spend some money on your car, doing a nice exhaust is a good way to go. Also, you can put some new tires and rims on or tint your windows. You can do a million things. Just don't do anything that will cause a big bloody wound in your foot.