: Caliper Powdercoating Questions

bcholka
01-25-07, 03:30 PM
1. Do the calipers need to be disassembled (seals removed, etc) for powdercoating or can the process be performed by taping, etc? I know that the powdercoating process uses much heat and wasn't sure if the heat affects the internal seals.
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, than how much would it typically cost to have all this done? (disassemble calipers, powdercoat, rebuild calipers)
3. I know many have painted their calipers (some haven't even removed them for this process) but this sort of scares me. :eek: Maybe if the podercoating is too much time/effort/money I will consider painting them as a last resort.
Looking forward to your input!

DgtalPimp
01-25-07, 08:31 PM
1. Do the calipers need to be disassembled (seals removed, etc) for powdercoating or can the process be performed by taping, etc? I know that the powdercoating process uses much heat and wasn't sure if the heat affects the internal seals.
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, than how much would it typically cost to have all this done? (disassemble calipers, powdercoat, rebuild calipers)
3. I know many have painted their calipers (some haven't even removed them for this process) but this sort of scares me. :eek: Maybe if the podercoating is too much time/effort/money I will consider painting them as a last resort.
Looking forward to your input!

As for the answer to question number 1:
I think a good question is what temp does powdercoating require vs. what temp does a caliper see under heavy braking?

There are paints out there with heat ranges for this purpose maybe the temps on their websites will help answer the powder vs braking temp question.

Dgtal

05CTS
01-25-07, 08:38 PM
Powder coating oven bake powder at 400 degrees. The only time there is a disadvantage to powder coated calipers is when you race b/c it will not disipate heat. When I get customers that race, we do a different type of process to cool the calipers. The calipers get thermo coated and the pistons get ceramic coated. I do this for a lot of vette guys.

Dreamin
01-26-07, 01:57 AM
Powdercoating is done at 350-400 deg. I've temp'ed brake calipers (different car) at 850 deg. The caliper paint everyone uses is rated to 900 deg.

So that would mean leaving the dust seals in place should not be a problem.

BUT... if i were you, i'd take the pistons/seals out... it's very easy to do. Either remove calipers, and use compress air to push the pistons out... What i've down in the past is to leave the calipers on the car, put a piece of wood inbetween the opposing pistons, and have someone push on the brakes Very slowly... the pistons will pop out. Have the person push on the brakes VERY slowly... the pistons will fly out and poke your eye out if your not careful!