: Something I'm not too crazy about regarding the 2007 Escalade

Lord Cadillac
01-25-07, 04:22 AM
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now. I do agree that the new Escalade is a very hot truck. It's not as mean and tough looking as the outgoing Escalade - but it's got a very classy appearance to it. And the front fascia is very unique compared to the rest of GMs trucks...

BUT.. From the side and back, they're all too close in comparison. I've NEVER mistaken another truck for a 2002-2006 Escalade. But from the rear and side - I constantly find myself saying, "Nice Escalade" only to get closer and realize it's a Tahoe or Suburban. I realize that GM wants to raise the bar with it's trucks - but it's got to keep the Cadillac models more unique..

Remember the Eldorado, the Riviera, the Toronado and other examples of cars that looked almost identical? They're all gone now. How about all the cars that looked just like the DeVille? Cadillac needs to keep separate from all the other brands. You can't just be able to throw on a nice set of 22s and have a Caddy with a boring front-end...

cadymon
01-25-07, 04:27 AM
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now. I do agree that the new Escalade is a very hot truck. It's not as mean and tough looking as the outgoing Escalade - but it's got a very classy appearance to it. And the front fascia is very unique compared to the rest of GMs trucks...

BUT.. From the side and back, they're all too close in comparison. I've NEVER mistaken another truck for a 2002-2006 Escalade. But from the rear and side - I constantly find myself saying, "Nice Escalade" only to get closer and realize it's a Tahoe or Suburban. I realize that GM wants to raise the bar with it's trucks - but it's got to keep the Cadillac models more unique..

Remember the Eldorado, the Riviera, the Toronado and other examples of cars that looked almost identical? They're all gone now. How about all the cars that looked just like the DeVille? Cadillac needs to keep separate from all the other brands. You can't just be able to throw on a nice set of 22s and have a Caddy with a boring front-end...

i went to all the damn dealers looking at everything from tahoes to yukon.
but nothing was like a caddy so i had to get in the LADE.

wht2000
01-25-07, 06:31 AM
My biggest complaint about the '07's is all the "chrome" plastic...cheapens the look of the truck...just like a lot of other trucks.

hcvone
01-25-07, 07:40 AM

Of course that is your opinion, and everyone has one. Personally I think the truck is much meaner looking, but from the side it does look like other GM trucks, but in everyway it really is much better, comfort, performance, handling just to name a few things, and I thought my 03' was a goog truck, and it was the best truck I have ever owned, time will tell if my 07's can better that. I can tell the difference from any angel which GM truck it is, but that's after owning a few 07's. But then again I was never a fan of the 02-06 cladding slapped on the dides of the trucks. :)

Lord Cadillac
01-25-07, 10:53 AM
The Cadillac version of the trucks is, technically, better in every way. They just look too similar from the sides. Yes, as you get to know the Escalades, you can tell them apart very easily.

For example, the CTS and STS look almost identical, to me, when the STS first came out. Now all I need to do is look at the door handles and I can tell what it is quite easily. And, of course, the front fascia now stands out to me.

Otherwise, yes - my personal opinion is that the sides of the new GM trucks look all too similar to the Escalade. With a couple of minor aftermarket slap-ons, it's almost identical (besides the front and rear).

LLT
01-25-07, 11:21 AM
If you're specifically looking for the fender vents and extra chrome, you can tell.... otherwise, if you're passing by a Yukon (especially a Denali since it too has the chrome roof rack rails) - you'd swear it's an Escalade until you look closer. I'd agree that a better side distinction could have been made.

All of the chrome on the 07 really mutes the white diamond as well. In. certain lighting conditions, a white diamond 07 Escalade looks like a regular white Tahoe. It's disappointing.

That said, the 07 is leaps and bounds above the previous generation in terms of powertrain smoothness, handling (I'm so glad they went back to rack and pinion steering, I like to feel the road!) and interior fit and finish. I do, however, feel that the 02-06's are build more solidly.. I feel like touching something the wrong way on the 07 could easily break something. Everything from the liftgate to the cheap plastic they used for door handles. Not as confidence-inspiring as I'd hoped. :)

My .02

Falkolade
01-25-07, 12:46 PM
the escalade and the denali are very similar... to me the back of the lade is boring with just that huge chrome bar in the middle of the hatch... and the lisence palate being on the hatch is way to trailblazerish for me... the front is hot though. The greatest improvemants were all in the line of the interior as stated... gm just fix the back and the sides a lil... take the emblems off an 07 escalade and your bound to hear "nice tahoe/yukon"

fast66
01-25-07, 01:46 PM

I notice the exact same thing....Usually I gotta look at the top brake light just to notice the caddy lights

Lord Cadillac
01-25-07, 06:00 PM
Thanks for understanding.. And again, I'm not saying that the Escalade looks bad - it's just that the other trucks look so good.. Everything (and not only from GM) is really starting to look nice out there...

benamaster
01-25-07, 09:41 PM
I feel like touching something the wrong way on the 07 could easily break something. Everything from the liftgate to the cheap plastic they used for door handles. Not as confidence-inspiring as I'd hoped.

I agree, I'd be afraid to lean on the center console, the Nav screen doesn't seem that solid and everything feels weaker. Granted the interior of the 02-06's was horrible it was very solid, the door handels are so strong, you can literally lean on the door and hold it to get up inside if you can't reach the grab handel. On the 07 I wouldn't want to put too much pressure anywhere. But I guess thats not something they can change as most of the new style GM vehicles are getting the same way.