: Squeaky Brakes

Slade1
01-24-07, 10:59 PM
My brakes squeal or squeak way too much. 70-80% of the time. When I go to work and have to park in a parking garage where the sound is amplified, I find it embarrassing that a new $75,000 cadillac has brakes that sqeak that much. I took it in to have them checked out and of course they couldn't get them to squeak in the 1.5mile test drive but after having the car all day told me that because of the brakes installed (semi-metallic brake pads) I should expect the squeaking. If that is what Cadillac thinks we expect with this car they are wrong. The brakes just started making noise the last 200-300 miles I have 4800 miles on it. They squeal independent of the speed, I hear it when I slow to a stop going 15-30mph or if I have to hit or tap them on the highway. Is this really what I should expect for the next couple of years? I'm already looking on the web at M5s

CadV
01-25-07, 12:00 AM
My brakes squeal or squeak way too much. 70-80% of the time. When I go to work and have to park in a parking garage where the sound is amplified, I find it embarrassing that a new $75,000 cadillac has brakes that sqeak that much. I took it in to have them checked out and of course they couldn't get them to squeak in the 1.5mile test drive but after having the car all day told me that because of the brakes installed (semi-metallic brake pads) I should expect the squeaking. If that is what Cadillac thinks we expect with this car they are wrong. The brakes just started making noise the last 200-300 miles I have 4800 miles on it. They squeal independent of the speed, I hear it when I slow to a stop going 15-30mph or if I have to hit or tap them on the highway. Is this really what I should expect for the next couple of years? I'm already looking on the web at M5s

You could replace the pads with some Hawk HP's or complain enough caddy does something. Hawk HP's front and back will run you about 200. They create zero brake dust too.

Slade1
01-25-07, 10:35 PM
I'll look into the Hawks, I have to believe there's a few options available. IF I can solve the problem for $200 that would be great. But why couldn't Cadillac solve the problem in the first place. Thanks.

CadV
01-25-07, 11:24 PM
I'll look into the Hawks, I have to believe there's a few options available. IF I can solve the problem for $200 that would be great. But why couldn't Cadillac solve the problem in the first place. Thanks.

Tell you what Slade I just bought some Hawks for my CTS-V and then I bought a new STS-V. I will sell them to you for what I paid for them. 200 for the pads and 5-10 for priority shipping.

Let me know if your interested.

BTW CTS-V and STS-V use the same pads.

caddyv8v
01-30-07, 12:27 PM
I have never heard of the oe pads making noise. cadillac should replace the pad set under warranty. speak to someone higher up at your dealer. here (at our dealership/atlanta) your problem would have been a resolved problem.

BMBSALES
02-23-07, 10:44 PM
You could replace the pads with some Hawk HP's or complain enough caddy does something. Hawk HP's front and back will run you about 200. They create zero brake dust too.

These are the regular hawk hps', not the ceramic? you have them, and they eliminate the dreaded brake dust? notice any stopping diff?

WillySTS
02-25-07, 12:43 AM
I am a Service Advisor at a Caddy Dealer and althought I have dealt with regular STS brake squeaks, regular CTS brake squeaks, Escalade, XLR and SRX's all with brake squeaks, and I have replaced worn brakes on a few CTS-V's and 1 STS-V... I have never had 1 complaint on brakes squeaking on an STS-v or a CTS-V and not even an XLR-V. So I am wondering, do you do a lot of low speed driving and never heat your brakes up, as in some spirited driving from time to time?... I'm asking because, there has got to be a reason your brakes are squeaking and most everyone else's V brakes are not.

P.S. The Hawks seem like a good idea, I may go for them myself just for the dust alone.

thefred
02-25-07, 02:19 PM
I have never heard of the oe pads making noise. cadillac should replace the pad set under warranty. speak to someone higher up at your dealer. here (at our dealership/atlanta) your problem would have been a resolved problem.
I like to hear that...what dealer are you using? I haven't had the best dealer experiences in Atlanta.....

XLRvman
02-25-07, 02:27 PM
The brakes on my 14,000 06 STSv have be a problem, have had it back at least 5 times --once they redid the brake lining, etc and since then every time they have it, it does not do it-- i drive a fell miles to a tollway were u can let it out a bit ~ 30 miles than on to city streets for another 5
I am going to print out this thread and c if I can get them to put in the pads u mentioned above. I have an 06 XLRv with only 58 miles picked up in early Dec, waitng for some nice weather--no problems so far

Tinmanx
02-25-07, 11:43 PM
My STS-V has 5000 miles on it and my brakes are making noise too. It reminds me of the noise brakes make when they get glazed from someone riding the brakes a lot. I may try talking to the dealership this coming weekend and see what they say.

Berger 93
02-26-07, 12:02 PM
8,600 miles and the passenger side rear brake squeaks.

caddyv8v
02-26-07, 07:40 PM
classic cadillac on roswell rd. i work there as well.