: Wheel hop on 2007 BMW M5

chesrowncadillac
01-24-07, 06:06 PM
This is from the current car and driver, we are not the only ones.
BMW's solution is something that would get a great response here on the forum.

From the article

When wheelspin is detected, DCS goes to work, damping the throttle, sometimes squeezing the big cross-drilled brake rotors.

All of this is attributable to productliability issues, specifically, concerns about axle tramp, a.k.a. wheel hop, during full-throttle launches, which could break expensive drivetrain bits and irritate the well-heeled owners BMW would prefer to keep happy.

This is from the review of the 2007 M5 stick shift.

nikon
01-24-07, 06:34 PM
lol, my 4 banger saturn vue has wheel hop...that is when you can actually get em to spin in the rain :D

The Tony Show
01-24-07, 06:42 PM
All cars with IRS can be made to wheelhop, especially when you've got a lot of horsepower. Lots of articles about Porsches talk about axle tramp under hard throttle, as well as Vipers, so we're not the only ones.

Koooop
01-24-07, 06:58 PM
All cars with IRS can be made to wheelhop, especially when you've got a lot of horsepower. Lots of articles about Porsches talk about axle tramp under hard throttle, as well as Vipers, so we're not the only ones.

My Corvette has absolutely no wheel hop what so ever, I've done more than a couple of burn outs in it.

V-Max
01-24-07, 06:58 PM
Figure the legal eagles at GM would have incorporated "wheel hp sensors" in the pcm and nivomat shocks. I bet they have replaced enough diffs to support half of the V's made by 50K miles. :)

rand49er
01-24-07, 08:19 PM
... When wheelspin is detected, DCS goes to work, damping the throttle, sometimes squeezing the big cross-drilled brake rotors. ...Pretty serious intrusion. Hey, GM, fix the dif, raise the HP, and the market could be yours! :sneaky:

HiTechRV
01-24-07, 08:27 PM
The intrusive nannies cost the BMW about a half a second in performance.

The Tony Show
01-24-07, 08:49 PM
Google search results for "Corvette Wheel Hop" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=corvette+wheel+hop&spell=1)

The wider track and transverse leaf springs in the 'Vette make it more of a drag machine and less prone to hop than the multilink setup in the CTS-V, but it still happens a lot.

V-Max
01-24-07, 09:33 PM
I think NVH is the biggest culprit. The more links you have the more rubber bushing that provide movement which evetually creates wheel occulations.

Norm

wildwhl
01-24-07, 10:14 PM
My silly 4 banger Lotus doesn't hop :Poke:

WW

onebadcad
01-24-07, 10:20 PM
Those new M5s are nothing but over-priced EuroTrash. If anyone owns one, or has an acquaintance with one, send it to me, I will pay shipping and take it off your hands for good:D . Seriously, the M5s are nice, just not $90K nice.