: Adding auxillary inputs to a '97 Deville

Nick93SDV
01-24-07, 03:19 PM
I just bought a '97 DeVille last night and now I want to add an auxillary input jack to run a portable CD player or maybe a portable XM unit. I searched the forum this morning and from what I can see, the standard way of doing this is to use the existing connector in the trunk that was intended for an optional CD changer. According to the threads, an aftermarket unit plugs into the connector and provides functionality for running an iPod remotely and if desired, using the RCA inputs for other devices as well.

The problem is that I don't want to have the source stuck in the trunk. That might be a spiffy solution for the iPodistas of the world but my goals are far more limited. I don't want to have to stop the car and open the trunk whenever I want to change a CD and if I use an XM receiver, I need to look at the display. And while iPods might be the greatest thing since seat belts, I don't use one and don't want to become locked into a particular technology. Another drawback is the high cost of the iPod adaptor unit (which runs $150 or so, I think) given that I don't need that functionality.

All I am looking for is a short cable that has a simple 3.5 mm stereo phone jack or plug on one end and on the other, the proper connector to hook up to the head unit in my '97 Deville. I'm assuming that if there is a connector in the trunk to hook up to the optional CD changer, then there has to be a connector of some sort on the back of the head unit. In an ideal world, I'd simply pull off the existing connector on the head unit (I will never have a need for a trunk mounted CD changer) and swap it with one that is wired to the cable described above. The cable with the stereo phone jack\plug would dangle harmlessly below the dash until I needed it. Power to the source device can come from either batteries or a lighter.

Is this a fantasy? Does a simple, low cost solution exist for adding an in-compartment auxillary inout into a '97 Deville? If so, is it an incredibly difficult task to access the back of the existing head unit and to replace the connector? Would the head unit "recognize" that there is another source out there? At the moment, the "source" button on the radio simply toggles between "radio" and "cassette".

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Nick
nickpace@rand.org

CadillacSTS42005
01-24-07, 03:41 PM
un run the changer wire from the trunk into the glove box
cant have your cake and eat it too...