: OnStar Bluetooth Kit

kueh
01-24-07, 03:10 PM
Does anyone have this? Or know if this will work in the V?

http://www.coastaletech.com/ONSTAR.htm

nikon
01-24-07, 03:17 PM
did'nt know about that, good find.

CHP N-V
01-24-07, 03:41 PM
I think thats something we all have been looking for... I am going to try and give them a call...

vseries
01-24-07, 08:06 PM
So you still need an aftermarket bluetooth kit? Is all this unit doing is muting the radio? What speaker/mic is used? Im just trying to understand all of this im sure there are threads but an all in one thread would be great to newbs like me.

nikon
01-24-07, 08:49 PM
So you still need an aftermarket bluetooth kit? Is all this unit doing is muting the radio? What speaker/mic is used? Im just trying to understand all of this im sure there are threads but an all in one thread would be great to newbs like me.

all that does is mute the radio, basically puts it in onstar mode, and routes the audio through the speakers...you still have to buy a bt car kit.

CHP N-V
01-24-07, 09:04 PM
Yea but is there a kit that does it all???

Black Sunshine
01-24-07, 09:06 PM
I've read thru their site before.

Their unit gives you access to the car's oncrap microphone and stereo speakers/mute.

Problem 1: Still need a blue tooth kit to give their unit a signal to mute & turn on the onstar equipment.

Problem 2: They do not list the CTS/CTS-V for any of their products.

Mmmmmm.... I wonder where I can fit this 12" touch screen I've got laying around the house. Me thinks it's carputer time and just do it my way.:annoyed:

nikon
01-24-07, 10:48 PM
I've read thru their site before.

Their unit gives you access to the car's oncrap microphone and stereo speakers/mute.

Problem 1: Still need a blue tooth kit to give their unit a signal to mute & turn on the onstar equipment.

Problem 2: They do not list the CTS/CTS-V for any of their products.

Mmmmmm.... I wonder where I can fit this 12" touch screen I've got laying around the house. Me thinks it's carputer time and just do it my way.:annoyed:

dunno about 12in, but I saw a pic of a 7in touchscreen mounted under the nav screen, I forget where they relocated the hvac panel too...but, anythings possible...and for the all-in-one thing...everyone wants something different...and also I dont thing it will take advantage of the on-star mic, you still need to install the mic that comes with the bt kit.

C-TX-V
02-26-07, 09:21 AM
Just got this reply from Coastal Electronics on their Bluetooth Lockpick:

sorry no.
Please let me know if I may assist you further : )
Kelley
http://www.coastaletech.com (http://www.coastaletech.com/)
mailto: support@coastaletech.com

To: support@coastaletech.com
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 4:49 PM
Subject: GM Onstar Lockpick

Will the Onstar Lockpick work in a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V with Nav?

C-TX-V
02-26-07, 09:26 AM
I've really been frustrated over the last several months trying to find an integrated Bluetooth solution...I've read multiple threads and nada! Please chime in and let me know if you have a COMMERCIALLY available bluetooth adapter that is integrated into your nav system, mutes, the stereo, etc. Thanks In Advance.

nikon
02-26-07, 10:46 AM
^^^a couple of us are testing them now....you'll know when the time is right.

BBD
02-26-07, 01:51 PM
I think we are all waiting for a blue tooth kit for this car. When you guys find a good solution or know of vendors that are marketing a workable version, that would be great. :thumbsup:

lawfive
02-26-07, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, BBD. Head over to the Lounge and introduce yourself. A really cute 19 year old girl will snuggle up to you and say, "Hi."

RunningOnEMT
02-26-07, 01:56 PM
what he said

welcome!

and where in VA are you located...seems to be a growing contingent around theseparts, i'm in Vienna myself

BBD
02-26-07, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I will go over to the other section and introduce myself. I live in Fairfax, VA. I will include more info in my introduction.

ctsvett
03-03-07, 07:48 PM
I'll sell a kit to anyone who wants one..

1. Its not easy to install
2. I will sell it to you at cost to me, so no returns, its all on you
3. It is the full integration you want.
4. its not 100% perfect, but is what you want

Reed

Details
03-03-07, 07:55 PM

Reed

Whats the cost?

Not sure if I would have enough time, but if the price is right I will wait till I'm done with my 3000 other projects.

Thanks

Imperator
03-03-07, 09:05 PM

Reed

Reed,

Is this your engineering eval kit or can you furnish more? Any word on production pieces, and is your relationship with R&M still good?

ctsvett
03-04-07, 12:06 PM
I am not sure when or if this kit will ever recieve a true production level kit. Our market is just too small for a specialized kit..

I have been given the option to sell these kits. I am not looking to make money on these so I would only pass them at my cost + shipping along to THOSE WHO ARE COMPETANT enough to install them. I would help support them, but I will not take returns unless it is defective since I am not in this to lose money.

Cost for the interface box might be $110.
You would need to buy a Motorola IFH-1000 kit on your own to go with the interface box.

The kit works well. Some people out here are testing them now and can comment. I love mine and use it all the time. Yes, there are some weird things once and a while, but most of the time it works great!

Reed

TurnStyle
03-11-07, 08:56 PM
Hello Reed,
I am interested in the interface box. Is there a quiz to take? Anyone else out there have the kit willing to comment on function/installation?

Thanks!
-James

nikon
03-11-07, 09:47 PM
It was a breeze to install...too me at least, if you've got a couple hours and know how to remove/reinstall interior panels theres nothing to it....and the only thing in my car that makes it only 99% perfect is the fact that somehow it screws with my fan speed...if you start the car with prompts off the fan speed wont go above 3...but if prompts are on (in other words if the bt kit activates when you turn the car on and tells you it's ready it works fine) for talking on the phone it is perfect...for nextel walkie talkie (and this has nothing to do with the interface box, just the moto bt kit) it sucks...I usually disable the kit to talk on my walkie talkie, but otherwise I love it...

and for the quiz you wanna take...

have you ever installed an aftermarket radio before?
do you know how to use wire taps/crimps etc.
are you afraid to take your car apart?
do you have half a brain when it comes to electronics??

like I said it's easy, alot of wires but reed has that all taken care off and has a guide to tell you what hooks up to what....it's well worth it, trust me.

TurnStyle
03-12-07, 10:56 AM
Thanks Nikon. I really did not WANT to take a quiz but from the sounds of Reeds message there may of been one. :)

Installed way too many aftermarket radios, have used taps and crimps before, already taken the rear deck apart once and I have at least half a brain althou by wife probably disagrees.

srracer
03-12-07, 12:39 PM
In my opinion, its not hard to install the Bluetooth kit. The reason that I chose not to pursue production of my unit, was because this is a really good unit at $110.

The hardest part of the install is tapping into the Onstar wiring harness. Next hardest is running the mic wire through the headliner. Neither of those are particularly difficult, but I think Reed's point is that if you are uncomfortable doing that type of stuff, don't buy the kit. It's not plug&play reversible because of the tapping into the Onstar box.

I personally chose to tap into power and RAC differently than the 'standard' procedure, and honestly, I think my way is quite a bit cleaner and easier, but overall I would rate this a 4 on an index of 1-10 (10 being hardest). The hardest I've had so far is probably the auto start I installed on my wife's Nissan Altima, at about a 7... or maybe the custom sub box/amp rack/etc on my brother's show car (TT 94 Supra)..that one was definitely up there.. maybe an 8. :-)

-Chris

nikon
03-12-07, 01:16 PM
^^^ are you still using your kit, or the R&M one??? Any of you guys notice if it fuks with your a/c controls at all??? I've learned to deal with it..but still, was just hoping I wasn't alone ;)

and turnstyle, you should have no problems installing the kit...I got confused at first because I tried to visualize the install in my head....just start rippin stuff apart and pluggin things in and it'll all come to you...I agree the hardest part for me was running the mic in the headliner...and deciding where to put the control panel....

GOTTSPD
03-12-07, 04:44 PM
I installed it (just posted here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/101393-bluetooth.html)
and it's really not hard. I had some trouble picking a location for the mic as well. I wanted to hide it in the sunroof control panel, but I ended up sticking it to the outside of it to facilitate the best possible sound I could. The control panel is well placed to the right of and just behind the steering wheel. Works great there! Easy to access, looks nice...

Go for it... It's great!

ctsvett
03-13-07, 12:01 AM
I'll sell a kit to anyone for $110 (my cost including shipping) with No warranty other than my promise to help you make it work via e-mail. If it is broken or DOA, I can get it replaced, but I am not going to make money on these, so I am not going to take a loss...

R&M probably wont sell right away these because of the issues they had with the iPod kit and the hit they had to take.

Your choice... Email me if interested.

Reed

srracer
03-14-07, 10:20 AM
^^^ are you still using your kit, or the R&M one??? Any of you guys notice if it fuks with your a/c controls at all??? I've learned to deal with it..but still, was just hoping I wasn't alone ;)

Right now, I'm using the R&M kit for Bluetooth and my kit was for black box development. I was interested to see if the R&M kit worked any better than my own, since I thought I was getting some strange delay problems at first. In the end, I think that for whatever reason, my module actually had less delay than the R&M module (less of the motorola voice seemed to get cutoff with mine). My guess is that my module had a lot less overhead than the R&M one, which looks to be a much more universal serial bus design that is likely to be able to handle other busses than just the VPWJ1850 on the CTS-V's.

That said, I never packaged mine into a nice housing or anything, so the R&M kit saved me some time there and is definitely well put together for the price. I had thoughts of selling mine for $150-$175 - any less wouldn't have been worth it for me to pursue in small volume productions. When R&M can get this out there for $110 through Reed - that's a great deal in my opinion.

So for now, I'll keep my proto unit as a little serial bus black box development tool...though I don't expect to do too much in the next few months. We moved most of our stuff into storage while we wait for the new house to get built.

-Chris

nikon
03-14-07, 10:32 AM
you know thats the one thing I find strange you guys have problems with delays and voice being cut off, and I've never had a problem with that...strange.

JimmyH
03-14-07, 04:46 PM
Just curious, why wouldn't you just buy a parrot kit and tap into the speaker wires? They may even have custom harnesses so there is no splicing of the car's wiring.

GOTTSPD
03-14-07, 04:56 PM
Just curious, why wouldn't you just buy a parrot kit and tap into the speaker wires? They may even have custom harnesses so there is no splicing of the car's wiring.

There's no kit other than the RM kit for our cars. Also, just tapping into the speaker wires wouldn't cause the radio to mute, which is a very helpful function...

ctsvett
03-14-07, 10:51 PM

no other kit I know of will mute the radio... the R7M kit does interface with the stock stereo speakers (if you choose to use this feature over the speaker included with the Moto kit)

Reed

ctsvett
03-14-07, 11:04 PM
once I have five orders, I will place the order in groups of five (if anyone is interested).. I AM NOT making any money on this. I am passing my cost along to everyone on these forums so I am not willing to take a big risk on these. Again here are the requirements:

1. You must be willing to UNPLUG and completely disconnect onstar
2. You must be willing to accept NO warranty (other than DOA or physical failure of the box) on this interface box
3. You need to buy a motorola Bluetooth kit (I recommend IHF-1000) in ADDITION to this interface box
4. You must be willing to install yourself or have a reputable installer install it (its not 100% easy). I give it a 6 on the 1-10 scale for difficulty. Instructions are here: Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/btkitinstall/

Reed

JimmyH
03-15-07, 08:29 PM
no other kit I know of will mute the radio... the R7M kit does interface with the stock stereo speakers (if you choose to use this feature over the speaker included with the Moto kit)

Reed

The parrot kit does mute the radio, well, it doesn't mute the radio per se, but it does cut the sound going from the radio to the speakers when bluetooth is active. That is why you have to tap into the speakers wires. They sell custom made harness that you unplug the connector from the radio, then plug the connector into the parrot, and plug the parrot into the radio. I have a similiar adapter on my Nokia CK-7W. It works well.

ctsvett
03-17-07, 01:02 AM
The parrot kit does mute the radio, well, it doesn't mute the radio per se, but it does cut the sound going from the radio to the speakers when bluetooth is active. That is why you have to tap into the speakers wires. They sell custom made harness that you unplug the connector from the radio, then plug the connector into the parrot, and plug the parrot into the radio. I have a similiar adapter on my Nokia CK-7W. It works well.

Do they have a kit for the V? I want to remind everyone that he V radio is different than most EVERY other car.

The R&M bluetooth kit will acutally pause the radio (or ipod) as well while you are on the car... just like onstar. WIth the R7M kit, you just replace the onstar functionality with your cell phone.

Reed

TomSt
04-12-07, 08:16 AM
This may have been covered but I did not see it anywhere I looked - Reed, with your kit can you splice into the mic already in the car instead of having to run a seperate one?

ctsvett
04-12-07, 11:57 PM
a beta tester tried this, but the quality was not there.... Using the mic that comes with the moto kit is best if you ask me.

Reed

srracer
04-13-07, 09:32 PM
That's correct - I was the one who wired into the Onstar mic.

It works, and when the car is quiet it works well. But as soon as there is any noise, the noise cancellation circuitry of the Motorola unit seems to be incompatible with the the impedance of the onstar mic and the quality drops rapidly.

-Chris

TurnStyle
04-14-07, 11:38 PM
Which microphone did you tap into? I believe the On Star microphone is on the bottom of the rearview mirror. The mic in the overhead console is the Noise Compensation Mic that the entertainment system uses to adjust the volume of the radio system as background noise levels change.

-James

ctsvett
04-15-07, 12:38 PM
those 3 mics that you are talking about are all the same...

the mic in the overhead is the same noise compensation, onstar, voice note, mic.. its all one

Reed