: Need a favor, Try something for me..should take 2 seconds.

nikon
01-24-07, 01:52 PM
Ok, Im trying to work out some bugs in the BT interface here and need your help...ok heres the favor, but you kinda need to be in a currently warm area while doing it.

-Start your car, and set your a/c to auto, auto everything, turn your temp down to 60 and make sure it's warm enough outside that your fans are blowing at full speed.

-now push your on-star button, does'nt matter if you have the service or not.

-alright now if Im right your fan speed should lower itself as soon as you press the on-star button.

-if your fans did lower themselves, GREAT! (for me at least) and now when you exit on-star they should go back to blowing full blast again.

If that's not what happens please let me know, so I can try and figure out whats going on.
And if that is what happens, definitely let me know so I can actually sleep tonight, for once not trying to figure out whats going on with this damned car.

Thanks for any help guys.

AmesCTS-V
01-24-07, 02:03 PM
turn your temp down to 60 and make sure it's warm enough outside that your fans are blowing at full speed.

It's going to be a while before some of us can even do that:)

rand49er
01-24-07, 02:50 PM
It's going to be a while before some of us can even do that:)Yup. It's 28 degrees and falling here ... sorry.

nikon
01-24-07, 04:25 PM
LOL, so does everyone live in a frozen tundra :D

I guess I forgot that in other parts of the country theres actually such a thing as a climate change :p

OzarksHillbilly
01-24-07, 04:34 PM
It's too cold here for me to perform the test as you describe. But I can tell you from memory that the sequence you describe is exactly how my '05 behaves. When I use OnStar to make a phone call (or when someone calls me) while the air-conditioner is blowing vigorously, the fan speed decreases while I am connected, then returns when the call is concluded. I've always assumed it does so to cut down on cabin noise during the call...

Blackcadi05
01-24-07, 04:37 PM
Mine does that as well. I asked the dealer about it and he said it's so you can hear the people at Onstar clearly and they can hear you clearly. He told me that all V's should do it.

The Tony Show
01-24-07, 05:20 PM
It is a feature of the car. They all do it.

nikon
01-24-07, 05:24 PM
awesome....good, so that means Im so far quirk free :D

thanks for the help.

1QUICKV
01-24-07, 05:25 PM
the radio does it too, when the windoews are open....

nikon
01-24-07, 05:31 PM
the radio does it too, when the windoews are open....

don't you have to have the speed sensitive volume control on for that?? cause I've never noticed it....too many electronics if you ask me. :bighead:

The Tony Show
01-24-07, 05:46 PM
No problem on the answer- I'm the master of minutiae when it comes to Cadillac product knowledge.

As far as the radio, Nikon is correct that the radio volume goes up only if the Auto Volume Control is active. It not only changes the volume, but also the Bass and treble settings, and I personally think it sucks. My radio sounds ten times better with AVC off.

dqw1
01-24-07, 06:39 PM
Guess my AVC is a lemon. All it does it provide nice bass and does not adjust the level at all. Even tho' my buttons have some chips, there's no way I'm swapping. I leave my AVC on.

The Tony Show
01-24-07, 07:51 PM
Sound is a subjective thing. It depends on what music you're listening to, as well as your own tastes in sound quality. For my music and my taste, turning off the AVC improved my stock sound system drastically.

nikon
01-24-07, 08:52 PM
Sound is a subjective thing. It depends on what music you're listening to, as well as your own tastes in sound quality. For my music and my taste, turning off the AVC improved my stock sound system drastically.

I agree, even though it's light years ahead of the avc in two prior cars, (camaro and tahoe) I still dont like it...I'd rather crank it myself....still kinda neat though...my moms lexus does it too, but only when the top goes down, and it's pretty noticeable...changes fade settings and stuff too.

ctsvett
01-25-07, 12:52 AM
I turned AVC off about 3 years ago, about 2 days after I got the car and NEVER turned it on again...

Can someone confirm for me the A/C change when on an onstar call. I had not heard about that (but then I dont have nor use onstar). What year car, what settings, etc

Thanks!

Reed

rgd
01-25-07, 01:22 AM
Huh, you know what I'm so damn good I can probably figure just about anything out on the CTS or the CTS-v without even touching the car.
04's anyway~

Lol, I just received today, my 3 volume set, approx 7,000 page's of Cadillac Repair Manual info with the official "GM Authentic Technical Service Information " seal on each one.

Everything you wanted to know about your car but were afraid to pay someone else to fix!

Sorry man, it's just my way of saying there is a great manual available for those interested at, "books4cars.com".

I'll leave now...

rgd
01-25-07, 01:38 AM
Crap, me and my big typing fingers. Lets put this to test. The answer would be in Volume 3 which includes:
Body, Restraints,
Vehicle Control Systems,
Accessories
I think wait no...
Volume 1:
General Information, HVAC,
STEERING, SUSPENSION,
DRIVLINE/AXEL, BRAKES, ENGINE

:lies:

OK SO MAYBE I LIED, BUT THESE BOOKS WILL SURE TELL YOU HOW TO DIAGNOSE AND FIX A PROBLEM!

I turned AVC off about 3 years ago, about 2 days after I got the car and NEVER turned it on again...

Can someone confirm for me the A/C change when on an onstar call. I had not heard about that (but then I dont have nor use onstar). What year car, what settings, etc

Thanks!

Reed

Kadonny
01-25-07, 07:54 AM

Thanks!

Reed

Reed, I can confirm this on my old 06 V. When you get in the car, and the temp in the car is well above the a/c setting temp, the car will turn the a/c fan on high to cool it down asap. When this happens, if you press the onstar button to make a call, the fan speed slows down so you can hear your onstar call. When you hang up, the fan speeds up again (assuming the car has not cooled down enough yet).

You know how loud the highest fan speed is........very loud. That's why the car slows it down for the call. My guess is it only happens upon initial cooldown of the cabin and only if the fan is on the highest speed.

ewill3rd
01-25-07, 08:58 AM
I am not sure what year they added this feature, it has more to do with which generation of OnStar unit you have actually.

It is a normal condition, the blower speed is reduced so that your microphone will not be overwhelmed by blower noise when you are in a conversation.

You can override automatic control once you are in a call, press the blower speed up button and it will increase.
I think they added this feature in '05 for CTS-V but I don't have time to research the specifics right now.

I haven't seen text in the manual regarding this feature of OnStar.
I did do an HVAC update course yesterday where they mentioned this feature.