: Eldorado O2 sensors.

dkozloski
01-24-07, 01:06 PM
Where are they and how many O2 sensors are there in a 1998 Eldorado?

chance_b
01-24-07, 01:16 PM
Where are they and how many O2 sensors are there in a 1998 Eldorado?

I've only worked on my Seville (are the Seville and Eldo not similar tho?), but there should be at least two, located either right on or behind the exhaust manifolds.. if there's a third (only on 4.6 cars I believe) it's located right behind the cat.

Sorry for the non-Eldo specific info, I felt like contributing anyway.

dkozloski
01-24-07, 01:24 PM
I've only worked on my Seville (are the Seville and Eldo not similar tho?), but there should be at least two, located either right on or behind the exhaust manifolds.. if there's a third (only on 4.6 cars I believe) it's located right behind the cat.

Sorry for the non-Eldo specific info, I felt like contributing anyway.
A guy on another forum claims he only has two, one ahead and one behind the cat. His OBDII scanner shows three data points for O2 sensors.

eldorado1
01-24-07, 01:40 PM
All northstars have o2 sensors in both exhaust manifolds. Beyond that, there might be one in front of and behind the cat, or just one behind the cat. I don't know.

JimD
01-24-07, 02:33 PM
There might be four and there will certainly be three.

During the 1998 model year, the sensor in front of the catalytic converter was discontinued. Some have it but later production cars do not.

Ranger
01-24-07, 02:49 PM
Koz,
My '97 had 4. One on each manifold, one pre CAT and one aft CAT. At some point (not sure when), they eliminated the pre CAT sensor, so I would say you should have 3 or 4. The only one in question is the pre CAT sensor.

EDIT: oops, guess Jim covered the pre CAT sensor timing. Read the post to quickly.

dkozloski
01-24-07, 03:13 PM
Koz,
My '97 had 4. One on each manifold, one pre CAT and one aft CAT. At some point (not sure when), they eliminated the pre CAT sensor, so I would say you should have 3 or 4. The only one in question is the pre CAT sensor.

EDIT: oops, guess Jim covered the pre CAT sensor timing. Read the post to quickly.
Thanks a load guys. The owner of the car was being told one thing by a service advisor and finding another when he crawled under the car. He has an early car with four sensors. His advisor told him there were two O2 sensors and he thought he had found both but he was looking at what the advisor was calling cat monitors and hadn't found the O2 sensors yet. It's all straightened out now. Thanks again.