: Speaker suggestions? ETC

Danwec
01-24-07, 01:56 AM
Looking to upgrade speakers in the Caddy. I currently have a nice Pioneer slide-down face with OL display (50w*4) and I have a sweet Orion Cobalt I could install but I just don't want to deal with running cables through the car.
I also don't want to install a sub if I don't have to (I have one, but again... more wires)

Any recommendations on speakers? The rear 6x9's have been replaced with Alpines, but they a really bad. Also, the stock non-bose speakers are still in the doors... damn bad.

For the door speakers, I've heard I can leave the tweeters in place and just replace the 4 inchers (or whatever size they are..... what are they??).
Thanks for any suggestions. I listen to everything from Groove Armada to Coldplay. Dance music but no hip hop. I'm going for sound quality.
Thanks for any suggestions. I want to do an absolute minumum in modifcations, so direct bolt ins for those front speakers are appreciated.

CadillacSTS42005
01-24-07, 09:41 AM
the fronts being its not bose is a 5 1/4 with a tweeter, thats a bonus, in my car when i removed the bose, i went to a yard and grabbed that bracket for the 5 1/4 set up from a wrecked Eldo, much better than the 4 inchers i had mounted in the bose boxes.
anyways, im a HUGE fan of infinity, reference if your trying to save money and you dont plan on blasting your stereo until "the speakers bleed", Infinity Kappas which are a step up are the ones i usually reccomend, nice power handeling and VERY good sound for the money.

Get a set of infinity kappa 5 1/4 components, theyll give you the tweet and the mid, for the rears, you can get infinity kappa 2 or 3 ways, 3 ways will help if you put a sub in, its more treb to help balance, but if your looking to save money get the 2 ways, personally for the couple extra bucks, id get the 3 ways, helps project more sounds.

obviously there are other speaker companys you can look into, and really when it comes down to it, go to an audio shop and listen to everything, see what you like.
other companies you may wanna check out
Kicker
Polk

the727kid
01-24-07, 12:19 PM
5.25 will not do him well AT ALL. He listens to rock and dance, which 6.5s" mid-bass is optimal especially since he doesn't have any subs. The 6.5" will reproduce the quick beats very well.

What is your budget and how many watts does your amp put out?

For about $360 and some time you can have EXCELLENT sound and your mid-bass will be VERY strong, well depending on your amp.

Danwec
01-24-07, 12:55 PM
6.5's will require some serious cutting to fit in the doors, though, would they not? Again, I'm trying to keep modifications to the minimum and go bolt in. I won't be keeping this car forever.
The amp is 40wRMS x4, but it's a handbuilt Orion, and kicks as much as many 200w/channel amps I've used.

the727kid
01-24-07, 02:51 PM
For those speakers you would need more power to get mid-bass moving. But just make a wood plate, I can take pictures of mine and drill it in and then when you sell puit the original back in.

CadillacSTS42005
01-24-07, 04:13 PM
dude i was talkin drop in application
the best he can do without cutting or having a plate made is 5.25...

the727kid
01-24-07, 05:03 PM
True, I say it would be worth it to make the plate though.

Danwec
01-24-07, 05:53 PM
Yeah, sure, take some pics and email em to danwec@cogeco.ca

If I'm going the route to make up a wood panel, I might as well put the work into installing the amps. At least the the wiring harness is already in the trunk. The only thing I have to feed through the car are the RCA's to the HU, and a power wire. I just don't want to do that at all. No idea where to feed it through the firewall. I'd rather just go with my powerful head unit, some good speakers, and leave the wiring stock.

If I got line level adaptors, I would only have to feed a power wire through the car...... decisions decisions. Is the routing simple for the cable? (I've installed at least a dozen stereos... I just don't want to be doing much work to this car)

I've never used the adaptors, is there a noticable decrease in sound quality over using the straight RCA's?

the727kid
01-24-07, 06:26 PM
Installing on a Eldorado is VERY easy. There is grommet already on the drivers side firewall big enough to fit 2 0 gauge wires. All you have to do is get a 7mm and lower the panel under the dash to grab the wire then take off the door sill panel (pops right up) and run it under there and through the back seat (need to remove rear carpet). I could do it in 10 minutes.