: 18 in breaks or 19 in breaks?

Benjamin Simon
01-24-07, 12:21 AM
Hi, I am now in the market for my STS.
I wanted to get everyone view on the break options.
The 1SG comes with 18 inch breaks with W rated tires standard. You have the option to get some performance package with 19 inch breaks and Z rated tires. Am I going to notice the extra inch?
And what is the 18 inch part? The rotor? The pads? I don't see it having 18 inch pads...
If you get the performance package, you cannot get the AWD. It is a either, or option.

harryctsv
01-24-07, 04:28 AM
Hi, I am now in the market for my STS.
I wanted to get everyone view on the break options.
The 1SG comes with 18 inch breaks with W rated tires standard. You have the option to get some performance package with 19 inch breaks and Z rated tires. Am I going to notice the extra inch?
And what is the 18 inch part? The rotor? The pads? I don't see it having 18 inch pads...
If you get the performance package, you cannot get the AWD. It is a either, or option.
Hi Ben,
first, only the STS V comes with 19 inch wheels!
The 18 or 19 inch is the size of the wheel and has nothing to do with the brakes.

I have the export model here in Germany and the V8`s here come with 18 ich wheels and Brembo brakes.

Here are a pic of my wheels.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/harrysxlr/PICT0023.jpg

Harry

mocts
01-24-07, 11:19 PM
wish they came in america like that to. the ctsv rims look clean

Benjamin Simon
01-24-07, 11:48 PM
Forgive me if I was not clear. I am well aware of rim sizes. My question was with the breaks.
With the 1 SG package, you have two choices with breaks.
Standard
Performance Brakes, 17-In. (Mfr Code JE5)
Front SBRP235/50WR18 and Rear SBRP255/45WR18 BSW, Michelin(R) All Season Tires

Optional
Performance Handling Package (Mfr Code QAF)
Front SBRP235/45ZR18 and Rear SBRP255/45ZR18 Michelin(R) Pilot Sport, Summer High Performance Tires
Performance Brakes, 18-In.

When you get the Performance Handling Package, you get Z rated tires, opposed to W rated. That is not very important to me since I do not plan on ever going faster than 140mph.

My question is with the breaks. Standard you get Performance Brakes, 17-In. (Mfr Code JE5) or you can get Performance Brakes, 18-In. with the Performance Handling Package (Mfr Code QAF)

I was mistaken in my first posting. There is not 19 inch break.

What is the 17 inch and 18 inch a measurement of? The rotors? Pads?
Is this extra inch something I should concern myself at all about? Does anyone have Performance Handling Package (Mfr Code QAF)? Did they notice better breaking?

Again, the Z rated tires are not important. I just want to know if this extra inch on the breaks is even noticeable and what is this a measurement of? If it is rotors, can perhap I could put larger rotors on there if I need breaking.

FYI the Performance Handling Package (Mfr Code QAF) is not an option with AWD 5-Speed Automatic Transmission With Overdrive (Mfr Code MV3).

This is for the 2005 and 2006 v8 STS

harryctsv
01-25-07, 07:45 AM
Ben,
I think here is the info you`re looking for:

the standard STS has 11,9 front discs
11,7 rear discs

perf. brakes are 12,7 front
12,6 rear

my export V8 STS with Brembo`s got 14,0 front
14,3 rear

I hope I could help you on this.

Harry

Benjamin Simon
01-25-07, 10:56 PM
Thanks Harry.
I suppose I was trying to find out if the 18in breaks were at all better than the 17in breaks.
But, I think I am going with AWD, so it is a moot point.

BirdJC
01-30-07, 10:08 AM
ITS "BRAKES" NOT BREAKS..... sorry but that was just driving me nuts reading this thread.

robert
01-30-07, 04:14 PM
Me too, THANKS !

Cajonkev
01-30-07, 08:21 PM
Ditto-but I couldn't bring myself to say it!

Benjamin Simon
01-30-07, 09:01 PM
All I can say is I am embarrassed and I have no excuse.
I would edited the past postings if I could.
That was just ridiculous.

Cajonkev
01-31-07, 01:28 AM
No worries...purely a "Brain Cloud"...:lolsign:

As if I hadn't ever had one!