: Remote Start Duration

Kris
01-23-07, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know how you change the duration of time before remote start shuts off your car automatically? It seems like on my 2005 sts the car automatically shut off after a very short time of being on.

Any help is appriciated, thanks...

rchern
01-23-07, 06:44 PM
I think that the way it works is once you've started it remotely you get 10 minutes then if you hit the remote start button again while it's running you get another 10 minutes from the time that you hit the button the second time. So if you started it and hit the remote button after 1 minute you would get 11 minutes total. If you hit the remote after 9 minutes you would get 19 minutes total.

Caroutisine
01-23-07, 07:55 PM
I think that the way it works is once you've started it remotely you get 10 minutes then if you hit the remote start button again while it's running you get another 10 minutes from the time that you hit the button the second time. So if you started it and hit the remote button after 1 minute you would get 11 minutes total. If you hit the remote after 9 minutes you would get 19 minutes total.

This is correct. These is no way to change the duration. I never timed it to see if my '05 runs the full 10 minutes, but I agree that it seems short. If you use it 2 times as described above and the car shuts off, then you have to bring the fob inside the car and start it with the button. The auto start feature will not start the car more than 2 times in a row, and there is no way to exceed the 19 or 20 minute duration. But then again after that amount of time the car should be plenty warmed up anyway.

Kris
01-24-07, 02:04 PM
Thanks For Your Help Nice To Have This Resource.....

bigdog9586
01-24-07, 07:54 PM
I too think the 10 min. is a little on the lite side. My truck with aftermarket remote start was programable at 10, 15, 20. As this is truck was my 3rd with remote start I find that 20 min. is just right when it really gets cold. All 10 does is take a little chill off. 20 clears all the windows and makes the truck nice and cozy. Another feature I really use alot is the hold the remote start down while the engine is running and you can then turn off the key and it will stay running for the timed duration. Great for stopping in the local store for a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 09:34 PM
GM factory remote start gives you two 10 minute run periods consecutively.
If you want another you have to open the door, insert the key and cycle the ignition on and off. This resets the counter and you can get 2 more 10 minute cycles.

antddaddy
01-24-07, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know how much it cost to replace battery in the FOB or if it is even replaceable, I can't get my car to remote start from over 30ft away now. I have not got a message saying low battery in the FOB yet but it does seem to be losing power.

ewill3rd
01-25-07, 07:21 AM
There is usually a groove cut into the side of one of the halves, I usually insert a coin in there and twist. The newer ones are much harder to open than the old ones, presumably for a tighter seal.
Once it is open you simply need a battery. You can get them almost anywhere, radio shack, target, probably even wally world (wal mart).
Just match the battery number with the one on the existing battery and note the orientation of the battery before you remove it. There is usually a thing inside that says "+ side down"

antddaddy
01-25-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks

wolfster5
01-26-07, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the run time duration (longer than 10 minutes) or the # of times it can be restarted without opening the door to restart the cycle. Perhaps there's a computer chip for this?

malcolm
01-26-07, 07:43 PM
How about increasing the range for remote start. Anyone know if there is a booster?

ewill3rd
01-26-07, 07:57 PM
If they increased the range and increased the run time people would just complain because the range isn't far enough and the run time isn't long enough.

Can't we all just accept things for what they are?

Besides, if they increased the run time, everyone would just start complaining that they can't figure out why their gas mileage got so bad all of the sudden.
:D

antddaddy
01-26-07, 09:45 PM
If they increased the range and increased the run time people would just complain because the range isn't far enough and the run time isn't long enough.

Can't we all just accept things for what they are?

Besides, if they increased the run time, everyone would just start complaining that they can't figure out why their gas mileage got so bad all of the sudden.
:D

agreed, that may be unreasonable but a chip to make the cooling seats or the heated seats come on at a reasonable temperatures with remote start and stay on once you get in car.

ewill3rd
01-27-07, 09:52 AM
I do get confused by the way they control the seat heater and HVAC options.
I am sure some engineer somewhere thought it was a great idea to do it that way.

Kadonny
02-01-07, 04:05 PM
I do get confused by the way they control the seat heater and HVAC options.
I am sure some engineer somewhere thought it was a great idea to do it that way.

So Will, care to explain to me what is the real way the heated seats and defroster are supposed to work upon remote start?

I have both set to "on" in the programming menu, and only the defroster seems to kick on, but at a fairly low speed (I know, the car engine is not all that hot in a short period to blow hot air).

Thanks.

ewill3rd
02-01-07, 04:33 PM
I can get you description and operation text from the manual.
I know it is all based on the ambient temperature.
We'll see if we can understand "engineer" speak.

Remote Start and Personalization
If the remote start personalization feature for climate control is selected through radio, the HVAC control module will receive information that defines the current driver of the vehicle from the Ezkey module through GMLAN communication. This information shall be stored inside the HVAC control module memory. When a different key fob is selected, the HVAC control module will recall the appropriate driver settings. The full auto mode and previous set temp will be commanded if ambient air temperature is above 0°C (32°F). Defrost mode will be commanded when the ambient air temperature is below 0°C (32°F). Upon a battery reset, the HVAC control module shall also set the driver ID to Driver#1. The HVAC system will memorize the following system configurations for up to 2 unique drivers:

• Driver set temperature

• Passenger set temperature

• Mode

• Blower motor speed

• A/C compressor request, auto ON or A/C OFF

If the remote start personalization feature for heated and vented seat control is selected through radio, if the inside air temperature is below 12°C (54°F) the heated seat will be commanded to high. If the inside air temperature is above 26°C (80°F) and the ambient air temperature is above 21°C (70°F) the vented seat will be commanded to high. When the HVAC control module is first turned On or key On, the last stored settings for the current driver will be activated, heat/vented seat control is carried over from remote start.

Not sure if that clears anything up or not.

Kadonny
02-02-07, 08:39 AM
Ok, I understand engineer speak, thanks!

As I said, the defroster seems to work on my car but I can't get the heated seat thing to work. We are well below 54 degrees and I have not had the seat heater kick on. I still have to see if you turn the car off with the seat on, does that matter or not for the remote start seat heat.

Thanks for the info though.