: Does anyone know if the cluster hold the mileage or does the car??

nikon
01-23-07, 03:50 PM
Just wondering, because I'd like to replace my cluster because I have a couple scratches on mine and was wondering if I got a used one that has more miles on it, if it will go back down to my original miles, or stay with what it had on it...Thanks.

Woody_MI
01-24-07, 12:01 AM
It will show the miles on the cluster. Dealers have to have the clusters sent out to have the correct mileage put on. I think the files are also stored somewhere else, but not positive about that one.

250motorsportz
01-24-07, 12:06 AM
Just get a new Speedometer overlay sheet thingy. Its just the paper part thats scratched or your WHOLE cluster? Send some pictures. I'll be sure to take any parts off it ;)

nikon
01-24-07, 12:32 AM
It will show the miles on the cluster. Dealers have to have the clusters sent out to have the correct mileage put on. I think the files are also stored somewhere else, but not positive about that one.

I know thats how it was on the pre-class II cars, I just was'nt sure about the newer cars...but good deal, so now the question is, how hard is it to swap clusters?? and would an 06' cluster work in my 05'??

250motorsportz
01-24-07, 12:35 AM
2006 should fit in your 2005, I believe they are damn close to the same. I will buy your overlay off of you. Post some pictures when you get time thanks!

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 05:42 AM
If you are concerned about the lens being scratched, rather than change out the whole cluster, check with the dealer to see if the lens is available.
I know they are for many clusters, I have replaced a few on Escalades.
Then you don't need to worry about the mileage.

The cluster must be sent out to be programmed with the correct mileage, it is stored in the cluster. The PCM keeps track but I think on some cars it gets that data from the IPC. You can change the cluster without changing the mileage but you will have to go to the highway patrol to get a mileage statement and they usually install a sticker on the car somewhere to indicate the odo reading has changed, not really a big boost for resale value if you do that.

Personally I would check for availability of the lens first.

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 07:27 AM
I checked with my Parts dept, it looks like the lens is not available.
I don't know how much our service centers charge for resetting the mileage on a cluster you provide.
Your dealer would have to call their service center to find out.

nikon
01-24-07, 09:46 AM
I checked with my Parts dept, it looks like the lens is not available.
I don't know how much our service centers charge for resetting the mileage on a cluster you provide.
Your dealer would have to call their service center to find out.

awesome, thanks guys.

Rey
01-24-07, 03:21 PM
The cluster lens is plastic, and scratches on plastic can be polished out. Check with any general aviation dealer as they frequently polish plastic aircraft windshields.
I constantly bump/scratch the plastic crystal of an old Rolex watch, and use basic plastic polish to hand-rub the scratches out. Been doing this for at least twenty years.

1QUICKV
01-24-07, 05:31 PM
The cluster lens is plastic, and scratches on plastic can be polished out. Check with any general aviation dealer as they frequently polish plastic aircraft windshields.
I constantly bump/scratch the plastic crystal of an old Rolex watch, and use basic plastic polish to hand-rub the scratches out. Been doing this for at least twenty years.

this is true.....

1QUICKV
01-24-07, 06:10 PM
they have one on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-5177-Nitrous-Kit-for-Camaro-Trans-Am-GTO-CTS-V_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33740QQihZ009QQitemZ1 90074242232QQrdZ1