Cadillac Owners Forum banner

non-Bose ---> Bose questions

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveFla 
#1 ·
Ok. Last year, I added a NAV to my non-Bose CTS. I used the instructions here, and it worked GREAT.

I just purchased a Bose amplifier. Using the wiring manuals for both the U66 (non-Bose) and the U57 (Bose), I figure that it can be done. I have all the connectors and wires, but before I start, I have a couple of questions for the Bose owners.

1. I don't think the stock (U66) speakers will work. Is this a correct assumption? www.crutchfield.com lists different speakers for the Bose and the non-Bose cars.

2. I will buy new speakers, crossovers, tweeters and woofer from Crutchfield to replace my factory speakers. Any suggestions as to kind? I am looking at the Polk Audio now.

3. The non-Bose does not have a center speaker. I have looked at the mount, and think it's a 3" speeker. Is this the correct size (3")? Any idea where I can find a suitable speaker (Crutchfield doesn't list one)?

4. I also have to add a noise compensating microphone. Does anyone know the impedence of the factory mic? Any suggestions where to find one? Will a cellular phone hands-free mic work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
FYI, regarding your kind PM to me...

I am a licensed aircraft mechanic. I would be willing to bet that my experience with electronics installations and troubleshooting far surpasses your garage installs at least ten-fold.

The directions for the NAV install posted here were fanastic. However, Phase II indicated that without the Bose amp, the voice guidance ould not work. It was further mentioned that before Miscreant could complete his Bose conversion, he sold his vehicle.

I am not sure what prompted your tirades (both here and via PM). Even if you are "one of the only guys on this forum that could have helped you with your install......." I would pass on your advice simply because of the vehicle you chose to deliver it.

Apparently, I stuck a nerve.

#6 ·
According to Phase II, a shielded wire from the Bose amp (plug C3 pin 9 to radio plug C1 pin 16, and from plug C3 pin 10 to radio plug C1 pin 4 with a drain wire from amp plug C3 pin 7) must be added for audible directions. This is in addition to the wire run from the VCIM to the radio (which I successfully completed after searching the market for the correct pins). The stock U57 amp has no output for the audible directions.

The only other differences between the stock (U66) and Bose (U57) amp are;

1. The noise compensation microphone must me added
2. The center speaker must be added
3. The bose has a single coil woofer
4. Speaker impedence
4. A wire (described above) must be added to enable the audible directions.

As I said, I don't want to install aftermarket items. I want to keep it as OEM as I possibly can.

Now, can anyone else answer the questions I posed above?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.