: 2-way alarm install

STS1320
01-23-07, 01:46 PM
I just bought a 2-way alarm system for my 96 STS. Im terrified to install it myself knowing that cadillacs have numerous electronics. Is it really easy as it seems because ive heard many people install their own aftermarket alarms themselfs. how much would it cost to get it installed at a shop.

the727kid
01-23-07, 02:29 PM
~$150 installed at a shop. It can be easy or difficult. I would say first off, search online for what you need. You will need a VATs by-pass ($40 or so online) and a T-Harness ($20 or so online). I installed one without the T-harness, it wasn't too bad I just had very little slack and room to work with. It take a while though, you have numerous wires to hook up, you will also need a test light or a DMM, to be done right, a soldering gun and heat shrink, crimps and electrical tape work as well. It can be done, given time and patience.

It is all worth it in the end when you hit the button and the car starts, knowing you installed that your self is great confidence lol.

EDIT: The one I installed was from BullDog Security, just a cheapo one for a friend. But go to their website, and look up your car it should have step-by-step instructions which will give you an idea of what you will need to do.

STS1320
01-25-07, 11:36 AM
Thanks but what is the T-harness it it the harness for the VAT bypass. I received the package today X-shield alarm. Looked at the booklet and doesnt look as hard as i thought just very time consuming. I went to a audio/ alarm place and they quoted me $250/labor thats double what i payed for the alarm!! Ill get more quotes or if worse comes to worse ill install it myself :(

the727kid
01-25-07, 03:39 PM
The t-harness is a harness you put inbetween the igniton connection, connect each side to the t-harness and then you have a free side to work with, no splicing.

samm
01-25-07, 05:49 PM
wow, 20 bucks for that? whats the advantage as to just splicing?

the727kid
01-25-07, 08:34 PM
What the advantage to a wiring harness as to splicing a factory harness?

STS1320
01-27-07, 10:04 PM
theres no t harness for my car

the727kid
01-28-07, 08:29 AM
then do it the old fashion way!